aussie dollar and the thai baht

Just goes to show the government stooges have little real control of even their own currency.

Gillard and her crew hated it high but despite all the crowing it is not as low as they hoped or predicted.

I suspect people from other countries who have lived and possibly made money in Australia are doing a mass exodus to other places where the cost of living is not sky high.

I had an importing business back in Australia for 10 years where daily I would check the dollar.

I use to read what the "experts" use to say but they were usually always wrong. The truth is that you can't tell what will happen to the dollar. People will invest and take their money out of stock all the time based on how they feel on that day hence why it's basically impossible.

At present, it looks like we might have another world war where the UN is dumping sanctions on every country joining Russia which includes China where the Australia dollar mainly realised on China. It's one reason why our dollar has been stabled since 2010.

Fantastic to read everybody's contributions, and many thanks. I am now… none the wiser!!

There are a fair few posts bringing in the US dollar, and i understand why, since the baht seems to be fairly fixed according to what the USD does? But rather than rely upon my dodgy efforts to understand currency and money, could posters let me know if the USD comes down (i recall it being always in the late 20s many years ago) what that means for the AUSD? Is a weak USD good for a stronger AUSD when measured against the thai baht?

I changed some hard currency i have with me yesterday in chiang mai at 25.5 baht. It feels instinctively to me that getting 25 for the foreseeable future is a more than acceptable amount in the current times (history is history). I may wait and hope it goes up to 27 which would be a sizeable difference, but it feels like that might take longer to get to than it going the other way down to say 24. And that feels like a poor amount.

My main reason for starting this thread was because i'd like to bring over enough aussie dollars here to thailand to buy a new pick-up truck, and clearly that's a sizeable chunk. I would also like to buy more gold here simply because i just wonder how long this increasing debt-generating machine that is the US federal reserve can go on before a huge BUST!

Thanks again to all of you for your input.

If you think to buy gold to escape the exchange fluctuations, where the heck will you keep it? Gold is the first thing that people steal, even when its around your neck. And the prize of gold is changing too. No escaping the pain of watching your dollar going down. If we live long enough, we might even see it go up again. Something to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...