Anyone upgraded to OSX El Capitan yet?

webfact

Help.....

Have not had any issues with EC (10.11.1) iMac 27 inch mid 2010 until I installed the latest recommended update "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.18....

...now I cannot open Photos....I get a box that tells me Photos cannot be opened because of a problem, then goes on to say "Check with the developer.....

Then later says this report will be sent to Apple automatically.

What should I do......just wait for Apple to send me more updates?

Any ideas would be most appreciative...Thanks.

You are getting "check with the developer" when you try to launch Photos, which is an Apple product? That sort of doesn't make sense, since Apple is the developer. Can you post the rest of the error message you are getting here?

Also, note the exact time that you launched Photos and it stalled, open Console, and maybe post a few lines from that time of what you see here.

If you are using a Mac Air with fixed 2GB RAM I would not recommend an upgrade, it will get quite slow! Its part of Apple's strategy to make software updates slowing down devices with a minimum spec, and then you ask a "genius" how to make it faster and they will advise you to buy a new one.

If you are using a Mac Air with fixed 2GB RAM I would not recommend an upgrade, it will get quite slow! Its part of Apple's strategy to make software updates slowing down devices with a minimum spec, and then you ask a "genius" how to make it faster and they will advise you to buy a new one.

I hardly think that Apple or Microsoft or PC makers have a strategy to "slow down devices". Processors continue to increase in power each year and new, more capable software is written for the current generation of processors and available memory. That is the reason why many use a diminishing value rate for laptops with depreciation to zero value in three years.

IAH are we?

I upgraded to 4gb ram on my 2011 MBA and it runs fine...with El Capitan . Is the 2010 model fixed to 2gb? If not look at adding another 2gb ram.

Same with Mac Mini... it's fine too ....

I don't use IPhoto, it is has too many limitations, bah.gif .... Lightroom and or Picasa work fine.... thumbsup.gif

I upgraded to 4gb ram on my 2011 MBA and it runs fine...with El Capitan . Is the 2010 model fixed to 2gb? If not look at adding another 2gb ram.

I don't use IPhoto, it is has too many limitations, bah.gif .... Lightroom and or Picasa work fine.... thumbsup.gif

Just curious how you upgraded your memory on a 2011 Macbook Air. They came with either 2MB or 4MB of RAM soldered onto the CPU and they are supposedly not memory upgradable. As well, you cannot upgrade RAM on the 2010 MBA.

Help.....

Have not had any issues with EC (10.11.1) iMac 27 inch mid 2010 until I installed the latest recommended update "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.18....

...now I cannot open Photos....I get a box that tells me Photos cannot be opened because of a problem, then goes on to say "Check with the developer.....

Then later says this report will be sent to Apple automatically.

What should I do......just wait for Apple to send me more updates?

Any ideas would be most appreciative...Thanks.

You are getting "check with the developer" when you try to launch Photos, which is an Apple product? That sort of doesn't make sense, since Apple is the developer. Can you post the rest of the error message you are getting here?

Also, note the exact time that you launched Photos and it stalled, open Console, and maybe post a few lines from that time of what you see here.

Thanks bubba,

Unfortunately my iMac has now crashed. I am now on the wife]s windows laptop.

I also thought it strange that they would say check with the developer. I have tried starting disk utilities "Command + R" while powering up, then tried first aid etc.....still no joy.......so now looks like a trip into the iBeat store 65km away.

Once again thanks for your help bubba.

Cheers..

Just curious how you upgraded your memory on a 2011 Macbook Air. They came with either 2MB or 4MB of RAM soldered onto the CPU and they are supposedly not memory upgradable. As well, you cannot upgrade RAM on the 2010 MBA.

facepalm.gif Yes you are right, about the Mac Air ..... sorry not finished second coffee... before answering or should have kept my mouth shut~~!!!! tongue.png

It was the 2011 Mac MINI I upgraded, to 4gb ram .... (for sure!!!) smile.png

I found a problem on my iMac (late 2013 27"). The isight camera no longer works with Apple programs (Photo Booth) or other devs programs (Skype). The green light comes on okay but no picture. Checked the net and it appears I am not alone although this affects other Macs as well.

I reset SMC and PRAM but to no avail. It's weird as my MBP running the same OS version (10.11.2) has no problems with the camera. I may have to reinstall 10.11.2

• 1 month later...

I found a problem on my iMac (late 2013 27"). The isight camera no longer works with Apple programs (Photo Booth) or other devs programs (Skype). The green light comes on okay but no picture. Checked the net and it appears I am not alone although this affects other Macs as well.

I reset SMC and PRAM but to no avail. It's weird as my MBP running the same OS version (10.11.2) has no problems with the camera. I may have to reinstall 10.11.2

I finally worked out what the problem was. MenuMeters 1.8.1 while it may install on some macs it is incompatible with El Capitan (the developers web site says as much). I did a clean install of El Capitan, no MenuMeters and the built in HD Camera works again.

A web search will bring up lots of people who have the same problem. The Apple Support page lists 4 corrective options, the last being take it to an authorised repairer. They don't mention a possible third party software conflict at all. I knew it was a software issue as the camera light would come on when launching a program that used the camera.

If you like MenuMeters as much as I do, here is a link to someone who has re-written it so that it now works again on El Cap. (The original developer discontinued support)

http://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/

I have it on three different Macs and it works without a problem.

But I did have the old MenuMeters and never had a problem with my iSight. It was just that MenuMeters didn't work when I upped to El Cap.

Hello All, I had my HD start to die, mid 2011 Mini, went to iCare at The Mall Korat

and had it checked out.

The Tech said that it was the HD, it would take 2 weeks to order or walk down to

Banana and buy a SSD and he would install.

Got a Samsung SSD 850 EVO, 120GB as a temp repair till I build a Hackbox.

Bt.500 to install and he installed El Captain, looked nice and ran smooth, BUT, I

couldn't install either of the 3 aircards I regularly use. D-Link for DTAC, Wuawei

for AIS ad a ZTE for True H.

Took it back and they tried to install and no luck, reinstalled 10.9.5 and installed

the 3 air cards again for free.

Now that I have internet again, I can D/L VLC, like the volume control with the

mouse wheel.

rice555

• 2 weeks later...

My Macbook Pro was playing up, too much downloading, I think.

A 2009 model which I upgraded to Yosemite over the years and from 4 Gig to 6 Gig.

I reloaded my Leopard and tried to download Yosemite.

No Go.

Eventually, long story, I dowloaded El Captain.

Works well for me.

john