A1 GESE Grade 2 test - FAILED

My wife has just sat the above mentioned test here in the UK and failed. It became apparent that she could take the test whilst here in the UK on a family visit visa so I booked her on the test to see what her standard of English would be and whether she would pass. The cost of the test was irrelevant. She took the test with the Trinity College of London test centre in Peterborough.

We prepared her at home by using the test centre sample material posted on their website. What surprised my wife, was that the test material and example questions were nothing like what she was asked in her test, and as a result, was not prepared for the questions. She failed on Communicative Skills and Grammar. The thing is, she can conversate with everyone in English on a range of topics, but her grammar has let her down.

So now she has failed, we are considering the next steps for a re-test. We are both returning to Thailand at the end of this month, and would like her to sit the test again at one of the recognised centres in Thailand.

What I am strugling to find, is somewhere that provides training in advance for this test. I remember one Language centre called Vantage Siam in BKK who did a 3-4 day preparation course prior to sitting the test, but this used to be for the old BULATS test.

Has anyone's partners prepared for this test and can recommend any courses in preparation?

Guemlum

What is required for the initial visa is a GESE Grade 2 pass in speaking and listening. (See here)

Did she achieve this?

If she did, does her test result show this?

If so, that is all that is required for the initial visa; even if she does not actually have a pass certificate because she failed the not required by UKVI elements.

No problem 7by7...I'm hoping that others may have some information or experience in preparing for this test, although whilst in Thailand the test will be harder as it includes reading and writing. Not important as part of the visa application I might add.

Guemlum

There are some great examples of the 6 minute test on you tube. My GF was in the UK and after seeing the examples I rushed to Hammersmith for the test and she passed with a merit. The trick is when being spoken to is to also ask a question or two back to the examiner. Vantage in BKK wanted her back for another 4 day course before taking her A1. Not needed now.

You might want to make contact with Thai Visa member brewsterbudgen, he's a regular contributor in this area and I believe is involved with training for English tests here in Thailand.

Happy to help. But first I'll need to be sure she's taking IELTS Life Skills A1. In Thailand she can take it at either the British Council or IDP. It is only speaking and listening. Writing and reading are not assessed.

I will be in touch with you shortly Brewsterbudgen. We also prepared by viewing the videos on both the Trinity website and on YouTube but my wife said the test questions were different and therefore was not prepared...she said the interviewer who was male was abrubt and was more interested in me than anything else. Anyway, we will now prepare her for the IELTS Life Skills A1 test in Thailand.

<snip>

but my wife said the test questions were different and therefore was not prepared.....

I'm sorry; but why would anyone expect the questions in the real test to be the same as those in practice tests?

It's a test of the candidates English, not their memory!

I will be in touch with you shortly Brewsterbudgen. We also prepared by viewing the videos on both the Trinity website and on YouTube but my wife said the test questions were different and therefore was not prepared...she said the interviewer who was male was abrubt and was more interested in me than anything else. Anyway, we will now prepare her for the IELTS Life Skills A1 test in Thailand.

Life Skills examiners are supposed to stick rigidly to their scripts and are definitely not supposed to ask questions about the applicant's partner/spouse! All Life Skills tests are videoed to avoid this, and examiners are regularly monitored by IELTS & UKVI.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't A1 mean that the candidate should be able to answer simple questions about themselves and their family?

If so, then asking about the candidates husband seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't A1 mean that the candidate should be able to answer simple questions about themselves and their family?

If so, then asking about the candidates husband seems reasonable to me.

There are general questions relating to friends and family, but questions about the relationship between the candidate and her/his "partner" are off limits. In fact the examiner asks very few direct questions, as the goal of the interview is to get the two candidates to converse with each other, with the examiner just observing and stepping in when needed.

Thanks for that.

Of course, we don't know the questions Mrs Guemlum was asked; general ones (allowed?) or specific ones (not allowed?).

Indeed. Also I don't know if the Trinity test (which I believe she took) differs very much from the IELTS Life Skills test. At A1 level, the questions asked by the examiner in IELTS Life Skills are very basic and very non-specific!

• Like 1