Thai man massively overcharged at national park because he looks like a farang

webfact

Publicity seeker! Having 5,000 "friends' tells us that!!

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

Racism, that's the problem...

Prove that charging a higher fee for non citizens of Thailand is racism.

He does look farang and if he didn't (unknown) show his ID card to prove otherwise the attendant had every right to charge him the going rate.

I've visited many parks in this country and if I show my Thai drivers licence I get in for the Thai price!

And whats the problem with dual pricing anyway. Western tourists can afford to pay more. Would the foreigner still visit if Thais were made to pay the same? It's 200 baht, take it or leave it.

If a person is disfavored because of race and or origin it is a form of racism.

IMHO it is also an important message to the Thai people.

Every 5 years old (THAI) child can read English and Thai numbers. From early age the society is taught that it is fine to charge a "non - Thai" person a higher price for the same service, product or performance etc. but it should be disguised and not openly discussed with the foreigner.

I mean at least they should publish both prices in Thai and English, then every visitor can make its own decision and has no reason to feel deceived.

Also the message to the Thais would be: It is alright to charge the "non- Thai" a higher price, but you must tell them about before the transactions. That would be fair.

Racism is very alive in Thailand and most of us will be dead before that changes, if it ever happens...

• Like 2

Whether it's right or wrong that Thailand has a dual charging policy the claim being repeated is that they are racist for doing so. My question is specific to that claim. Your answer doesn't come close.

The policy is to charge non-citizens of Thailand higher entry fee. The foreigner being charged isn't being charged based on race or origin but citizenship. Or more specifically their lack of Thai citizenship.

Wow I cannot believe the moaning and gripping of people on this forum there is no duel pricing the price is set and Thai people get a discount because its there bloody country, considering the average Thai wage is about 5000 bht a month how can you expect them to pay full price 200bht is just £4

the average thai wage is 13500thb pr month...it's 2015 now man, it not 1997.

Could you reveal your sources for this 13500 baht monthly wage average.

I would be interested to know.

Cheers.

the average monthly income maybe is 13500 baht now , but that includes many superrich billionaires, so the vast majority of thais still earns less than 10 thousand per month, for the whole family.

as i said dual pricing exists everywhere, even in europe.

http://spectator.sme.sk/c/20052242/index.php/c/20017500/illegal-practice-of-dual-pricing-still-rife.html

http://bank-of-cardiff-reviews.com/venice-tourist-ripoff-investigated-by-eu/

Children and senior citizens often get a reduced rate in the UK because they are fortunately subsidised by tax payers like me. There are no higher rates for non Brits and no-one is penalised because of race, colour or creed! There are very strict laws governing discrimination, which Thailand would do well to follow!

I agree. However Thailand is and probably always be a backward country. It's views/actions reveal this. It would be appreciative if all Western governments would send an official note to "little" Thailand stating objections.

Humorous how the country wants more and more tourists but discriminates against them. Is this a Thai way of treating "guests"?

Wow I cannot believe the moaning and gripping of people on this forum there is no duel pricing the price is set and Thai people get a discount because its there bloody country, considering the average Thai wage is about 5000 bht a month how can you expect them to pay full price 200bht is just £4

Cheers.

the average monthly income maybe is 13500 baht now , but that includes many superrich billionaires, so the vast majority of thais still earns less than 10 thousand per month, for the whole family.

http://spectator.sme.sk/c/20052242/index.php/c/20017500/illegal-practice-of-dual-pricing-still-rife.html

There is a lot of truth in what you wrote, however do you really think that the super rich billionaires declare their full income. I believe Warren Buffet mentioned the other year that his own secretary paid more in income tax than he did,same applies in Thailand.

The date at the end of the "Slovak Spectator" article is November, 2002, before EU membership. The practice was, even then, illegal in Slovakia & under investigation. Maybe resolved & outlawed totally by now - can't find any other reference to it.

The second link is about the occurrence of double pricing in Venice. This is under EU investigation.

This article explains the case a bit more clearly http://www.thelocal.it/20150511/belgian-raises-alarm-over-venice-price-gap .

It mentions that a discount card is available for residents and those who live in the region. It DOESN'T say those residents have to be Italian so is available to a Thai (or any other foreigner) resident of Venice - exactly the same as applies to any 'western' local resident rate I read about on here or know from experience, the existence of which Thai-apologist posters like to use to justify Thai dual pricing. There's even a discount card for tourists, albeit more expensive than the residents' card.

A spokesman for a Venice conservation group says that they see the differential pricing as a way of controlling/reducing tourism (and maybe slowing the rate at which Venice is disappearing into the lagoon, which would be a tragedy). Note the official tourist numbers for Venice (area 415 sq. km.); around 25 million, about the same as for the whole of Thailand (area 513,120 sq. km.) in 2014. No wonder the city is disappearing and in desperate need of funds for maintenance.

Thailand wants more tourists yet is actively & with Government approval pursuing a pricing policy that others use to DIScourage tourism. Unlike in Venice, 'local' in Thailand means 'of a particular nationality' not 'living in a particular location'.

Slovakia & EU investigate dual pricing with a view to eliminating it. Thailand encourages it in all walks of life.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

Whether it's right or wrong that Thailand has a dual charging policy the claim being repeated is that they are racist for doing so. My question is specific to that claim. Your answer doesn't come close.

The policy is to charge non-citizens of Thailand higher entry fee. The foreigner being charged isn't being charged based on race or origin but citizenship. Or more specifically their lack of Thai citizenship.

So all we have to do is to replace the word "racist" by "extreme nationalist & xenophobic " and you will agree with the criticism?

F@@@###ing Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

Me too, If they wont accept my Thai driving license then I tel the to **** Off.

Please everyone if you get charged more than a Thai to enter somewhere then walk away, if enough people do it then they will have no choice but to stop it.

Wow telling to people to f off because you cant get your own way as a "whitey" another class tourist

Recently I visited some National and State parks in the US. None of them charged extra for foreigners, and most of the people on hiking trails were speaking non-English languages and having fun times. As for basing charges on a person's physical characteristics. If you tried doing that in a civilized western country, there would be an uproar and possible lawsuits. Hello Thailand; get with the times. This is no longer the 17th century. What do we need to do to haul Thailand into the 21st century .....sail a gunboat up the Chao Praya River, like Admiral Perry did to bring the Japanese out of its myopic xenophobic cloud?

TAT's sage leader wants to improve Thailand's image in order to bring more tourist dollars? Wake up lady, and get your head out of the sand. Talk to some farang to find what farang like.

• Like 1

No its not racism...citizenship and racism not the same thing...

If a Thai citizen who produces a Thai id card who also just happens to a westerner is let in for Thai price then how can it be racism ?

Let some one who is a foreigner who also happens to a Thai PR or citizen be charged the farang price because they dont look like a "native" then this would be racism...

• Like 1

If a Thai citizen who produces a Thai id card who also just happens to a westerner is let in for Thai price then how can it be racism ?

Let some one who is a foreigner who also happens to a Thai PR or citizen be charged the farang price because they dont look like a "native" then this would be racism...

This is racism. Period.

• Like 1

This is racism. Period.

Rubbish...

In theory your answer is correct. The practice is another. At the entrance only a "non Thai" looking person would be asked to pay the higher price. If you a Laotian, Singapore, Chinese or whatever similar looking race enter then venue, they usually have no problem to pay the Thai price. Do you have any idea how many "Thai people" in Thailand doesn't have a Thai ID card, and they usually belong to the poorest group...

Only people which appearance let to assume that it is not a Thai citizenship holder are asked to pay full or provide proof of citizenship in form of ID or Passport.

And I repeat it again, I'm fine I tolerate the double prices.

I live in Thailand and I also tolerate that I have a slightly higher income then the average Thai. But why they have to disguise it? Publish it openly.

If there is a special rate for Senior or children its not a hidden secret.

This would be fair:

23328026zn.png

• Like 1

This is racism. Period.

Rubbish...

Regarding the driver license... In this case the person had a Thai driving license. There are now more and more reports that the DL and or WP is not accepted anymore.

F@@@###ing Racism here. I am absolutely sick of it. Applies in every corner of this land. I refuse to pay the additional and if they insist I walk away.

Please everyone if you get charged more than a Thai to enter somewhere then walk away, if enough people do it then they will have no choice but to stop it.

Wow telling to people to f off because you cant get your own way as a "whitey" another class tourist

Really,,, you just pulled out the "whitey" card,,, this bloke could be black as the ace of spades for all you know mate or red, brown or olive. not smart...

I don't abuse them but I do let them know that I think it is wrong with a simple shake of the head and direct eye balling them, not their fault, they are just doing as they are told,

Really,,, you just pulled out the "whitey" card,,, this bloke could be black as the ace of spades for all you know mate or red, brown or olive. not smart...

I don't abuse them but I do let them know that I think it is wrong with a simple shake of the head and direct eye balling them, not their fault, they are just doing as they are told,

He could be of course...but my guess he is a middle aged whitey from the UK who thinks the natives should kow tow down to him cos he is a farang full of self entitlement ;) Edited by Soutpeel

Don't feel bad about it Soutpeel.

Many people are like you.

When they hear the words doctor, pilot, researcher, engineer, etc, they also think of a middle aged whitey man, not a possibly coloured woman.

However, to automatically assume that the person is from the UK, well....

Don't feel bad about it Soutpeel.

Many people are like you.

When they hear the words doctor, pilot, researcher, engineer, etc, they also think of a middle aged whitey man, not a possibly coloured woman.

However, to automatically assume that the person is from the UK, well....

Well i stand to be corrected then by the poster who tells people to FO who are trying to do their job, usually people who are doctors, pilots etc have a bit more class...

So prove me wrong then that the poster isnt a middle aged whitey from the UK with an attitude problem and full of self entitlement...of course he may not be from the UK could be an Aussie or a kiwi aa well...but my money is on the UK given his avatar relates to cricket, in another thread he talks about taking his kids to school in the UK over 20 odd years ago...;)

Edited by Soutpeel

Cheers.

bapoboy is quoting the average employed persons salary. The majority of Thais don't show up in these figures and the average earnings of a Thai is a lot less than 13,500 per month.

The OP's problem was that, pure and simple racism, that's how this thread started. Why does some people try to change the facts?

Interesting that the article makes no mention of racist claims by either the writer or Thai man.

Dear sweet someone, you didn't get the article, did you?

Please read again and maybe the coin will drop?

The underlying REASON for him to be 10 fold charged was that HE LOOKS like farrang, am Thai but that didn't matter, I might be wrong but if he had his ID card, he most certainly showed it to the 'gate keeper' and again, most probably the 'gate keeper' didn't believe him because he looks like a farrang so he can't be Thai and when he saw the white dude, he already had counted in that kickback of having a farrang visiting, nice value added corrupt money to put in his pocket.

Racism was inferred not explicit. There is a difference.

Duel pricing is discriminatory and seen to be a positive discrimination in Thai national parks. Positive discriminatory polices are common in every country. Whether this one is racial is the argument brought to this thread by the weight on Thaivisa posters such as yourself.

Personally I don't believe most thaivisa posters have enough to do nor the IQ capacity to fulfill the idea of something to do when they do hit on an idea.

Wow, one of the few people in the world that doesn't find discriminatory as a negative loaded word when referering to humans.

Positive discrimination, plus minus equal positive, don't think so, my own sarcasm, and also reference to intelligence.

An idea like this should have a positive impact on the country to benefit from it, does it really have that effect you think, referring to this thread and peoples reactions?

I have never been to a country where there are so few visitors in "public" parks like here in Thailand and I have been to +80 countries during my lifetime so far.

Not​ always have I been to visit public parks in every country and some doesn't even had any designated public park, but as I'm a sucker for visual experience, so I try to go around as much as possible when visiting a country and I have NEVER been positively discriminated in any other country for visiting a public park or any other public area, like viewpoints and such.

The locals living in the area might at some places had a local rate but not the WHOLE country, not based on a national identity.

If the price is packaged in for the whole tour, most tourists don't react, but I can promise you on this, if they would find out they were 10 fold charged compared to Thais, they would have felt cheated, even if it's just 200-400 THB we're talking about.

This is blatant racism what they are doing from a national level, you can't interpret this as anything else how much you try and referring to lack of intelligence for TV posters when you have showed so little yourself it's just plain stupid. Yes, I have read all your posts in this matter.

Edited by KamalaRider
  • Like 2

If you're judging a person on the color of their skin or the shape of their nose or whether they have hairy arms and freckles, ......IT'S RACISM ! It's doubly racism if you charge that person more for the same product / service. I have a tourist venue in northern Thailand. I purposefully DO NOT charge different prices depending on a person's physical appearance. I don't charge different prices for any reasons, even if a party pulls up in a yellow Bentley.

If you're judging a person on the color of their skin or the shape of their nose or whether they have hairy arms and freckles, ......IT'S RACISM ! It's doubly racism if you charge that person more for the same product / service. I have a tourist venue in northern Thailand. I purposefully DO NOT charge different prices depending on a person's physical appearance. I don't charge different prices for any reasons, even if a party pulls up in a yellow Bentley.

So the TV members who judge someone as being "bad" on the basis of having a bald head and tatoo's are racists then ?....the TV members judging and slagging Thai's off at every juncture are racists then ?

So the vast majority of posters are being just a racist as the the Thais they are accusing of being racist...

Priceless or should i say hypercrites

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Soutpeel, there's a difference between observing someone who has different physical characteristics, and then going on to charge a higher price because of those characteristics. It's ok to be observant. It's no ok to charge higher prices because a person has dark skin or lighter than average skin, or kinky hair or freckles or whatever Thai people don't have.

10x pricing can be argued as justified for non-residents in an economically rational way that I could compare with other countries similiar policies but I won't bother. For people with work permits at least paying income tax, I'm sorry but I cannot buy it.

What IS racist is the underlying ideas that spawn these policies.

Firstly, the stereotype that all Farang, as opposed to all other peoples of the world are "rich", and that they can afford to pay or should pay more. Consider my previous example of the Scunthorpe builder with a Thai owning multiple Hotels and a fleet of supercars.

Secondly to to be tolerated to exist in Thailand (as residents or tourists) it is only justified because said Farang are expected to pay more. For example at restaurants where Thais don't leave tips but Farang are expected to leave a large tip or else they are considered to be Kee Nok, i.e., scum.

Thirdly, that it is the innate National reponsibility of Thais to conspire with other Thais to ensure Foreigners pay various premiums in a system of structurally racist price discrimination and rent extractive tariffs that are economically irrational.

Edited by arunsakda

Soutpeel, there's a difference between observing someone who has different physical characteristics, and then going on to charge a higher price because of those characteristics. It's ok to be observant. It's no ok to charge higher prices because a person has dark skin or lighter than average skin, or kinky hair or freckles or whatever Thai people don't have.

Im sorry but you're talking nonsense. No one could mistake me for a thai and a park attendant or anyone else would be perfectly justified in assuming that because of my appearance I was not Thai. They would also be perfectly justified asking me to pay the no Thai fee based on my appearance. If I then produced a Thai ID card to prove I was a Thai and he continued to insist I was charged the non Thai rate then that would be racism.

Thailand charges the higher rate to non citizens of Thailand regardless of the race, skin colour etc. It's a nationality issue not race.

• Like 1