Shanghai Royal Thai Consulate

Dear TV guru's,

I am travelling to Shanghai for a leisurely trip, and my plan whilst in Shanghai was to obtain a non b 90 day visa.

I have a friend who is a Shanghai resident (Chinese citizen) who i got to call the local consulate on my behalf, and inquire.

The consulate informed her that they only issue visas (non B AND tourist) for people who are citizens of China or hold Chinese residency permits.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Seems a bit odd to me.

Thanks,

Stephen

Not odd at all. There have been reports of it on this forum and it is shown on their website.

There are many embassies and consulates that will not issue visas unless you are a citizen or legal resident of the country where they are located.

• Like 1

Not odd at all. There have been reports of it on this forum and it is shown on their website.

There are many embassies and consulates that will not issue visas unless you are a citizen or legal resident of the country where they are located.

As you say it is clear on their website.

Japan is another country that will only issue visas to citizens and legal residents, which again is made clear on the Thai embassy Japan website

Not sure what you really are looking for but Shanghai issued me with a multi entry Non O, based on a Thai wife. (They did however manage to completely bugger up all of the dates, you need to check it very carefully when you get your passport back, especially the dates of validity and the entry until dates) Good luck. You may be able to get a tourist visa if your China Visa is still valid, we did this the first time (It was quite a few years ago) so just a maybe.

And, if you manage to get the visa, make sure you open your passport at the visa page when entering Thailand and point out the visa, or, you may like me end up with a 30 day visa exempt instead of the correct stay.

Edited by rockwell585

I have a friend (not a Chinese citizen, not sure about residency permit) who obtained a few tourist visas at the Shanghai consulate, last one around July 2015. They are a hassle to deal with, asking for new and unusual documents like an employment letter each time, and apparently like to give people at least a run-around if not an outright refusal. Avoid if you can.