international drivers licence

bandos2000

Hi All, not sure if this has been covered, but can i get an international drivers licence in PP ? i dont have a local licence, and my licence from my home country has been expired for some years already, and as i dont own anything in my home country, ( need something with my name on it ) they wont renew it there. thanks for any advice.

Technically it's called an international driving permit - not a license. An IDP is basically just a translation of your existing drivers license, so in order to get an IDP you first need to have a valid drivers license.

Sophon

• 4 weeks later...

note its rather expensive

last i heard it runs about $35 for 1 year

now compare that to Thailand where u get 5 years for around $15 ( or in my case i got 1 day short of 6 years)

even the states is $35 for 5 years

All part of a greater scheme to try and get a cambo insurance company to insure my Thai car in December.

So may be worth it, though much more likely to be a stonking waste of money.

good luck;

i have heard of ONLY 1 person that bothered dong it right an it took him 3 months to get all the right permissions/documents

and he did get insurance finally

repairs are half the price of Thailand :-)

I am a sucker for punishment....

Let me know where I can read about that one person.....:)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, just a follow up, i went to lucky moto and they can help, even though my home country license has been expired for a long time, over 5 years. well when i say help , it can be done , but at a cost of course, if home license was still valid, then 55 USD, for expired license add another 100 USD, and im good to go . i dont need an international permit for driving in my home state in OZ, as long as the license i have has english writing, so all good .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived