Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

I found it amusing when i was told last week by a doctor that the medical center chain she works for in asia now has a dual pricing policy for thais only, i asked how the thais react to it she said,

Not sure if they know they are being over charged, i dont work in reception, the owner is a regular visitor to thailand.

And sometimes locals get discounts.

What is a local?

It's somebody who lives in a particular vicinity, NOT somebody who lives in a particular vicinity and matches the personal prejudices of some goon in a ticket booth.

The "goon" is ordered to charge foreigners 200 baht.

The Thai person clearly looks like a farang so unless he could prove he was Thai the "goon" was doing his job.

If this Thai produced his ID then people have cause to complain but the report doesn't say he did.

IMO this was a set up!

What should we refer to someone that calls someone else a "goon"?

My post referred to your comment about "locals", by which you meant UK locals - your post was clear on that, since the quote is from a passage about UK.

My "What is a local?" is not about Thais, but about 'locals' anywhere in the world.

As for the 'goon' bit - I'd use that description for anyone in a position of authority, however little that authority might be, who applies personal prejudices in the course of their work wherever in the world they might be.

• Like 2

Time the Thai Gov't & Tourism Authority sort out this type of unfair price gouging of Farangs who contribute 100's of billions of baht to Thai economy every year.

This is one practice, i.e. price for Thais & price for Farangs to Gov't controlled facilities; there are many other totally discriminatory practices against Farangs.

Time for change!!!

None of which is based on third world racism.

Showing some decency to the young and old in the West is no justification for supporting racist behaviour in developing countries.

How about encouraging them to... develop?

Only a racist could consider this racism!

"No, you are... not me, you are..."

Get back to me when you graduate from the playground and have a real response.

Did you stick your tongue out after that very mature reply! And who are you quoting?

That is not a real response. Try again to answer why you support racism in developing countries.

• Like 2

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

When was the last time you used you driving licence?

The charge to most if not all national is 40 for a Thai national and 400 baht if not.

Are you really so daft to accept a 10 fold increase? Well you already stated you use your licence, so you are not! Slightly hypocritical!

Khao Yai Park and most now won't accept the driving licence, although some of the smaller ones still do if you ask politely in Thai.

The point about the driving licence was that even a foreigner that shows a form of Thai issued ID pays the Thai price. So if this Thai had shown his Thai ID he would probably have been treated the same.

Thais rarely leave home without ID. A western looking Thai visiting a place known to charge more for foreigners is either setting himself up for a story or should accept that with no proof of his nationality and looking like he does means he might be charged the higher price. My guess is the former!

I would only pay 400 baht if I thought If I felt the place I was visiting was worth it. The fact that Thais pay less doesn't bother me.

good on you farang lookin' Thai man and welcome to the club.

Keep gettin' the word out on social media. Together we can shut down the entire Thai tourist industry.

This guy must be popular with the Thai ladies.

Can we get this story translated to Chinese?

Do chinese also have to pay the farang-price?

it ain't just white people they profile. they can smell a non-Thai a mile away. The Chinese are easy to spot. They always look freaked out everywhere they go. Like they have never been outside before.

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

The charge to most if not all national is 40 for a Thai national and 400 baht if not.

Are you really so daft to accept a 10 fold increase? Well you already stated you use your licence, so you are not! Slightly hypocritical!

Khao Yai Park and most now won't accept the driving licence, although some of the smaller ones still do if you ask politely in Thai.

The point about the driving licence was that even a foreigner that shows a form of Thai issued ID pays the Thai price. So if this Thai had shown his Thai ID he would probably have been treated the same.

Thais rarely leave home without ID. A western looking Thai visiting a place known to charge more for foreigners is either setting himself up for a story or should accept that with no proof of his nationality and looking like he does means he might be charged the higher price. My guess is the former!

I would only pay 400 baht if I thought If I felt the place I was visiting was worth it. The fact that Thais pay less doesn't bother me.

Actually it has changed. It used to be showing your licence would get you the Thai price, from earlier this year that was changed. You actually have to be Thai, and even that does not work as we can see from this post about the Thai guy being refused.

I can't think of a park that would be worth 400 baht, most i have seen are nothing special.

I understand if it does not bother you. It is your choice.

Trying to enter Khao Yai on my motorbike with my girlfriend a few months ago i was asked for 800+bike! (i think 40 baht) I did ask why so much when the Thai man driving the BMW behind me was charge 40 baht + car.

Sometimes enough is enough.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

If only you knew what you were talking about

And sometimes locals get discounts.

What is a local?

It's somebody who lives in a particular vicinity, NOT somebody who lives in a particular vicinity and matches the personal prejudices of some goon in a ticket booth.

The "goon" is ordered to charge foreigners 200 baht.

The Thai person clearly looks like a farang so unless he could prove he was Thai the "goon" was doing his job.

If this Thai produced his ID then people have cause to complain but the report doesn't say he did.

IMO this was a set up!

What should we refer to someone that calls someone else a "goon"?

My post referred to your comment about "locals", by which you meant UK locals - your post was clear on that, since the quote is from a passage about UK.

My "What is a local?" is not about Thais, but about 'locals' anywhere in the world.

As for the 'goon' bit - I'd use that description for anyone in a position of authority, however little that authority might be, who applies personal prejudices in the course of their work wherever in the world they might be.

So you're using a derogatory term to describe someone that appears to have been doing the job he's instructed and paid to do!

He has not applied prejudice. His job is to charge foreigners 200 baht and Thais 20 baht. Regardless of what you think of the pricing system you cannot accuse this attendant of being prejudiced when charging someone that looks western and can't prove otherwise.

And for those of us working in Thailand, evidently a work permit is no good for a normal , resident price anymore. I went to Sai Yok Yai ,Kanchanaburi (or tried to) the other day and was asked to pay 300Baht! - even with a valid work permit-- hhahahhahahhaha-- needless to say I did not go. Thanks for the appreciation of all of our hard work Thailand. BOOOOOOOO!

Bet the Chinese and Indians are not asked to pay 10-fold.

Why doesn't 7eleven have a dual-pricing policy too ?

Disgraceful business model ... purely greed based. And they try hide this dual pricing too, which shows they know they are being slippery.

F@@@###ing Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

Me too, If they wont accept my Thai driving license then I tel the to **** Off.

Please everyone if you get charged more than a Thai to enter somewhere then walk away, if enough people do it then they will have no choice but to stop it.

That's not necessarily the right response either -- I'm from Delaware in the US, and in-state residents pay less than out-of-state visitors to enter state parks and other state government-run facilities, perhaps by 50 percent. The rationale is, Delaware residents pay state taxes that help upkeep the parks, whereas out-of-staters don't. That seems fair to me, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that that's at least part of the rationale at play here. However, having to pay ten times the local rate is certainly excessive, and producing a national ID card should end any argument.

Foreigners have to pay 200 baht (last I checked) to visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok and other major sites, whereas Thais get in for free -- is that fair?

• Like 2

Actually it has changed. It used to be showing your licence would get you the Thai price, from earlier this year that was changed. You actually have to be Thai, and even that does not work as we can see from this post about the Thai guy being refused.

I can't think of a park that would be worth 400 baht, most i have seen are nothing special.

I understand if it does not bother you. It is your choice.

Trying to enter Khao Yai on my motorbike with my girlfriend a few months ago i was asked for 800+bike! (i think 40 baht) I did ask why so much when the Thai man driving the BMW behind me was charge 40 baht + car.

Sometimes enough is enough.

So really the issue is that 400 baht is not good value and not that Thais only pay 40 baht.

I agree 400 baht is expensive and it would make me think twice about visiting. One of my original points is that we have a choice based on the charge being levied. What Thais have to pay is irrelevant.

They probably couldn't collect enough revenue to maintain the parks on the little 20 Baht they charge Thais and want the parks to be self sustaining so they have to get the extra from foreigners. The Thais are a lot smarter than most our western cultures who let floods of penny-less foreigners in and then give them freebees compliments of the taxpayers.

The problem with dual pricing is it is unfair and a lot of Westerners cannot keep affording to pay 10 times more then locals/

Most foreigners who come here are tourists, when considering to go on holiday if they were told Thailand is not cheap for foreigners because as a foreigner you pay much more then locals due to dual pricing how many would come? And then give them your justification that as foreigners you can afford it so take it or leave it, I am sure you would be most unpopular to say the least.

The appeal of some countries is the fact that they are cheaper to live so people can enjoy themselves and live in a style that they perhaps could not do back home, thats a great appeal and something to really look forward to once a year. In this scenario more people come, more business for locals and everybody wins. At present all I hear is complaints over the dual pricing, this cannot be good for Thailand.

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Dual pricing happens in many countries. In the UK adults pay more than OAP's and kids to enter many places. And sometimes locals get discounts.

Show me the UK Entrance sign that shows Forieners in the UK pay more than residents, which two tier charging is what this thread is about!

• Like 1

There is no prostitution in Thailand but there sure are a lot of whores. I go to a lot of National Parks to do photography. You used to be able to just show a Thai driver's license and get the same rate as Thais but they figured that out and cut it out most places. Now you have to show your ID card which all Thais have. Hard to believe this guy didn't show his or it was rejected but not a lot of bright lights here in Thailand. To screw one of your own-PRICELESS.

good on you farang lookin' Thai man and welcome to the club.

Keep gettin' the word out on social media. Together we can shut down the entire Thai tourist industry.

This guy must be popular with the Thai ladies.

Can we get this story translated to Chinese?

Do chinese also have to pay the farang-price?

I know for a fact that if you're wearing Indian national dress, and speaking Indian, the Botanical gardens in Chiang Mai only charge the Thai rate.

If you are next in line with a white skin, you pay the discrimination price.

As one has asked, what concessions do the Chinese get??

Show me the UK Entrance sign that shows Forieners in the UK pay more than residents, which two tier charging is what this thread is about!

Actually this thread is about a Thai being charged the entry price for a foreigner because he looks like a foreigner and appears not to have proven otherwise. A non story that has been sensationalised by the press.