hidden danger.

Glad you find a reliable and knowledgeable vet in the end, and your dog is finally on his way of recovery as it seems, although his platelets are still scarily low.

And yes, I agree to always get a print out of the (any) test results and a proper explanation. Beside that, educating yourself on the basics and not just blindly following a vet's diagnosis and treatment is a must (anywhere in the world, not only here). It should be part of each pet-owner's care for their pets.

Reading back a few post .... it seems the platelets keep on going down and not up.
80k, 28k and now 24k? That's creepy. Hard to believe it is still from the blood loss end of October! You said that in an earlier post as well.

I've seen dogs with even lower platelets counts caused by tick disease. After 1 to 2 weeks doxy they were pretty much back to normal range. Why is this not the case with your dog? Does the vet have another explanation, beside the blood loss more than a month ago and not taken enough blood stories?

I too have gone through the ringer with my dog. Thanks for the info. It can be a battle keeping them healthy........lots of those meds are the same as for humans. My vet didnt like it when I asked her why the same anti biotic for me was 100b and 700b for my dog.

Edited by NickJ

Reading back a few post .... it seems the platelets keep on going down and not up.

80k, 28k and now 24k? That's creepy. Hard to believe it is still from the blood loss end of October! You said that in an earlier post as well.

I've seen dogs with even lower platelets counts caused by tick disease. After 1 to 2 weeks doxy they were pretty much back to normal range. Why is this not the case with your dog? Does the vet have another explanation, beside the blood loss more than a month ago and not taken enough blood stories?

thanks nienke, it is worrying about his platelet count,before his loss of blood,the vet said no need for another test yet his count was 13,000 9th.oct.that was one reason we had to find another.

since the hospital had a blood test done on 27th.oct.150,000 the count has gone down every one,these have been done by an animal testing lab.the previous done at a human testing lab.

well the wife has not had much confidence with this new vet,and things came to a head when he tried to rip her off [not recomended] she has no time for anyone who does this,so she sent him packing.

so tomorrow he finishes this course of doxy [7days] so its his platelet count we are worried about.

so she will go to another animal hospital and have a blood test done on the 14th.dec.

myself i am not convinced that we are getting true platelet counts,even when no parasites found his wbc.and rbc. have been good.and liver and kidney count very good.

the past 2weeks he has been on fire,its a while since he has been like this he is very very well.

it does seem these vets have only one interest MONEY no thought for the dogs welfare.

the wife did ask the vet on the 20th.nov.why his his platelet count going down reply DIDNT TAKE ENOUGH BLOOD i have been told by one regular poster on here that is BS. thanks once again MEATBOY.

If he's running about like crazy, it can't be bad, Meatboy.

I thought of you this morning when my toy poodle, all 4 1/2 kgs of her, came back from a walk which lasted over 2 hours, and tired me. The little girl started running around like a mad thing, in one door, round outside the house, back again, up on the sofa (oops!). How does she get the energy? She doesn't eat much either.

If he's running about like crazy, it can't be bad, Meatboy.

I thought of you this morning when my toy poodle, all 4 1/2 kgs of her, came back from a walk which lasted over 2 hours, and tired me. The little girl started running around like a mad thing, in one door, round outside the house, back again, up on the sofa (oops!). How does she get the energy? She doesn't eat much either.

thanks IB. he wants the wife[his mum] to play ball all the time,i cant keep up with him,we will see if the blood sample can be split into two parts.then we will get 2 tests done at different labs.

he eats very well.

MEATBOY.

• 2 weeks later...

been intouch with a new vet at md.animal hospital to book our boy in for a blood test.

she said she would like to check him at the clinic for a health check.

as for the blood test,she mentioned the lab that done the testing in jan.-april,RIA.

but advised us to have a snap test aswell which will cover everything.

this is the first time any vet has mentioned SNAP TEST.

so is this what we should go ahead with.

thanks for any advice.

been intouch with a new vet at md.animal hospital to book our boy in for a blood test.

as for the blood test,she mentioned the lab that done the testing in jan.-april,RIA.

thanks for any advice.

we are learning more and more about the detection of parasite's every test,most of which none of our previous vets told us.

yesterday on the advice of a new vet and a tv.member we had our boy tested.one was carried out by the regular testing lab,and the other was a snap test.

if the infection is small like our boy has got, the only test that will detect the parasite EHRLICHIA CANIS is the SNAP TEST.also ANAPLASMA PLATYS.

so if like us we were led up the garden path jan.-april, sept.- dec. then thinking its gone,dooooooooooo get a SNAP TEST DONE.

thanks for any advice.

we are learning more and more about the detection of parasite's every test,most of which none of our previous vets told us.

yesterday on the advice of a new vet and a tv.member we had our boy tested.one was carried out by the regular testing lab,and the other was a snap test.

if the infection is small like our boy has got, the only test that will detect the parasite EHRLICHIA CANIS is the SNAP TEST.also ANAPLASMA PLATYS.

so if like us we were led up the garden path jan.-april, sept.- dec. then thinking its gone,dooooooooooo get a SNAP TEST DONE.

update.EHRLICHIA CANIS STILL THERE, platelet count still down,everything else is fine.as he has been on doxy for so long the vet thinks its best to change the med.has anybody used these? VIBRABET PASTE FOR THE INFECTION and IROSINE FOR BLOOD SUPPORT.

thanks for any advice.

update.EHRLICHIA CANIS STILL THERE, platelet count still down,everything else is fine.as he has been on doxy for so long the vet thinks its best to change the med.has anybody used these? VIBRABET PASTE FOR THE INFECTION and IROSINE FOR BLOOD SUPPORT.

How long has he been on Doxycycline? For one of our dogs it took six months on Doxy to finally get his platelet count up to normal, and according to our vet in Chiang Mai that is not unusual - especially for older dogs. His platelet counts were (where 175 - 500 is normal):

May: 148

July: 151

August: 152

September: 159

October: 134 (that had us worried)

November: 219

If less than six months, then I wouldn't take him off Doxy yet. But he should definitely have iron supplements to help him build up the platelet count again.

Sophon

thanks sophon he started doxy back 7th.sept.so less than 4months,what i dont like is when the vet [on our third] the previous 2 give you loose tabs. with no strenght or manu.so you have to trust them with what they are giving you,we would spend any amount of money to get him right but my wife hates getting ripped off. 4times in as many weeks.so the vet knows not to fk.with her.

meatboy

• 4 weeks later...

We have had tick parasite problems on 2 separate occasions with our 2 year old Golden Retriever Bitch. 1st time came to light with pale gums / low platelet count check before spaying and the 2nd time following light nostril bleeds. The Vet in Buriram carried out the Snap Tests and blood analysis to confirm and prescribed pills including blood support tablets. Seems like a very competent young Vet but she only speaks a little English so not easy to cross examine!

As we all know we can not let our guard down regarding Ticks as we can never fully eradicate them and I am always looking out for symptoms.

I have 1 question, does anyone know if Lyme's disease is a prevalent in Thailand and if so will the Snap Test pick it up?

Thank You.

We have had tick parasite problems on 2 separate occasions with our 2 year old Golden Retriever Bitch. 1st time came to light with pale gums / low platelet count check before spaying and the 2nd time following light nostril bleeds. The Vet in Buriram carried out the Snap Tests and blood analysis to confirm and prescribed pills including blood support tablets. Seems like a very competent young Vet but she only speaks a little English so not easy to cross examine!

As we all know we can not let our guard down regarding Ticks as we can never fully eradicate them and I am always looking out for symptoms.

I have 1 question, does anyone know if Lyme's disease is a prevalent in Thailand and if so will the Snap Test pick it up?

Thank You.

as far as i know its confined to the usa,a snap test only tests their inmune system,and detects if parasite's are present.

when you had the blood test done did you get a complete analysis lab.report.ask for a print out that gives you the normal range to compare if not i will print one for you.

Thank You.

as far as i know its confined to the usa,a snap test only tests their inmune system,and detects if parasite's are present.

when you had the blood test done did you get a complete analysis lab.report.ask for a print out that gives you the normal range to compare if not i will print one for you.

She did show me the printout and we both went through the figures, a lot of the terminology was in English so pretty easy to understand. As mentioned she did seem competent and thorough giving me confidence in her abilities, perhaps being youngish she is up to date with the latest methods and procedures etc..

what was the meds she gave you,after a yr.of different ones we have recorded every one and looked up,what for,side effects,what ones can be taken with others,with food or without,morning or evening.and kept all the blood test results.

what type of parasite did they find?

Thank You.

Definitely not confined to the U.S., according to the Lyme Disease Association Lyme disease is present in more than 80 countries world wide. However, Thailand is not among those countries.

Sophon

Thank You.

Definitely not confined to the U.S., according to the Lyme Disease Association Lyme disease is present in more than 80 countries world wide. However, Thailand is not among those countries.

Sophon

yes i read up on it,it comes from the deer tick and its dangerous to humans.mind you there are a few old deer's might have it down in patts.when the us.navy comes into town.

• 8 months later...

not being able to create a new topic,i shall try and post this concern that has been started in the medical forum.[ PREDISOLONE]

reading the posts of this dangerous drug that one member has been taking and the concern of other members.

should we be letting our loved ones being prescibed PREDISOLONE] by vets.

our boy was given this drug by vets,one giving him 6 a day,another vet 12 a day with other tabs ANTIBIOTICS.this nearly killed him.

i did find out that predisolone should not be stopped sudden but taken off gradually.yet we were not told this.

one side affect that has been posted in the med.forum is being depressed,yes that made our boy very very depressed and more.

meatboy love me love my dog.

Prednisolone does have an essential role to play in the management of some health conditions...often a life -saving one. The key issue is whether it is prescribed and used appropriately and this in turn reverts to the competency of the Vet.

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Prednisolone does have an essential role to play in the management of some health conditions...often a life -saving one. The key issue is whether it is prescribed and used appropriately and this in turn reverts to the competency of the Vet.

not being able to create a new topic,i shall try and post this concern that has been started in the medical forum.[ PREDISOLONE]

reading the posts of this dangerous drug that one member has been taking and the concern of other members.

should we be letting our loved ones being prescibed PREDISOLONE] by vets.

our boy was given this drug by vets,one giving him 6 a day,another vet 12 a day with other tabs ANTIBIOTICS.this nearly killed him.

i did find out that predisolone should not be stopped sudden but taken off gradually.yet we were not told this.

one side affect that has been posted in the med.forum is being depressed,yes that made our boy very very depressed and more.

meatboy love me love my dog.

thanks sheryl,it does concern me when medication is prescibed for our loved ones with no info on them from the past vets.

when that virus was going round,soar throat persistant coughing the doctor gave me predisolone but told me she wouldnt give me any antibiotics.

although we have a vet who we can trust now,i am still going to be on my guard.

My dog has been on Prednisolone for a while now.

She had a lump and an operation to remove the lump - and the biopsy showed that it was malignant.  Consequently Prednisolore was prescribed in case the cancer wasn't entirely removed.

As it turned out, it wasn't - so the dosage was increased/chemotherapy started etc. etc.

As Sheryl says, there are times when its required in an effort to prolong the dog's active, happy life.

I also agree that it depends so much on a competent vet :(.

Edited by dick dasterdly

16 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

My dog has been on Prednisolone for a while now.

She had a lump and an operation to remove the lump - and the biopsy showed that it was malignant.  Consequently Prednisolore was prescribed in case the cancer wasn't entirely removed.

As it turned out, it wasn't - so the dosage was increased/chemotherapy started etc. etc.

As Sheryl says, there are times when its required in an effort to prolong the dog's active, happy life.

I also agree that it depends so much on a competent vet :(.

hope she gets well soon,i spoke to our latest vet about it,and he told me as long as its prescibed by yes DD.A COMPETENT VET.

meatboy.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:00 AM, meatboy said:

hope she gets well soon,i spoke to our latest vet about it,and he told me as long as its prescibed by yes DD.A COMPETENT VET.

meatboy.

Thanks meatboy.  The cancer can't be cured, so the best hope is that the chemo and drugs result in her enjoying walks and food for (far?) longer than she would without the chemo and drugs.