Taxi Driver Injured After Hitting Army Tank

george

Taxi driver injured after hitting Army tank

BANGKOK: -- The army raised security at Bangkok's Royal Plaza after a taxi driver slammed his car into a stationary tank early Saturday morning.

Nuamthong Praiwan, 60, a native of Bangkok's suburban Nonthaburi province, received injuries and was sent to a government-run hospital for treatment.

Shortly after the incident, the number of soldiers in the area was increased while tanks were moved away some 20 metres from the main road.

Police initially charged the taxi driver with reckless driving and causing damage to government property.

Meanwhile, a physician at the hospital said that Mr. Nuamthong's condition was no longer critical but that he still needed to be under the care of doctors as he suffered a swollen left eye, a broken chin and three broken ribs.

The doctor said blood tests would be made to determine whether Mr. Nuamthong had consumed alcohol before the incident took place.

--TNA 2006-09-30

Although the CDR has banned large gatherings, the pro Thaksin crowd has been pretty quiet. Are they organizing something? Will the lid come off next week?

Suicidal taxi drivers? Sounds like Baghdad not Bangkok. I guess his village fund will pay his medical bills. :o

Taxi driver injured after hitting Army tank

BANGKOK: -- blah blah blah..........

taxi driver slammed his car into a stationary tank

blah blah blah--TNA 2006-09-30

:o:D :D

*"that'll get rid of those pesky coup throwerssssssssss! Now, where's me Lao Kao?"

Protesting driver rams taxi into Army tank

An elderly taxi driver rammed his vehicle into an Army tank yesterday morning in what he described as a protest against the September 19 coup.

The 60-year-old cab driver, Nuamthong Praiwan, broke his ribs and cut his chin and lips in the stunt when he crashed his taxi into a tank parked at the Royal Plaza.

The front of the taxi, including its windscreen, was badly damaged while the armoured vehicle at the receiving end had some scratches.

Graffiti spray-painted around the taxi read: "Sacrificing life" and "You destroyers of the country".

Nuamthong, a resident of Nonthaburi, said he was disappointed with the coup that overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, who was popular among taxi drivers.

"I did it intentionally to protest the junta that has destroyed our country, and I painted all the words myself," he said from his bed at Vachira Hospital.

His doctor said the taxi driver had swollen eyelids in addition to four broken ribs and a cut chin. She declined to give further details, citing the medical code of ethics.

A soldier on guard who witnessed the event said that the taxi had circled the area where tanks were parked at the Royal Plaza a few times.

The graffiti on the vehicle made it appear more suspicious and therefore he signalled the driver to stop. The driver instead sped up and slammed into steel barricades before hitting the tank, said the soldier, who requested anonymity.

Police said the cab driver was charged with damaging state property.

- The Nation

----------------------------------------------------------

one of Thaksin's more enlightened taxi thugs... well done, Nuamthong

:o

With your taxi destroyed, perhaps you can ram your bicycle into a tank after recovering from your current injuries... hang some origami birds from the seat first.

Police initially charged the taxi driver with reckless driving and causing damage to government property.

Wonder how much a couple of dabs of green touchup paint costs? :D

This is the new covert name for tea money mostly used during times of a Marshall Law, just after a Military coup. :o

He got my attention.

Erh, what did he want to say?

That like the taxi, Thai Rak Thai is beyond repair. :D

:D

good one, Tony..

I'm trying to find an online photo of the scene I saw on television news... the damage done to the front of the tank.

There's at least a 8 mm long chip in the paint.

Edited by sriracha john

With your taxi destroyed, perhaps you can ram your bicycle into a tank after recovering from your current injuries... hang some origami birds from the seat first.

I'm assuming that this is one of those enlightened taxi drivers who reads The Nation on a daily basis...? :D

He got my attention.

Erh, what did he want to say?

That like the taxi, Thai Rak Thai is beyond repair. :D

good one, Tony..

I'm trying to find an online photo of the scene I saw on television news... the damage done to the front of the tank.

There's at least a 8 mm long chip in the paint.

Please find a picture I need to see it!! It would finish this post off pefectly :D:D

I'm assuming that this is one of those enlightened taxi drivers who reads The Nation on a daily basis...? :D

Yes, I believe he was.

Certainly he was clearly capable of comprehending the English-language sign that had been placed earlier at the Royal Plaza:

royalplazasign.jpg