Video highlighting dangers of cycling in Thailand goes viral

webfact

Video highlighting dangers of cycling in Thailand goes viral

BANGKOK:-- A video posted by a motorist which shows a group of cyclists riding dangerous close to traffic on a busy highway has gone viral.

The video was posted by Facebook user Wissnu Naraya and received more than 4,500 comments on the YouLike Facebook page.

Feedback from netizens was mixed, with some stating how they believed the cyclists were acting dangerously, whilst others said that motorists should be more careful when cyclists are on the road.

Throughout the video explains Mr Wissnu says that whilst he does not hold any feelings against cyclist, he does believe they should be more careful when cycling on busy roads.

He also says that it is often the case that motorists always get the blame if they are involved in an accident with a cyclist, however, cyclists should also be responsible for cycling safely.

Do you think the cyclists are at fault?

Source: ThaiRath

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what the vehicle type is, one of the golden rules for highway driving is that one should, at all times, try to match the speed of the cars around you. When we are all travelling at a similar speed, the risk of running into a slower vehicle is much lower. That is why minimum speeds are also enforced in most first-world countries. There is nothing more dangerous than a stationary or slow moving car on a highway.

Now, also factor that a cyclist is totally unprotected. In the case of an accident with a car or truck, there is nothing between his body and 10 tons of fast moving metal, except a cycling vest and a plastic helmet. One mistake and you're dead.

It just takes just a second of lost concentration on the part of a truck driver for his vehicle to move a few centimeters into the other lane - and those cyclists are all toast!

Whether or not Thai traffic law permits them to use a highway instead of the frontage road, I'm not 100% sure, but what I am 100% sure of, is that if they valued their lives, they would be as far away from the main highway as possible. Forget about the frontage road even - take the scenic route; enjoy the views and arrive alive.

Like most activities involving the use of the roads in Thailand or indeed anywhere, a degree of common sense is required.

Clearly these guys are lacking that due to the fact that they choose to use the highway. Add to that the lack of common sense generally attributed to the majorityThai drivers, then trouble will ensue.

I am a cyclist and choose to undertake my daily outings in the early morning from 5.30am onwards. The roads are still quiet at that time and along with appropriate safety gear, I have in 2 years never encountered any dramas.

Cyclist can ill afford (in Thailand at least) to foster a 'holier than thou' attitude...it'll get them killer.

I think they were doing a paceline, with the front rider peeling off after his turn at the front. They were stupidly using more than one lane. A danger to themselves and others. Yes, they were making good speed, but very poor riding overall.

I think they were doing a paceline, with the front rider peeling off after his turn at the front. They were stupidly using more than one lane. A danger to themselves and others. Yes, they were making good speed, but very poor riding overall.

Yep, a bit more to the left would have been much safer.

What was the point in this video? All evidence is against the cyclists, no question about that. I'll give benefit of the doubt that there was no other way (yea yea there was but disregard) and chose the dangerous path...one thing trying to make a point, another thing to be retarded about it, there was no need to be so far off to the right and doubling up (at least it looks like they aren't in a line).It _may_ have been another story if the video dude wasn't there and cars were cutting them close, but the cyclist are way too edging the right side including swaying around.

Anyway, it wasn't the most appropriate area for bikes in the first place, so whatever their meaningless debate is all about...

standard safety advice for cyclist groups is to "take the lane" which is what they appear to be doing most of the time.

i've seen very few cycling groups do pace lines correctly here, this is actually far from the worst (think brownian motion). because of that i've given up riding w/groups years ago, scared the crap out of me too many times.

when i have to ride highways i tend to stick to the shoulder as best i can, which goes against best practice though i've never been dinged by cars doing that. i have been dinged by side view mirrors a number of times in bangkok, 90% on hathairat road where passing on the left seems to be a thing.

in any case, motorized vehicles need to drive more responsibly/defensively here. driver behavior pose far greater danger to cyclists than cyclists' own behavior.

This hype about cycliing we've seen in Thailand recently will probably end soon, we just need a couple of deadly accidents.

There have been several deadly accidents. No convictions as a result though, not that I am aware of anyway.

Those guys in the video were asking to be clipped though, bizarre riding..

I ride a mountain bike all the time, (except when dark or rainy) and this video shows some very poor cycling, they are far to way out on the lane, this type of riding is clearly a poor attitude towards the other vehicles etc, also they should have a LED red lights on their bikes, even in day time for safety!