Rant about driving in Thailand

yacobm8

with you 100 percent, hate driving here, hate being a passenger either on a Bus or in a Taxi..

Scares the crap out of me..

Thais dont mind, coz they dont know any better.. they think this is how the ''WORLD'' Drives ???

YES RIGHT..

Faith. What meant to be will be.

When you apply your Western logic and driving skills, you end up in an accident.

Once you start to behave like locals, all problems go away.

Thats the only way to accept it if you live here.

I most certainly prefer to drive myself, than put my life into someone else's hand.

Saying that, if i need to go into unfamiliar to be territory, i prefer to use a taxi, to avoid possible troubles.

So no "locals" have accidents because they have faith ?

Funniest comment this week so far :)

So a basic English understanding would be useful at times .

Faith and locals driving was not in the same sentence, nor did my comment about faith had anything to do with locals.

Do try to comprehend, if unable ask to explain instead of making smartass comments yet embarrassing yourself.

You said " when you apply Western logic and driving skills, you end up in an accident"

You then said "once you start to behave like locals, all problems go away"

My Western style defensive driving has kept me accident free so far in 12 years. On the contrary, in my small village, at least 1 "local" gets themselves killed on the road each month..

Funniest comment all week still :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's my list of recommendations to reduce the risk of accidents significantly:

- don't use motorcy or bicycles here

- don't travel by bus or van

- drive yourself

- for long distance, use budget airlines. tickets are so cheap.

- in Bangkok I use taxis, never had a problem

- don't drink and drive

Otherwise for once I'm in agreement with konying's point. don't overly worry about it. By the way if you travel Asia a bit, you will see many other countries with crazy traffic and also some real aggressive driving behaviours.

Thats a big statement to say "Dont use bus or van" but go on to say drive yourself.wow

I have spent over 12 years here, done countless trips and never had a problem with bus or vans. You have to be very unlucky to be in a bus accident, even more unlucky to be seriously hurt in one.

On the other hand you run the gauntlet every time you drive, and, unlike being a bus passenger, you will probably always be at fault and have to pay since you are the rich farang.

You only have to have one accident here to bring you to ruin.

If i had been driving the whole time i was here, id doubt id be able to say ive had absolutely no road problems in Thailand.

Money saved, stress saved and definately health.

no way, you guys can have your cars to yourself!

Driving in Thailand is challenging but you have to adapt. Expect the unexpected at all times, Be ready to flash lights to warn others you are coming. Use horn to warn people. Most Thais wont notice as it is compulsory to be on the mobile phone while driving or under the influence of drink & drugs, The most annoying are the aggressive mini bus drivers followed by kids on motorbikes racing.

Just remember only drive with class 1 insurance and in the case of accident don't get involved with them no matter who's fault it is, Just tell them insurance guy is on his way and take pics or save files on dash cam.

Edited by TommyUK1960

You said " when you apply Western logic and driving skills, you end up in an accident"

You then said "once you start to behave like locals, all problems go away"

My Western style defensive driving has kept me accident free so far in 12 years. On the contrary, in my small village, at least 1 "local" gets themselves killed on the road each month..

Funniest comment all week still :)

In your village ? Try living in civilised area's and once again develop basic English skills, but if you still struggling , happy to explain for you.

Now more to the point, if for 1 minute accepting the feces out of your mouth, that would mean your village is emty as according to you at least 1 dies each month, so after 12 years you will be one lonely troll living among abandoned houses .

Is that correct ? Or you like to feed more bs?

Edited by konying

I drive a lot and just don't notice it any more.

I just assume that what I would have seen maybe once a year back home is about to happen right now, this instant, just drove 700 Km to Chonburi and on to Trat and experienced it as a pleasant trip. I did see a big truck on its roof this morning but I assume that the poor guy hadn't been allowed to sleep for a day or two.

Minibuses stem from the pits of hell and are to be avoided, whether as a passenger or road user. They use ya ba to get them through the week.

Motorbike accidents represent the majority of traffic fatalities here.

People of my age were sitting in cars with their grandparents and parents; these guys were driving buffalo or were in boats a generation ago.

I have yet to see a road safety spot on TV.

Haha... You are funny smile.png I'm going to follow your posts from now on, just for entertainment...

So you didn't say any of those things I quoted ?

What basic English skills do I need to develop BTW ?

I have no doubt you are a troll and you have proven it, but will explain it like to a 2 year old or mentally challenged.

Faith, refers to ones destiny, if one suppose to be killed, one will be, if one suppose to live a long life, one would.

Drive like locals and no more worry, refers to understanding how locals behave and what rules or traits they follow and one would not have to stress over every single turn.

Life must be pretty boring in abandoned village, as all the locals should be dead by now according to you? so trolling is the best you can come up with?or beer running low, Cooked should have enough supply for the both of youthumbsup.gif

Edited by konying

I drive a lot and just don't notice it any more.

I just assume that what I would have seen maybe once a year back home is about to happen right now, this instant, just drove 700 Km to Chonburi and on to Trat and experienced it as a pleasant trip. I did see a big truck on its roof this morning but I assume that the poor guy hadn't been allowed to sleep for a day or two.

Minibuses stem from the pits of hell and are to be avoided, whether as a passenger or road user. They use ya ba to get them through the week.

Motorbike accidents represent the majority of traffic fatalities here.

People of my age were sitting in cars with their grandparents and parents; these guys were driving buffalo or were in boats a generation ago.

I have yet to see a road safety spot on TV.

there is some great road and great scenery to exeperience across thailand - especially between BKK and CM but those turned over trucks are better than 7/11 coffee for a shot of wake up! I usually see them on their side in the drainage ditch between lanes.

I rather enjoy driving here...I join in with the locals and basically do anything I want. Driving an suv I'm pretty much immune from pesky motorcycle drivers and it's nice not having to worry about a copper behind every bush waiting to jump out and give me a $500 dollar ticket for running a red-light.

It would be interesting if any ''Thai'' readers, would enlighten us with there views ???

You're assuming they have the power of conscious thought.

I think the drivers we are talking about would not even be looking at this forum. Some of the thoughtful ones might be though....

I think the majority of drivers are just fine.. Except for that few reckless drivers, the roads are pretty okay if not for motorcyclist.

Thai Motorcyclist often do not do the following:

• Wear Helmet
  • Turn on their headlight
  • Change their rear light when it's faulty
  • Signal when changing lane
  • Checking blind spot when turning
Like what I've encountered, driving at night at my soi can be scary at time due to the low lighting conditions as well as the fact that some motorcycle don't even have a working rear light and wearing a dark clothes. How am I supposed to see them!

Car driver on the other hand tend to drive rather carefully most of the time since they would want to avoid an accident.. An accident means time wasted having to leave your car at the workshop.

With reference to the "rear light faulty" I read that some superstitious Thais actually remove their rear bulbs to prevent ghosts from following them home at night. It actually works, I too have removed my rear bulbs and to the best of my knowledge have yet to be followed home by ghosts.

What explanation do you have for the prick I found the other night ?

His rear light was white and his indicators red, which flashed when braking and flashed when turning. In the distance I could see this single headlight approaching slower than it should have been with these intermittent flashing red lights.

Has being scared and worrying helped the situation at all? Does it make you feel better to make lists and fixate on all the things you don’t like? Maybe talking about your fears will help but I suspect it will just get you more upset.

I prefer to drive myself and quite enjoy driving in my part of the country but I guess that is not an option for you.

Thanks for the polite reply, I think I just needed to speak up about my opinion on the driving here because I was starting to feel like the only one who didn't like it. I see your point your making and no being scared and worried is not going to help and I usually am a laid back guy. I have found though that by being scared and worried when I'm on public transport I've started to say to myself things like 'I am never getting this coach to Chang Mai again' because of that horrible experience being scared and worried and there is nothing you can do about it. I'm lucky in that I should now only have to travel to Laos for a visa run long distance and the odd taxi here and there.

I am not sure what so many expect from drivers where actual driving lessons where in the open field driving around for an hour , 10 days and then get the license,

Most of the drivers do not have any experience on the road and were never taught in traffic.

Theory video and test is forgotten the moment they walk out with the license,

One of the tests is a perception depth test, yet on the road, they cannot turn or pass even though a tank can get through with no problems.

How do you expect them to reverse park, when they were never taught how to reverse park or even do a uturn.

Good reason to worry. People are killed every single week by uneducated, untrained drivers in a hurry.

Year 12 student from my daughter's school killed in a Motorbike "accident" at the weekend.

Same thing happened to another student about this time last year. NO WAY I will allow my teenager on a Motorbike in this country.

Good reason to worry. People are killed every single week by uneducated, untrained drivers in a hurry.

Year 12 student from my daughter's school killed in a Motorbike "accident" at the weekend.

Same thing happened to another student about this time last year. NO WAY I will allow my teenager on a Motorbike in this country.

Not just the drivers fault.

When I worked at a mathayom school, at least a couple of times per term the kids would cancel a class as they were so upset / had to go to the temple to see their dead school/local friend.

Yet, when driving home kids would pull out in front of the car - underage, no helmets, 3-up, no care or attention -the loss of life made no difference to their behavior. To be fair to the school they enforced a rule if you wanted to park in school you needed a license which you exchanged for parking permit and a crash helmet. The surrounding streets were jammed up with scooters tho'

here's my list of recommendations to reduce the risk of accidents significantly:

- don't use motorcy or bicycles here

- don't travel by bus or van

- drive yourself

- for long distance, use budget airlines. tickets are so cheap.

- in Bangkok I use taxis, never had a problem

- don't drink and drive

Otherwise for once I'm in agreement with konying's point. don't overly worry about it. By the way if you travel Asia a bit, you will see many other countries with crazy traffic and also some real aggressive driving behaviours.

Thats a big statement to say "Dont use bus or van" but go on to say drive yourself.wow

I have spent over 12 years here, done countless trips and never had a problem with bus or vans. You have to be very unlucky to be in a bus accident, even more unlucky to be seriously hurt in one.

On the other hand you run the gauntlet every time you drive, and, unlike being a bus passenger, you will probably always be at fault and have to pay since you are the rich farang.

You only have to have one accident here to bring you to ruin.

If i had been driving the whole time i was here, id doubt id be able to say ive had absolutely no road problems in Thailand.

Money saved, stress saved and definately health.

no way, you guys can have your cars to yourself!

I think your point about financial compensation in case of accident is a valid one. I think if you have an accident in a bus or van, you won't have to pay anything but not sure if they pay for you if you need medical assistance! As for my car, I have 1st class insurance, hopefully that will cover most of it, should I ever get into an accident. As for safety of busses, I definitely don't think they are very safe, many drive in aggressive manner and don't maintain their vehicles very well. Plenty of news nearly on a weekly basis about some bus having crashed somewhere.

My recommendation for long distance travel in Thailand is to use domestic airlines and not busses or vans. Short trips or where no air travel available, drive yourself. But just my opinion. Feel free to continue using busses and vans if you like them.

Talking to a Thai friend who lived in the UK for over 20 years about driving. One of the things she said was that Thais don't use their indicators when changing lanes because they don't want you to know what they're doing so they can't block you. Sounds incredible to a "normal" driver but if you observe you'll see it's true

Your OP shows that you are well aware of the dangers involved driving here. It took me a year to finally get into the Thai driving groove. I'm not shocked as much now. Just don't speed, check your six, swivel your head, and try to always leave yourself an out. I'm retired here so I've go all the time in the world to get where I want to be.

Edited by Tonawatchee

every time you drive you have to be aware that thais do not look in their mirror to see whats happening behind them, they do not give way, they do not use indicators, red lights and stop signs just mean go faster, they believe if they pull over to your side of the road to overtake or to avoid a puddle of water you have to pull off the road or stop for them, that they can turn left across the front of you car while you are moving forwards and that you will stop and let them do it, that overtaking on blind corners with double lines is ok and that anyone coming on the other side will drive into the trees so they dont crash,they can simply pull out from a corner or the kerb without looking to see if there is a car coming, that they have the right to do whatever they want and everyone else has to let them, that having a bigger/more expensive vehicle means they have the right of way, motor bikes have right of way all the time, they can stop in the middle of the lane to go into a shop or talk to their friends, they think flashing their headlights at you means you have to get off the road for them so they dont have to slow down, that everytime they drive they have to beat everyone else to the place they are going to show that they have a bigger dick and that none of them even have a clue as to who goes first at a cross road intersection. Maybe if they actually had to learn to drive on the streets and also to get a licence they would improve, understanding the road rules as well and having a licence would also help, then of course if all the riders/drivers were old enough to even have a licence wouldnt go astray either

What he said.

I know that some people like to assimilate and start to drive like many of the locals, I personally do not do this, tailgating for example, is dangerous and if you are willing to put your life and that of your family in danger just to assimilate, then be my guest, I will not endanger my family just to fit in.

I know we cannot change the way that many of them drive, but that does not make it ok, their sheer stupidity and inability to control a vehicle in a safe manner is reflected in the road death toll. Fact is, they must be happy with the way it is, or they would change it.

The true character of people is shown when they get behind the wheel of a car, and all the fake deference and niceties go out of the window. Basically Thais are culturally oppressed and are not allowed to express their true feelings, I think this shows once they become anonymous behind the wheel of a car with blacked out windows.

Many of the issues on roads are simply down to a lack of consideration for anyone else, the reality is that many people lack empathy and don't care a damn if they endanger other peoples lives or inconvenience them by blocking 50% of the road to buy noodles because they couldn't be arsed to park 5 metres up the road and walk.

The poor/dangerous driving is definitely one of the downsides of living in Thailand.

I have never had a problem in 30 years here in Thailand. I do however remember my defensive driving courses I took in the Middle East and now I just expect people to do crazy things. Maybe that is the reason I have, touch wood, not had a problem.

how sad, but ''Thais'' thinking is ''It was her Time'', ????....

good old religion eh.....

It definitely is challenging here - never being quite sure what other drivers will do takes the relaxation out of it - I drive slower than I might back home - I pay more attention - I take more breaks - it is stressful...

The first couple of years, when meeting with friends, the first words were always, "you'll never believe…" but we don't do that anymore - have to let it go, drive a bigger car than before, actually small SUV - and try not to let it get to me. Where I live, there is not that much traffic which surely does not stop them from being unpredictable. I just hope I don't end up with a moto-cyyy tangled in my wheels that i never saw…

Yes, driving here is pretty much the worst place ever to drive. You can't drive like you would in the west. In the west, drivers are generally predictable, totally opposite here. Here you need to expect the unexpected and assume everybody will quickly cut you off. You need to assume nobody has any skills or any ability to follow road rules or signs. The worst are the motorbike drivers who stay on the shoulder going 30 kph while cars are in the main land going 50 kph. That's fine, until there is a parked car, storm drain, pot hole, etc and the bike swerves out in front of the car which is twice its size and twice its speed without any advance warning and without any indicator that they arrive switching to your lane. In my experience, that's how most accidents here seem to happen. It's a combination of first time farang drivers who have never driven a motorbike, and they've often been drinking, or Thais who simply don't care as they think their death has already been predetermined, and none of the motorbikes being registered, insured or their drivers having licenses. Here licenses and registration and insurance arrive all optional, as are helmets, which makes all the accidents 10x worse because everyone hits their heads too hard and often dies. If the police actually enforced a few road rules rather than just picking up the pieces and files reports after accidents, and there were some requirements that people actually have experience and/or licenses and also registration and insurance on their vehicles, I think taht would go a long way. Even if this is just threshold thinking in the west, it's wishful thinking here. So until something changes, drive slowly, carefully and defensively in a tank or large car to make sure you don't die when the motorbikes inevitably slam into you and have great insurance!

Never had a problem was trained by the best in defensive driving forget the 2 second rule about the vehicle in front min 4 seconds if someone overtakes and cuts in just foot of accelerator till you have the 4 seconds back and no you don't lose time just get to your destination safe and sound. Don't get wound up if someone tail gates you or speed up or slow down (as most do) just drive normal they will either overtake or drop back. Don't be intimidated by a coach or lorry driver again just concentrate on your driving don't panic or get stresses. I have used these principles all over the world and it works touch wood never had an accident of any sort blameworthy or non blame worthy. Also remember large vehicles have a greater field of view than a car/pick up can see a lot further up road so what you may feel is dangerous is probably perfectly safe it all about your perception