Thai health ministry warns of dengue fever spread

webfact

Public health ministry warns of dengue fever spread

BANGKOK, 5 October 2015 (NNT) - Permanent Secretary for Public Health M.D.Sophon Mekthon has warned those who have a high fever in the rainy season to be cautious since they might have been infected with dengue fever.

The official said dengue fever cases were usually found from the end of the rainy season to winter and it could infect all groups of people. Statistics from the Bureau of Epidemiology showed that there were more than 80,000 dengue fever patients nationwide and 82 of them had died.

Most of the patients were 15-24 years old. At-risk people included overweight people, diabetic patients and people with high blood pressure or asthma, said M.D.Sophon.

The permanent secretary suggested those who had a high fever, headache, nausea suspect that they were infected with dengue fever. He advised them to seek medical care and not to buy medicines themselves, especially strong antipyretic and painkillers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-05 footer_n.gif

Most of the patients were 15-24 years old. At-risk people included overweight people, diabetic patients and people with high blood pressure or asthma, said M.D.Sophon.

---------------

good, i'm 100, five foot 10, 130 lbs, never eat sugar, and can breathe through a bar straw underwater for an hour..

this has clinched it....i will take my hammock into the jungles and save big money!!!!!

Edited by puukao

I live in Chiang MAi, for 4 years now, and just went thru a bout of Dengue, no laughing matter. Luckily it was a mild case, heavy symptoms for one week, then some fatigue for 2nd week.

I'm almost 64 yr, normal wt. no diabetes, eat a good diet but not perfect....go see a Dr. for platelet count, that is important, if too low they will monitor you closer, danger of bleeding.

They do spray , at least here they do in CM province , you got to make the pu yai ban and Obetoh aware that you and the neigbours would appreciate it a lot ,if they do not have the finances to have they blower or whatever you could help them out with it ,perhaps ,in return you want them to smoke the neigbourhood out every few weeks ...thank you very much ...it works ...

I see in the video clip from India which I posted earlier today, that they're still using Malathion (Maldison).

Our campus in Papua New Guinea used too spray the whole residential area on a weekly basis with Malathion fog. The PNG kids thought this was great fun to run along behind and be coated in the stuff.

I pointed out to the Safety Committee that this was not a great idea, as it's fairly active for a few days. They switched to Permethrin, and the mosquitoes which seemed to have developed a tolerance to Malathion, dropped like flies.

See "Malathion poisoning" https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002834.htm

I live in Chiang MAi, for 4 years now, and just went thru a bout of Dengue, no laughing matter. Luckily it was a mild case, heavy symptoms for one week, then some fatigue for 2nd week.

I'm almost 64 yr, normal wt. no diabetes, eat a good diet but not perfect....go see a Dr. for platelet count, that is important, if too low they will monitor you closer, danger of bleeding.

I've been over here many years and so far have dodged dengue, though I've been sick enough to want to die numerous times (food poisoning etc). Everyone I've met who's had it told me dengue is a real hard time. Take care and speedy recovery.