What's with the Aviator Wings on the Thai Police Uniforms?

TuskegeeBen

Still trying to work out the relevance of the OP showing money to the cop (???)

Its the Pre Para wings with the uniform most of them wares.

And yes still wondering the the hell on earth the OP will show him the money??? What was he trying to prove? That he is not a bum?

Thanks for the post. The whole para wings and they are para wings and not aviator wings as they have a parachute on them, sounds to be a total scam. The Paras are second only to the Royal Marines in terms of the difficulty of the training and World renown. It's a shame when every chancer you bump into in the high street or ride past on the road has them. I'm no advocate of the forces, and feel sorry that people have to resort to joining up in today's context of the endless illegal wars, the danger taken on by young men to serve nothing that will benefit them and the terribly poor after care and remuneration generally, but you have to be fair about all things and attaining UK Paratroop wings is a real measure of a man, and to have other countries giving them out to everyone who's dropped out on a static line from a mile up, when they have to drop really close to the ground with virtually no margin of error, is really demeaning this incredible achievement. This jumping out of a tower is just adding insult to injury and any of the associated jungle gym stuff. Let's not forget that paras don't just have to do jumps but do all sorts of other difficult stuff. They're generally enraged that the US paratroops are allowed to have them as they jump from about three times the height and they call that some kind of feat, whilst there's no comparison.

I had been wondering about this, and I inherently knew the answer already.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post. The whole para wings and they are para wings and not aviator wings as they have a parachute on them, sounds to be a total scam. The Paras are second only to the Royal Marines in terms of the difficulty of the training and World renown. It's a shame when every chancer you bump into in the high street or ride past on the road has them. I'm no advocate of the forces, and feel sorry that people have to resort to joining up in today's context of the endless illegal wars, the danger taken on by young men to serve nothing that will benefit them and the terribly poor after care and remuneration generally, but you have to be fair about all things and attaining UK Paratroop wings is a real measure of a man, and to have other countries giving them out to everyone who's dropped out on a static line from a mile up, when they have to drop really close to the ground with virtually no margin of error, is really demeaning this incredible achievement. This jumping out of a tower is just adding insult to injury and any of the associated jungle gym stuff. Let's not forget that paras don't just have to do jumps but do all sorts of other difficult stuff. They're generally enraged that the US paratroops are allowed to have them as they jump from about three times the height and they call that some kind of feat, whilst there's no comparison.

When I was jumping in the US Army, standard static line jumps were from 1200 feet from a fixed wing, 1500 feet from a helicopter (due to rotor downdraft). Combat jumps were done at 600 feet to minimize defenceless time in the air. HALO jumps can be from whatever altitude, the higher the better so that the aircraft is not heard from the ground.

I seriously doubt that British paras are jumping from 400 feet when conducting training jumps.

• Like 1

When I was jumping in the US Army, standard static line jumps were from 1200 feet from a fixed wing, 1500 feet from a helicopter (due to rotor downdraft). Combat jumps were done at 600 feet to minimize defenceless time in the air. HALO jumps can be from whatever altitude, the higher the better so that the aircraft is not heard from the ground.

I seriously doubt that British paras are jumping from 400 feet when conducting training jumps.

I would like to be wrong, but they do make them jump out at less than this and they make them do it all the time they want to retain their wings, so if they go into another regiment, they still have to get the low jumps in. It's incredibly dangerous and they always hurt themselves, but they get a very small amount of extra money a day, aren't Royal Marines, yet don't have to do marching. It's just bloodymindedness as they never deploy via parachute in action anyway.

I just searched in on Google and this came up. I know the guy who put this video up by pure chance, and he's a US airborne infantryman---I forget which regiment. He's Mike Sparks. He'd know much better than me, and has an incredibly popular website and some similar YouTube channels.

The other interesting statistic that I have found with British paras is that more of them die on nights out than in combat. They do a lot of drinking and have accidents and get murdered and stuff.

Why British Paras are BEST: Look how LOW they Jump!

http://www.combatreform.com

Ask Mike. He'll know. I just know they think American paratroopers are just pretenders as with their Marines versus ours, the Navy Seals taking seven hours to do the Foreign Legion assualt course, etc.. Of course the real joke is going into the forces and going into an elite regiment when you don't get much more money, don't get a trade often, and don't have much prospect of a job when you get out that will pay well. Most of the people I know who went into commando regiments came out broken and with a series of problems---predominantly, they had no use in civilian life and remarkably some of them can't even get on doing crime as they're used to having a big group of them and on their own, they're not even hard. Fighting inability was not something I'd expect from commandos, but I have to say I've noticed it more than once now, and it's incredibly embarrassing for all concerned.

The "Wings" are 'Pre Para' wings.

The Thai equivalent of completing "P" company in UK Army.

No jumping from an Aircraft, a US Style 'Tower' drop being carried out.

At least one CM restaurant owner has done the course, ask him over a Sausage.

john

I will apologize in advance to all UK Para's for comparing the Thai course to 'P' Company.

When I did the UK army jump course in the mid-50s we had to complete 8 jumps from an aircraft to qualify. The practice jumps from static towers were training and did not count.

But you are talking about a proper army. Different in Thailand. My dad did his two years without a single medal, (managed to miss Korea and Malaya). Still some countries where a decoration has to be earned with no ribbons for shiniest boots, cleanest rifle or completing a course. My two police medals are the long service/good conduct, (do 22.5 years without being kicked out), and the Queen's Jubilee medal, (just being a copper with over 5 years service). Mean eff all. The Chief Scout badge at 16 was worth more than all the crap.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/7/2015 at 10:49 AM, Seligne2 said:

True story...WW 2. Gurkha Regimental Officer  taken on a high altitude flyover of a night drop zone. "We  will come in at 500 feet to drop you and  your boys from  there to there". Oh ? Can we  please be dropped  from much lower? No, no. There will be insufficient time  for your parachutes to open !  OH ! We will have parachutes?  OK !