Is Jomtiem a safe area in Pattaya...

Muzarella

I am planning in visiting Pattaya for first time with my Thai wife. She have concerns about safety. We are thinking in stay in Jomtiem Beach, just enjoying the beach and some landmarks, no bars, or night life, but we will change for Cha Am beach if we have bad advice about Jomtiem.

Your opinion?

Thanks.

Jomtien is safe. Especially if you are not out very late at night. Most issues happen very late at night.

There are some nice bars in the area and some good restaurants. Let's move this over to the Pattaya forum for more help. A link will be left here in the travel forum.

Safety is not a big issue in Jomtien.

Common sense is all you need.

Safer than some spots in Pattaya.

If I am in the area I go to Jomtien to relax from Pattaya tongue.png

just enjoying the beach

Thats more of a concern.

Just watching, not go swimming.

The water is not what you expect from a "tropical beach".

Cha Am? A mate was there recently and found it too boring (low season also).

But thats just a personal experience.

Edited by KhunBENQ

When you come to Pattaya,you need to wear a bulletproof best at all times ,also make sure you are armed and never ever walk alone after lunchtime,especially down beach rd ,there are lots of Indians who will acost you ,and blue pickups with seats in the back ,they will honk their horns and ask you to get in then try and get as much ofyour money as they can,beware it is an evil place ,and don't get me started on the Russians up in Jomtien

i drove down jomtiem main stretch last night have not seen it for over a year

it was terrible, construction all the way down the beach, lots of people just sitting on the sidewalks on blankets drinking and

the smell of garbage from the start of the beach that stays with you even after 5 to 10 minutes of zipping down the street

I have no idea how one could eat outside at a restauarant on the beach front area at least at night.. i was not impressed at all, perhaps its better in the day

i drove down jomtiem main stretch last night have not seen it for over a year

Indeed, forgot about this.

One should better live south of Soi 8 or so.

The "main stretch" is a terrible construction site for ?? months/years.

Small correction. Jomtien is not in Pattaya. They are both parts of Nongprue, which is a subdivision of Banglamung, and then part of the Province of Chonburi.

Glad we cleared that up !!

Jomtien is quite safe. Of course, like everywhere else on the planet, if you go looking for it, you will probably find it.

When you come to Pattaya,you need to wear a bulletproof best at all times ,also make sure you are armed and never ever walk alone after lunchtime,especially down beach rd ,there are lots of Indians who will acost you ,and blue pickups with seats in the back ,they will honk their horns and ask you to get in then try and get as much ofyour money as they can,beware it is an evil place ,and don't get me started on the Russians up in Jomtien

If you're old enough to know better.... why write such crap ?

Since you removed bars and night life from your potential activities, you should be fine pretty much anywhere.

Stay away from Walking Street and the bar sois, and the beach promenade late at night, and you have just reduced the danger scenarios to one: the traffic. Crossing a busy street at any time of day is just shy of combat on the danger scale.

An alternative to Pattaya or Jomtien: Wong Amat Beach in Naklua. No hassles, plenty of hotels and decent restaurants, and some of the landmarks i.e. the Sanctuary of Truth.

just leased a house for 12 months just out from Jomtien - sounds like gonna be fun

because he has nothing better to do - a successful attempt at humour one would surmise

Get a life ,or get out more ,it was a joke ,God some people

I assume if it's thats bad you are not here now and will never return ?

Jomtien is a safe place , nice bars nice restaurants , same as any were else be sensible in what you do , at this moment in time there is a lot of construction going on down the lower end , trying to improve the area , dont take to much notice of the statement saying you need a bullet proof vest , i have lived in this area for 12 years .

Jomtien is a safe place , nice bars nice restaurants , same as any were else be sensible in what you do , at this moment in time there is a lot of construction going on down the lower end , trying to improve the area , dont take to much notice of the statement saying you need a bullet proof vest , i have lived in this area for 12 years .

Sorry , as so many of you took me seriously , bullet proof vests are no longer needed it seems , Jomtien is now crime free (since the Russians left)tongue.png

My sister came to stay recently with her husband. She had pre booked a hotel at the south entrance to Walking st (Jomtien side).

I was worried as I thought it would all be a huge culture shock for her. I couldn't have been more wrong they had a wonderful holiday. They felt safe the whole time and didn't see any trouble. Restaurants close by were classy and good value. The hotel was beautiful, as were the views.

There are seedy areas in Jomtien as there are many many in Pattaya. Some people holiday here absolutely oblivious to them and simply enjoy a normal holiday.

Most of us that write here on TV have seen far too much of the other side of whats available here and therefore will only give an opinion on our own experiences.

Everywhere is safe in Pattaya. Then again I guess the question is relative and depends on your point of view. In over 100 countries I have been in places that the general public would consider unsafe however to me it was business as usual and I never felt uneasy or saw anything adverse take place.

Areas where there are many people are fine but I would be very wary of walking alone on roads behind Jomtien 2nd Road after midnight. There have been various muggings and rapes in those areas. Just do a search in the news sub-forum.

Edited by KittenKong

Everywhere is safe in Pattaya.

You are deluded.

That is why I said it is relative. I have been living in Pattaya for 5 years and have never had a problem anywhere in the city that I have gone at any time of the day or night. YMMV!

Everywhere is safe in Pattaya.

You are deluded.

That is why I said it is relative. I have been living in Pattaya for 5 years and have never had a problem anywhere in the city that I have gone at any time of the day or night. YMMV!

I've been living and visiting here for nearly 40 years, and in all that time I have never had a problem either. But I have read about and seen many problems relating to street violence and street crime. New ones can be read about in the news sub-forum here every single day.

So I would never call this place safe. The little town I used to live in Europe was safe as there were never any reported incidents of street violence or street crime.