Riding style/ groups in Thailand

g4ostr1der

Hi all,

First of all i wanna introduce me iam Tom and 23 years old and recently stelled down in BKK. I always have been a biker and also want to start to ride here. I'll probably get one of these Kawasaki 650 bike for casual riding.

Since i will be new to riding here i want to ask what style most guys riding here? Like casual riding, cruising, exploring, racing etc.. Maybe there are any groups to join?

I am really intressted to meet other Bikers here but maybe a bit afraid to meet the wrong "group"; as i was looking for groups here in Thailand i came across these "Bikers" it looks dangerous to me. Or is this normal to ride like that in Thailand?

Edited by g4ostr1der

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I read correctly at the start that this was a ride consisting of litre bikes? If so, they seem to be travelling rather slowly (but it's hard to gauge considering that the camera is mounted backwards).

To the OP, there are various riding groups that does different sorts of riding (touring, high speed rides, off roading etc etc). PM me if you would like more information. Having said that, the videos don't show any particularly dangerous riding. In Thailand, most drivers don't understand about keep left unless overtaking so if you want to get from point A to B in relatively quick time, undertaking is a necessary riding style. Just make sure that your bike has enough power to get past in case the driver decides to switch lanes.

Welcome Tom welcomeani.gifwai.gif . Choose your riding buddies carefully , when it goes wrong , it can be bad . Make sure you have good ( 1st class ) insurance . For town riding , a supermoto / motard style of bike is one of the quickest . Observe the local riding style , and "rules of the road" . Have a look at the Kawasaki 250 Tracker at 156,000 baht. For everyday use a bike like the Yamaha Exciter 150 is perfect , as it has bigger wheels than scooters , for the potholes . And yes , you will feel a prat on it - we all do !. cheesy.gif

Looks like a good ride if they were liter bikes. They go fast but they have power to get out of harms way and coupled with powerful breaks it's a child's play. I wouldn't recommend similar riding style on a 300 cc or a scooter

Gweilo and Jeff thanks for the tips, like i said iam planning to get a kawa 650 should have decent power for thailand? But wouldnt be able to catch up with these guys in the video- still abit scared though of all the cutting through the traffic. Is a Literbike really usefull here?

looking at the video seems to be a average to slow bike speed for thailand. looks to be good fun.

Aren't you the guy that went over 200 kph at one time before a pick up cut across you?

Speeding is illegal but if i was that guy who had super duper evasive skills i would dust the guys in that video.

You may find it more useful to have a small and narrow town / work bike , and also a fun bike - Kawasaki 650 is a very good choice . Perhaps hire a small bike , to observe how , and what , others ride in town / traffic. A 650 may be too much.

looking at the video seems to be a average to slow bike speed for thailand. looks to be good fun.

Aren't you the guy that went over 200 kph at one time before a pick up cut across you?

Speeding is illegal but if i was that guy who had super duper evasive skills i would dust the guys in that video.

Oh, I'm not so sure. Looking at the videos again, these guys were on the Bang Na Trat road and the lead guy with the camera was weaving his way pretty impressively, leaving all the cars for dead. On the Bang Na Trat road, the traffic usually travels at about 100-120 kph so I would estimate that these guys were easily doing 160-180 if not more.

You may find it more useful to have a small and narrow town / work bike , and also a fun bike - Kawasaki 650 is a very good choice . Perhaps hire a small bike , to observe how , and what , others ride in town / traffic. A 650 may be too much.

It depends. The OP claims to have been riding bikes for quite a while, even though he's still fairly young (23 I believe). But if he's a competent rider, a 650 is a good compromise for commuting as well as weekend rides. They are also capable of speeds up to 180 / 200 so it's possible to keep up with litre bikes, depending on his riding ability

Gweilo and Jeff thanks for the tips, like i said iam planning to get a kawa 650 should have decent power for thailand? But wouldnt be able to catch up with these guys in the video- still abit scared though of all the cutting through the traffic. Is a Literbike really usefull here?

Yes, a 650 is plenty of power for most uses in Thailand. In many respects, I would even say that it's safer than scooters or smaller bikes due to it's larger presence on the road, bigger tyres, better brakes, better torque.

Is a litre bike really useful here? No, but it sure as hell is more fun!!!

Yes, a 650 is plenty of power for most uses in Thailand. In many respects, I would even say that it's safer than scooters or smaller bikes due to it's larger presence on the road, bigger tyres, better brakes, better torque.

Is a litre bike really useful here? No, but it sure as hell is more fun!!!

Of course a litre bike is needed otherwise they wouldn't sell them. No way to go from bkk to pattaya in less than 1.5 hours on a 300cc or koh chang in under 3.5 hours.

Ktm Jeff you sound like a fag. Ride hard or go home. I bet you ride a pcx. Id smoke all these guys on the highway. I have a sporter 1200. Real men ride Harleys. What kind of a name is hilimimator any way. I bet these guys toss each other off after the ride.

Ktm Jeff you sound like a fag. Ride hard or go home. I bet you ride a pcx. Id smoke all these guys on the highway. I have a sporter 1200. Real men ride Harleys. What kind of a name is hilimimator any way. I bet these guys toss each other off after the ride.

Does a Harley get above 100 kph? Serious question because each time I see a group of HD riders, they are riding along like, you know, real slow? I can actually overtake them on my PCX

yeah i know the guys on that video.they dont ride that fast (no balls) and they are wannabe riders, that is all.

better join kawasaki group with your new kawasaki.

Whoa whoa. Hero alert with all of 35 posts. What bike did you say you were riding? Benelli 300 or something?

haha I thi k a few here will agree with you.

So are you against gay ktm riders?

yeah i know the guys on that video.they dont ride that fast (no balls) and they are wannabe riders, that is all.

Whoa whoa. Hero alert with all of 35 posts. What bike did you say you were riding? Benelli 300 or something?

i ride a scoopy i but can do 140 kph with it!

can you? sure no balls!

i can smoke those guys on the video with my scoopy i scooter!

Edited by maykilceksin

Personally I think the guys riding in that video are a bit reckless. Thailand's roads aren't built for that kind of speed and most of these riders probably don't know how to ride the 'Thai' way. I certainly would not like to ride with hoons like that.

Thing is, we don't know the speed as it's hard to tell looking backwards.

Are any guys on this forum one of those riders?

i ride a scoopy i but can do 140 kph with it!

can you? sure no balls!

i can smoke those guys on the video with my scoopy i scooter!

140 is pretty common on a scooter if going off a cliff.

Personally I think the guys riding in that video are a bit reckless. Thailand's roads aren't built for that kind of speed and most of these riders probably don't know how to ride the 'Thai' way. I certainly would not like to ride with hoons like that.

anyway they dont send an invitation to you either to join them i am sure.

Agreed they seem to be a cautious and Conscientious group

yep, too much caution kills the fun.

those guys on the video are like kids riding a horse on a carousel.laugh.png

they have to sell those liter bikes and get scooters or cbr250r s to start learning to ride again from scratch unfortunately.