Gprs Availability In Pattaya

Phil Conners

In order to remain in contact with my overseas business I rely on the Internet being available 100% of the time.

I already have duplicated my hardware and have 3 different ISP's I can switch between, the weak link now is the telco - TTT. Sometimes my telephone line "disappear". The line just goes dead, sometimes, like yesterday for 7-8 hours. TTT either don't even know it's dead or blame it on whatever excuse seems handy.

A TOT line could be interesting for backup, but that would require some rewiring in the house that I'd rather be without, so as an alternative I was considering GPRS. I know it's primarily considered for mobile devices, but I think it would be ok as a backup, but is it available in Pattaya? I checked DTAC and they don't seem to offer GPRS here ... everywhere else in Thailand but not in Pattaya. Go figure.

I might even get one of them new Nokia cell phones with builtin keyboard, or perhaps a GPRS enabled PDM to be able to read email on the go. Anyone has experience with that in Pattaya.

Not a problem. It's the same procedure as for a laptop, though connection will be easier with a cable or Bluetooth.

Infra red adaptors can be obtained inexpensively(900 baht), but the telephone will have to be placed in the correct position.

Connection as per the instructions with your mobile telephone and website and the relevant network providers website.