Lawn mower problems

Thaijack2014

Hi, I bought my first gasoline lawnmower two weeks ago in Home Pro Hua Hin. It is an Asgatec GM5500. The problem occured at home, trying to run the machine. After pulling the rope at least ten times, it just wouldn't start.

Then I pumped some fuel by pushing the yellow rubber ball in front of it and I managed to get it running. Now, once it's running it is fine. But if I have to turn of the engine, the same problems starts all over again.

My neighbour has a lawnmower and it has a start and run lever on it. ONE pull at his rope and the machine kicked in!

I checked my lawnmower and indeed, I have near the engine on the left side a lever which does the same, but I can't open the valve and turning the machine on at the same time.

I checked the instructions and it is not mentioned, nor there is a picture of a handle to change the position of the lever.

Does anybody have the same machine and how did you find a solution? Did you have the same problem as I have?

I would appreciate some suggestions....

post-207713-0-80429300-1444178561_thumb.

You did put oil in the engine didn't you?

We have a similar machine (a GM6500), push the lever to 'start', pull the grab bar fully towards you, pull the rope.

Ours starts on the second or 3rd pull after being stood for a couple of weeks, no need to prime the carb or anything like that.

As above, if you still don't score, take it back, HomePro are pretty good at sorting / replacing.

Same problem with my Asgate machine when it was new. It absolutely would not start

The throttle control cable needed the slack taken out of it with the cable adjuster which is about half way along the cable, after that it is fine and starts first time every time.

Remember to put the control lever into the Start position if the engine is cold, should not need the start position if it is hot, and remember to check the oil level they are delivered dry.

Only other problem the lock nuts holding the wheels are not so clever and might need locktight on them as mine did.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but surely that lever in the picture is the governor control. Don't touch it, it works automatically to control the engine revs. The yellow bulb must be pushed several times to prime the carburetor, if necessary push it every time before starting and certainly every time the engine has been standing for some time. Sounds like nothing is wrong with the engine, just your incorrect starting procedure.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem.... I have just bought an Asgatec 5500 and the darned thing will not start.  I did not get an manual with the machine so can anyone tell me which is the best Benzine to use.

52 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The one without alcohol

Is that even sold these days?  I haven't seen in 4-5 years.  Whatever... just about any brand of petrol engine should be able to run on "91".

But yeah, I don't know what it is about gas mowers here but they just don't start/run like the Sears (back in the 70/80's Sears would advertise "starts first time every time" and then have a guy do it).  I bought a gas mower 16 years ago (not easy to find then) and broke the rope about 20 times trying to get that <deleted> started.  I've been happy with electric ever since.

Edited by bankruatsteve

1. If it has a priming bulb pump it a few times.
  2. Start/Run lever to Start.
  3. Pull the safety bar right to the mower handle.
  4. Pull the rope, hard!

Repeat two or three times, if it won't start take it back to where you got it from and get them to show you.

Ours (a 5 year old GM6500) still starts second or 3rd pull every time from being stood for a couple of weeks.

Take care with advice > gasohol can damage machine.

You can buy regular gasoline at many station in thailand.

Many old machine and many china made machine have problem with gasohol over time.

Gasohol can make damage to rubber seal plus special rubber valve parts in carbureter

The 4 stroking grass cut machine should be easy for start but beware cheap china machine the engine valve and other parts can stick and make the start hard work if machine  not in use for long time or in shop for long time.

If machine is use for many year then best buy with quality engine like brigg or honda

• Like 1

Pull the starter rope slowly until you get resistance, that will put the piston at top dead centre.

Open the throttle to full.

Press the primer ball three times.

Wait fifteen seconds and pull.

2 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Gasohol can make damage to rubber seal plus special rubber valve parts in carbureter

Our GM6500 has had  PTT 91 (E10) from new, no issues after 5 years so i'm assuming it's E10 compatible.

Same with our KwaiThong genset which is even older (2012).

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our GM6500 has had  PTT 91 (E10) from new, no issues after 5 years so i'm assuming it's E10 compatible.

Many old machine have no problem with this alcohol in fuel but make aware that some o/ring can get hard over long time but not give machine any problem. Problem only found when carbretter opened for cleaning or repair.

Also check fuel line are not hard and easy to crack open from vibrating machine. Many old fuel line hate the gasohol

Most big problem happen with carbretter that use rubber reed type valve for control of fuel mixing

Just make sure your fuel line are good for safety

As I understand it, historically, seal & hose damage to to alcohol was a big problem, but the issue has generally been resolved in anything of decent quality less than 20 years old.

The is still a corrosion issue with engines not run regularly, as the alcohol can absorb water.

In any event, it is well accepted that straight benzine provides better performance.
  • Like 1

With all the crap on Trump (or is that "trump") flooding TV, I'm so happy to see the trivia of a lawn mower not starting, the minutiae of everyday life.

HOW REFRESHING!!!   I love it.

Edited by F4UCorsair

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

In any event, it is well accepted that straight benzine provides better performance.

Agreed, but probably not an issue with a mower unless you're racing it.

A brand new mower not starting on E10? It's cream-crackered or the operator is not doing it right.

Likely operator error...

Were it me, I would google the model number and get the operator’s manual.

My pressure-washer has a 12hp Honda engine that has a precise starting sequence. If the sequence is followed, it will start first pull after sitting for a month. Any other start configuration and you can pull it 20 times for nothing.

Fortunately the instructions are on a sticker on the side of the engine...
  • Like 1

Regarding "gasohol"... I defy anybody to post a photo of some place selling without.  ALL gas stations, locals, only sell the gasohol now.  Well, my wife just said "can".  But I don't think so.

Why not just google Ptt fuel price?

If they sell it, it will have a price listed.