Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

I've also visited this attraction and shown my Thai drivers license, only to be refused entrance unless I was to pay the higher amount. What happened is that I walked Away along with my Thai family ( 7 people including my two Thai children) On this occasion we knew of another group which included two Koreans, all of whom gained admission at the lower Thai rate.

Regarding your point that western tourist can afford these prices, whilst Thai cannot. You are probably unaware that Approxamately 10% of Thais are in fact much wealthier that most Farangs. I personally know of one Thai who has visited this attraction who is far richer than any Farang living her in Thailand, and yes he is charged the lower price.

OK I'll ask,

how do you know he is more wealthy than any farang in Thailand? :)

Simple! He's listed as one of the richest Thais, above any Farang who may now hold a Thai passport.

Of course this may not be correct if Bill Gates or Warren Buffet happen to be visiting Thailand.

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

I've also visited this attraction and shown my Thai drivers license, only to be refused entrance unless I was to pay the higher amount. What happened is that I walked Away along with my Thai family ( 7 people including my two Thai children) On this occasion we knew of another group which included two Koreans, all of whom gained admission at the lower Thai rate.

Regarding your point that western tourist can afford these prices, whilst Thai cannot. You are probably unaware that Approxamately 10% of Thais are in fact much wealthier that most Farangs. I personally know of one Thai who has visited this attraction who is far richer than any Farang living her in Thailand, and yes he is charged the lower price.

OK I'll ask,

how do you know he is more wealthy than any farang in Thailand? :)

Simple! He's listed as one of the richest Thais, above any Farang who may now hold a Thai passport.

Of course this may not be correct if Bill Gates or Warren Buffet happen to be visiting Thailand.

Mark Zuckerberg or mark Cuban or a lot of other people have tonnes of cash and I'm sure they've been to Thailand before although I doubt they will be arguing about the dual pricing lol

Sometimes, the pressure makes the change.

In Asiatique-Bangkok, they charged 200 THB for Thai and 250 THB for farang.

After the protests, they set up one price for adults-300 THB and 200 THB for children

• Like 1

The Thai government should either agree or disagree with this dual pricing policy.

Announce this fact to the world should they agree and let foreigners decide.

Deception by using Thai numerals would not work in this age of social media.

The Thai government has disagreed with this policy. It is a law, that foreigners who reside in thailand and have proof such as a thai drivers license or a retirement visa or work permit, pay the same amount as Thais. That letter has been sent to every national park in the country. The park wardens are pocketing the difference. They are becoming very wealthy as they only turn over the amount charged to a Thai. Do they care? Does anyone care? Very obviously not.

Not true unfortunately, I looked it up earlier this year when this discussion started in another forum, I was misled to believe the same as you but it's simply not true.

The department of Parks, wildlife and plants conservation have stated this clearly on their website, although, at the moment, the pricelist is nowhere to be seen on their website.

Probably because of this discussion.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/entrance_fee.asp?lg=2

I've got 5 year valid drivers license, work permit and ​NON-O with business extension to stay "visa" and I'm massively overcharged at most park the last year.

Walk away with disappointed family, but they accept we walk away because they understand my anger as they are equally angry with the Thai gov. policy.

Sorry to hear. As is the case with so much Thai govt. policy, it is extremely misguided and wrongheaded. I pretty much boycott the national parks, for this reason, unless the park people are reasonable.

• Like 1

The answer is IF more farang stood up, like you would in your home country, and told these crooks NO and made an issue and didn't let it go and just payed the standard amount and walked into the park they would back down.

The more pressure we put on these issues the greater chance we have of getting treated fairly... parks, immigration, restaurants...every where.
Come on people, stand up and act like you got a pair.... you come to this country and lay down like a submissive dog.

• Like 2

The answer is IF more farang stood up, like you would in your home country, and told these crooks NO and made an issue and didn't let it go and just payed the standard amount and walked into the park they would back down.

The more pressure we put on these issues the greater chance we have of getting treated fairly... parks, immigration, restaurants...every where.

Come on people, stand up and act like you got a pair.... you come to this country and lay down like a submissive dog.

This is exactly what we need to improve the image of foreigners here.

• Like 1

This is a act of discrimination which is outlawed in Democratic countries. If the Thais in America had to pay 10 times the amount to enter the American parks how would they feel? This law should be done away with out exception!

• Like 1

You logic is inconsistent. You partly implement a system where people would get a product based on how much they can pay.

This system then should not consider the nationality , but the yearly income ; many Thais are rich why dont thay pay even more then?

Its just materializes racism , and every one who accepts this sends a message "Yes, we foreigner are second class humans ".

Also we dont apply dual pricing to Thais in our country so its asymetric.

You could sell differ prices for tickets whith different quality of service, that would be ok. 100 bath : stay 30 minutes, 200 bhat stay 1 hours , ...

The rich can buy more service , that is what happens in 99% of the world

Here's a shocker for you. Thais can live in Thailand for free. Foreigners have to pay. Is that racism too or any other bigoted label that you or others want to apply.

This is Thailand and Thais can charge foreigners whatever they want. It has nothing to do with anything more than commerce. The foreigner has the choice to pay or not. It's been happening for years and yet foreigners still visit so it's clearly not a problem for most.

Did you also know that when your friend is having his body massage the Thai in the next room is paying less.

Actually Thais have to pay too.

Driving licences, Chanots, Tabien Baans, Thai ID cards, birth and death certificates, amendments to legal papers, etc. All the trappings of being Thai are paid for by the individual, they are not free. They are also the same price for foreigners (where applicable).

Thais can live in Thailand for free. Foreigners have to pay. You cannot argue against that simple fact.

And saying the same thing over and over doesn't make it true.

• Like 1

I'm finish to visit all kind of national parks, or other turist places, there take overfee.

If white people have to pay more end Thai, then it will not be from me.

I'm like to make payment but not want to pay extra just because I'm

white.

I hope all white people will consider the word i write at it's not about the money,

but it's about how to treat each other. When you work around you will see 2 - 3 years old boy or girls

stand and say farang look farang.

I'm always treat all other with respect. Why can i not have the same back?

I have stay in Thailand for nerly 16 years now and still not have any respect from Thai or cambodian thai.

My lady is Cambodian Thai and she still don't understand why Thai people have give her the right to be Thai national???

Simply it's because cheep labor work and then keep them down in farmer country as a Kock Yang and many other places...

Now, if they were putting that extra money to good use by upgrading facilities and service for all, I would understand and accept it happily - sort of an individual, on the spot, aid to developing a 3rd world country. But the money seems to be "transferred" elsewhere and not certainly into parks' or temples' maintenance. A good example is Wat Prakaew where service certainly has not improved despite a 500 baht foreigner fee.

I therefore choose to try to avoid these places as much as possible - there is plenty of gorgeous nature, beaches and temples in the "outside world".

With the exception of people on TV who park their brains at any other place but the keyboard, I like it fine here.

Do you really think the Thai officials and powerbrokers in Bangkok give a rat's arse about your opinion? We are guests here, we are not voters.

As for creating a scene at the entrances over a few measly baht - congratulations, you'll lose face massively and become known as the ugly falang without any culture whatsoever.

If you don't want to enjoy life here, please go somewhere else and take your IQ with you. We need the improvement.

• Like 2

Dual pricing is only enforced in Third World countries

Not true at all! It is done everywhere. Look at some of the other entries.

The only difference in pricing we have in the 'civilized' world is for kids and old people, which is actually very civilized. Some places also have discounts for servicemen. In Third World countries they have a system of racism that heavily overcharges tourists/foreigners for certain attractions. For example the Taj Mahal is 20 Rupees for Indians and 750 for foreigners, Thai National Parks are 40 THB for Thais and 500 for foreigners, Angkor Wat is free for Cambodians and $20 for foreigners. The list is endless and any foreigner without business interests in these attractions, who says that it's normal or even good, should have their heads examined. This kind of racism will decrease profits in the long end in any case. I stopped going to these racist places a long time ago already. Seen most of them anyway when there was still one price thumbsup.gif

Edited by DaveinAsia

With the exception of people on TV who park their brains at any other place but the keyboard, I like it fine here.

Do you really think the Thai officials and powerbrokers in Bangkok give a rat's arse about your opinion? We are guests here, we are not voters.

As for creating a scene at the entrances over a few measly baht - congratulations, you'll lose face massively and become known as the ugly falang without any culture whatsoever.

If you don't want to enjoy life here, please go somewhere else and take your IQ with you. We need the improvement.

See above comment tongue.png

Rich Thai who g to Paris can also afford a 10-folded price, let's do the same to them!

Ok as long as you're prepared to let the poor Thai visiting Paris have a discount!

Do the poor Farangs (backpackers for example) get discount here or I just missed something ? I think you are to long or to short time here... And I can beat that your favorite sentence is "If you don't like something in Thailand you can leave" or "foreigners don't understand Thailand" or something similar...

You missed something!

It was a sarcastic reply to a ridiculous comment made by Thian.

It would be OK to charge the extra if countries like Australia would do the same for the Thai Tourists who visit so many of our attractions. Thai's would be up in arms pleading discimination. We have laws for that, where as here in Thailand foreigners do not have any rights. Thais need to realise that the world will get fed up with the crap they deal out every day & we will stay away.

There have been 21 million visitors so far this year and they are heading for a record 28 million for the year. This dual pricing has been going on for years. If coup's and farmers taking central Bangkok hostage isn't having much affect then dual pricing in parks won't keep many away either.

Whether or not you agree with the policy you cannot get away from the fact that it is Thailand's right. I'm not sure how you justify the charge because another country does the same. Either it's justifiable or it's not. And I very much doubt if Australia has a law preventing it charging non-citizens more in certain circumstances.

• Like 1

The "goon" is ordered to charge foreigners 200 baht.

The Thai person clearly looks like a farang so unless he could prove he was Thai the "goon" was doing his job.

If this Thai produced his ID then people have cause to complain but the report doesn't say he did.

IMO this was a set up!

What should we refer to someone that calls someone else a "goon"?

Well, gee Mr. Traveller, you just called someone a "racist", simply for pointing out that a dual pricing policy that is clearly predicated on a person's race is racist, so what should we call you?
It is not racist for a country to charge non-citizens a different amount than it's own citizens.

In this case they were charging a citizen a different price based entirely on the fact that he looked like he was of a different race. That's racist.

Rubbish. They were charging a foreigner the going rate for foreigners. Identifying someone as a foreigner isn't racist when they have the traits of a foreigner! It is perfectly reasonable for an attendant to ask someone like Jack that doesn't look Thai for ID.

• Like 1

He is not Thai and whatever support he intended with his Facebook protest is lost as he made an arse of himself. Newsflash. 10x entry at NP's is official policy, it won't change. Neither will attitudes. A Thai baht billionaire driving a Lamborghini gets the Thai price and a Scunthorpe builder on retirement extension with meagre pension has to ante up. "Farang have money can pay". That attitude is absolutely racist.

I wish there was no dual pricing but get used to it or go home.

As for people assuming this is not happening in the " civilized world" they have not thought it out. The subject is a subset of "price discrimination" in economics of which there are countless examples. In the US many practices have been challenged in the courts without much success. Look up "ladies nights". Guam and Hawaii overcharge tourists to get into clubs and bars but there's a "local discount" for showing a local drivers license which is not hard to get if you live there even for a short time. Therefore this it is not considered racism and thus legal.

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 1

As far as I know, nobody in Thailand is a voter!

(Unless you include General Prayut, who always votes for himself)

Welcome back

Personally I wouldn't deny my family a day at the park over such a paltry sum but you're entitled to your choice. I do think Thailand should have an official rate for long term stayers.

I didn't say Thais couldn't afford it, but they are Thais regardless of their wealth and entitled to the Thai rate. I was simply saying that even the higher rate is easily afforded by foreign tourists.

They don't overcharge us on government trains and buses. In fact, farang can even take the free trains.

Anyway, I tend to stay clear from NP's. I have visited 4 or 5 sofar. I was charged farang price only once. My Thai friends paid the guide's tip. Fair & square. And I didn't have to contribute to the "American share" for the fuel. They feel annoyed by the double pricing themselves but at the same time they know it's not the end of the world (money-wise). And the greng-jai / mai bpen rai attitude implies we don't discuss it any further (no poblèm) as it's an uncomfortable issue.

Racism, that's the problem...