Documents for Drivers Licence renewal

Larrylah

I'm planning to apply for the 5 Years Drivers Licence when my 1 Year Licence expires in Dec. I need to clarify what the Licencing Authority mean about "Residence Registration" & "Certified Resident Report" documents, and where and how to get them?

I own a condo unit in my own name.

The documents required were stated as:

Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa (and 1 signed copy)

Residence Registration

Certified Resident Report and signed copy

Photos are taken at time of issuing.

Your old driving license

Many thanks!

Not sure where you are but a Residence Certificate is normally obtained from Immigration for a fee......Not sure what they mean by the Certified Residence report unless it is something to do with having it verified by your embassy?

You do not mention it but you would also normally need a medical certificate as well.

Edit - have you checked the pinned threads?

Edited by topt

What is required is governed by the office where you are applying. Please telephone or visit your local office and find out what documents are required. If you do not speak Thai take a friend or partner who can or get them to telephone.

Edited by ripstanley

I recently renewed from 1 year temporary to 5 year with:

-Copy of passport and visa pages.

-Original passport to show them.

-Old licenses

-Copies of old licenses (needed because they give you back the old one when cancelled and keep the copies)

-Medical certificate from any clinic

-Resident Certificate from Immigration. I do not own a residence so it may be different. Oddly, Immigration used a copy of my temporary license which shows your address as the basis for the Resident Certificate. You can try that if address is unchanged but suggest you take other documents as well.

In Bangkok if you don't have a work permit, which I don't, then you must have a certificate of residence. You can get it at either your embassy which is much more expensive or you can get one at the immigration office that you do your 90 day report. The last one I got at immigration in Bangkok was mailed to me and I received it in 11 days. Someone who was there last week (Immigration Bangkok) said he was told to come back and pick his up at the office in three weeks.

Edited by BobTH

Hello All,

I too am trying to obtain a valid Thai driving license, I have my expired (4 yrs ago) as attached, also medical cert, non-o visa, photos and UK license. However, I do not have a certificate of residence and the earliest date available to get this from the UK Embassy is 15th October. Will I still need a residence certificate issued by my Embassy to renew?

Thank you for any feedback,

Regards,

James.d

post-28038-0-59491700-1444200449_thumb.j

Hello All,

I too am trying to obtain a valid Thai driving license, I have my expired (4 yrs ago) as attached, also medical cert, non-o visa, photos and UK license. However, I do not have a certificate of residence and the earliest date available to get this from the UK Embassy is 15th October. Will I still need a residence certificate issued by my Embassy to renew?

Regards,

James.d

In Bangkok, if you do not have a work permit you must have a resident certificate. Getting the residence certificate at your Embassy will be more expensive but also faster than getting one at the Immigration office where you do your 90 day reports. At Bangkok Immigration they say it will be three weeks before you have it in hand. Bangkok used to mail them but someone said recently they were told to return to the Immigration office to pick theirs up.

Hello All,

Regards,

James.d

In Bangkok, if you do not have a work permit you must have a resident certificate. Getting the residence certificate at your Embassy will be more expensive but also faster than getting one at the Immigration office where you do your 90 day reports. At Bangkok Immigration they say it will be three weeks before you have it in hand. Bangkok used to mail them but someone said recently they were told to return to the Immigration office to pick theirs up.

james.d as a previous poster mentioned it will depend on what office you are trying to obtain it from. In Pattaya I have only ever used a letter from Immigration (specifically to apply/renew licences) and it was obtainable for a small fee almost immediately - or certainly within 24 hours.

You need to check with your local office.

Thank you all for your feedback, I managed to get an appointment 12th Oct for "oath, affirmation or affidavit" service at the British embassy. I hope this is the correct service for the certificate of residence. However, I have tried to call several times this morning to find out if I get the document immediately or next day collection and the answering machine in the British embassy is saying its closed. Does anyone know if this is indeed immediate or next day collection?

Thank you again,

BR,

James.d

• 2 months later...

Chiang Rai 5 year licence renewal (NOT a good idea to go there after a 5 day holiday)

On advice from here-prior day went to Mae Sai for residence certificate only to be told I needed to go to licence bureau first

Documents required-Old licence and copy - Passport and copy -visa page and copy - Yellow house book and copy - wifes house book and copy

At 8:30 AM already 60 people ahead of me

Go to first floor and present documents -2nd floor for vision test (identify color dots-preferential vision test - stop pedal test

Off for 1 hour safety film

Line up to pay 555B- line up for picture 100B -get new licence

Total 3 1/2 hours - actually not bad considering how many people were waiting

Just renewed my 5 year DL. I was the one that was asked to return to immigration to pick up the certification of residence and yes had to pick it up they didn't mail it. Turns out they didn't look at it as I was renewing a 5 year and my address was on my old 5 year license. Just needed a copy of passport main page, retirement visa page and Dr. Letter. Renewed before it expired hoping to miss out on the hour video, no luck had to sit through it. One hour and maybe covered 20 laws mostly soap opera about being nice when you drive or your son will become brain damaged. One good driver and one bad driver. When you watch the video see how many times the good driver is not wearing his seat belt? The physical test was funny, the lady asked if the two pins were aligned up? I said yes she said no and marked it passed. Then the eye test they asked yellow or green? I said green she said yellow then passed me. 5 Hours of wasted time.