Irishman warns about proper health insurance after his ordeal in Thailand

webfact

His mum Collette said, “It was such a shock for us and we were desperate to get him home. We tried everything including the British Embassy but all they could do was provide a translator.

Waste of space the British Embassy .. Shame on them ..

Shame on you, what would you expect the embassy to do, pay his hospital bills and then repatriate him in a private air ambulance?

Some people actually have this in their heads that an embassy is legally obligated to get their citizens out of trouble when in a foreign country....

so yes some people belive the embassy should pay their hospital bill and arrange for them to be taken home

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper insurance ,,,Like Him? Why were the medical bills not past on to the truck driver or his boss if it was the truck drivers fault? if the truck is not insured then the truck driver or and his boss have to pay simple as that. In this case he never should pay the medical bills,,,,,what is this world coming to? Like no insurance don't pay?? My <deleted> ass not pay,,,make the guilty one pay.

Pay WHEN?

Insurance is good advice, but if you're over 62, good luck, it's outrageous, so you pay or run the risk. Most of us, run the risk.

Agree most or all will run the risk,but that risk can be mitigated to a large degree. Myself hit by vehicle ,got costings here in Thailand,flew to India via wheelchair ,fixed up at a small fraction of costs here. Never but never get anything fixed up in Thailand medically ,just jet ski thugs in white coats

Going to India would not be something most people would care to do.

Insurance is good advice, but if you're over 62, good luck, it's outrageous, so you pay or run the risk. Most of us, run the risk.

Agree most or all will run the risk,but that risk can be mitigated to a large degree. Myself hit by vehicle ,got costings here in Thailand,flew to India via wheelchair ,fixed up at a small fraction of costs here. Never but never get anything fixed up in Thailand medically ,just jet ski thugs in white coats

Going to India would not be something most people would care to do.
Why not India?

I was in hospital in New Delhi in 1969, and I was cured from some contagious tropical diseases there. German government paid the bill via the Indian NHS, everything arranged by a U.S. diplomat.

And I could remain in India and travel on.

Edited by micmichd

All I can say is that luckly he had a good person girlfriend which did not let the crappy hospital amputate his leg. There are still good people who just does not want to take advantage of your money...

What about motorbike taxis?

Do they have a mandatory insurance for their passengers?

55555, I just had a sip of coffee when I read this one....cleaning up the desk now

Stop laughing, a few months ago the government started regulating and registering motorbike taxis. The old paid-for jackets were outlawed and those that registered now have government issued jackets with the driver's identification details in a clear plastic pocket on the back right in the eye line of the passenger. Those riders have mandatory insurance.

Important fact!!

9 out of 10 insurance companies, will not cover you if your driving a scooter/motorbike.

True enough, but the BBK bank has a policy for its customers, and covers motor bike accidents. cost is about 5000baht per year.

Yup, and I believe the maximum payout is 200,000 B. In case of serious injury, you'll need to pay a whole lot more out-of-pocket. But yes, it's better than having no insurance at all.

I have an accident insurance with ACE which include motorbike accident. The yearly premium is around 5000 baht I am 69. It coveres medical expenses of 100,000 baht pr. accident and have cover for life and handicap? at 500,00 baht.

I have had the insurance for 9 years and the premium goes up a little every year.

I also have 1. class motorbike insurance, which cover 50,000 baht each for medical expenses for driver and passenger.

At the beginning I lived in Thailand I had a health insurance , too, but it became too expensive, so now I am self insured re sickness

So what would that make doctors/medical professionals in the US, UK, Australia, and a host of other countries??? Thailand's heaylth services are only a fraction of many other countries, but generally of a high standard.

I'm yet to find any travel/accident insurance that will cover injuries as a result of motorcycle (of any size) accidents.

One thing escapes you,this is a third world country with exceptionally high medical billing,two hours away is a developing country with a more than excellent health care system that puts Thailand's to shame,and yes at least one tenth of the cost too

I have an accident insurance with ACE which include motorbike accident. The yearly premium is around 5000 baht I am 69. It coveres medical expenses of 100,000 baht pr. accident and have cover for life and handicap? at 500,00 baht.

I have had the insurance for 9 years and the premium goes up a little every year.

I also have 1. class motorbike insurance, which cover 50,000 baht each for medical expenses for driver and passenger.

At the beginning I lived in Thailand I had a health insurance , too, but it became too expensive, so now I am self insured re sickness

Go to most banks they sell accident cover 2000 baht buys 100,000 over 60 ish 35000 buys 50,000 baht accident cover

• I took out travel insurance with covermore, and when i did need to claim i realized it didnt cover anything you really need to read the fine print, never use covermore

There aren't many that will cover things you might actually need.

Actually there is health insurance that will cover your bills. You can pay more for top international insurance or you can buy Thai medical insurance which I have heard is more than adequate

What about motorbike taxis?

Do they have a mandatory insurance for their passengers?

55555, I just had a sip of coffee when I read this one....cleaning up the desk now

Stop laughing, a few months ago the government started regulating and registering motorbike taxis. The old paid-for jackets were outlawed and those that registered now have government issued jackets with the driver's identification details in a clear plastic pocket on the back right in the eye line of the passenger. Those riders have mandatory insurance.

Wow! Are you winding me up? It seems too unreal. If so I stand corrected and my sincere apologies to micmichd for laughing at him/her.

I'm flabbergasted but at the same time I'm thinking that there will be a way around it. Only if the passenger also has insurance or or or.

TiT, excuse my cynicism but I've been here too long and I've heard it all before. The only improvement I've seen here the last 18 years is the internet speed wink.png

There are many insurance companies especially in uk who wont insure you now because of these kind of accidents so make sure you check you policy

3 golden rules for Thailand............Just keep off motor bikes in Thailand...........Don't hire a jet ski.................and don't buy a bar girl a drink you will get hit hard if your going to buy them one make sure you tell them same price as yours!!

• I took out travel insurance with covermore, and when i did need to claim i realized it didnt cover anything you really need to read the fine print, never use covermore

They are all the same.

You may have noticed a thread on here a while back that mentioned a guy who thought he was covered for motorbike accidents, but on closer inspection the proviso was that the bike be no bigger than 50cc.

do they even make them that small?

Bunch of scammers!

I self insure, but have a savings account that would cover emergencies like this. Also, because I self insure, I don't ride scooters. Just not worth the risk.

Spot on. And i might add, the best insurance in Thailand is to ENsure you are always a passenger.

There are many insurance companies especially in uk who wont insure you now because of these kind of accidents so make sure you check you policy

3 golden rules for Thailand............Just keep off motor bikes in Thailand...........Don't hire a jet ski.................and don't buy a bar girl a drink you will get hit hard if your going to buy them one make sure you tell them same price as yours!!

That only applies to newbies,us oldies know how to get around that.

I'm a long way from 62 but I would never risk riding a motorbike or even scooter in Thailand.

I don't even risk using motorbike taxis.

I'd rather walk or take a real taxi than risk being in an accident on a bike.

The title mentions that the injured guy warns about proper insurance?

His insurance had run out, so no insurance can certainly be called "not proper insurance" cheesy.gif

Heartless prick!!!

I would say neither,heartless or a prick.No free lunches in this world.The injured Darren doesn't seem to be complaining.

There aren't many that will cover things you might actually need.

Oh, there are. Problem is, they do expect to charge a realistic premium which, to many applicants, means overpriced.

I self insure, but have a savings account that would cover emergencies like this. Also, because I self insure, I don't ride scooters. Just not worth the risk.

Spot on. And i might add, the best insurance in Thailand is to ENsure you are always a passenger.

That's a joke ... right?

Go to most banks they sell accident cover 2000 baht buys 100,000 over 60 ish 35000 buys 50,000 baht accident cover

50,000 baht cover. Does that even cover the first day in a decent hospital?

Not sure about this mate,but heard you can not get paid out fully on 2 insurances.I haven't checked this out yet,somebody on here will know.

But for the money, my insurance is better

Not sure about this mate,but heard you can not get paid out fully on 2 insurances.I haven't checked this out yet,somebody on here will know.

I am not sure either, but my insurance broker say i can, so until..... I believe I can

I have taken out accident insurance with KasiKorn Bank, but the THB 2 million for death or dismemberment is reduced to THB 300,000 if it's a motorcycle accident (small print).

In April, I ended up in Pattaya Memorial hospital needing 6 units o blood for a Helicobacter Pylori infection. Unknown to me, my brother had taken out additional insurance as he thought I might have a bike accident, but it also covered hospital admission and saved me THB 152,000 medical bill!

Don't get caught short in Thailand! Insure yourself properly!

Important fact!!

9 out of 10 insurance companies, will not cover you if your driving a scooter/motorbike.

Correct and the BKK bank's accident insurance available for any age, including over 70's is pretty comprehensive ACCEPT it specifically excludes accidents whilst on a motorbike, but covers you if you get knocked down by one!

Hmmm, I'm with Kasikorn and I used their insurance but as soon as I turned 70, the insurance was no longer available to me.

I might have to think about a change in banks then! Any other banks have even better deals?

I also have to self insure and keep the retirement extension money in a long tern account.

Another thing to note is that insurance tends to be against specific risks.

House insurance may cover for the loss of personal items like specs, camera etc but NOT if they are in a vehicle!

Accident insurance insurance might not cover you if you are in or on a vehicle at the time of the accident etc.

I well remember being in a m/c accident in the UK in the 80's and needed an x-ray. The bill for the x-ray was sent to me and I passed it on to the vehicle insurers who then paid it.

To the poster that suggested that the OP is not in the best position to give insurance advice:-

'strewth, give the poor bugga a brake!

The OP has realised his mistake and wishes to warn anyone else who is foolish enough not to to give proper consideration to personal insurance.

I guess, as has already been stated, many people from nanny states take this sort of thing for granted and fail to give any proper thought to it!

Well, at least here is a wake up call!

Thanks OP, get well soon.

I find it amazing that we give away 12 billion on foreign aid and a British citizen who maybe in a vulnerable situation lucky to get any sort of compassion apart from a bloody translator .. What a nice fair society we live in at this day and age .. But anyway that's the conservative party for you ..

Edited by Nicolas32

I am not sure either, but my insurance broker say i can, so until..... I believe I can

I believe that when there is more than one insurance company involved, they will split the bill between them in a proportion related to the value that each insurance co is responsible for.

You cannot make a profit!