Rant about driving in Thailand

yacobm8

I think the majority of drivers are just fine.. Except for that few reckless drivers, the roads are pretty okay if not for motorcyclist.

Thai Motorcyclist often do not do the following:

• Wear Helmet
  • Turn on their headlight
  • Change their rear light when it's faulty
  • Signal when changing lane
  • Checking blind spot when turning
Like what I've encountered, driving at night at my soi can be scary at time due to the low lighting conditions as well as the fact that some motorcycle don't even have a working rear light and wearing a dark clothes. How am I supposed to see them!

Car driver on the other hand tend to drive rather carefully most of the time since they would want to avoid an accident.. An accident means time wasted having to leave your car at the workshop.

With reference to the "rear light faulty" I read that some superstitious Thais actually remove their rear bulbs to prevent ghosts from following them home at night. It actually works, I too have removed my rear bulbs and to the best of my knowledge have yet to be followed home by ghosts.

Well done. Sir, that's a classic.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Chiang Mai from US last February. Considered bike vs. car. Got advice. Even though I'm 60, wear bifocals and had never driven a bike; went for that as fist option.

1. An older, old time resident of Thailand told me: "you will have an accident, be ready"
  2. A Thai friend told me not to drive it after 10 at night: "Everyone else driving is drunk"

Sold the bike and bought a car.

I've noticed that there generally seem to be two types of car drivers in CM. Very fast and aggressive and very slow and ultra cautious.

I don't, under any circumstance, drive if I know I will drink. My limit is two drinks a day. I use one tuk tuk driver, if I'm not driving myself. I trust his skills.

I agree, Van drivers are the worst.

Heading back to Pattaya on Highway 3 on Sunday, I passed a couple of motorbikes. The rider of the second one had his right foot resting on the rear mudguard of the other bike! I have it on camera somewhere.

Then last year, I was driving to Koh Chang when I became aware of an idiot minivan driver behind me. At the time, I was in a long line of vehicles overtaking other vehicles. As soon as it was safe to do so. I indicated to pull into the inside lane as I didn't want that ****hole behind me any longer than necessary. It was just as well that I checked my side mirror before making the move as he I saw him about to overtake me on the inside. He quickly pulled back in behind me and I was able to let him overtake safely.

Alan

@yacobm8: with your 21 years, you still have plenty of time to learn, to imitate, to suffer, to complain about anybody else's way of driving...why don't you take it easy = take control and drive yourself? you'd feel so much better then

I have driven in Malta and Italy, it's the same as here, they seem to remove a brain cell when they get behind the wheel of a car, believe the UK is getting just as bad.

I have been in mini buses here loads of times, visa runs, pleasure etc some of the drivers were good others were on a death wish. Taxi drivers have all been ok, driving with the g/f relations, they are all careful and keep their distance.

I would never drive here scooter or car, I am even reluctant to use a Scooter Taxi, Shanks Pony for me or Baht Bus.

You said " when you apply Western logic and driving skills, you end up in an accident"

You then said "once you start to behave like locals, all problems go away"

My Western style defensive driving has kept me accident free so far in 12 years. On the contrary, in my small village, at least 1 "local" gets themselves killed on the road each month..

Funniest comment all week still smile.png

In your village ? Try living in civilised area's and once again develop basic English skills, but if you still struggling , happy to explain for you.

Now more to the point, if for 1 minute accepting the feces out of your mouth, that would mean your village is emty as according to you at least 1 dies each month, so after 12 years you will be one lonely troll living among abandoned houses .

Is that correct ? Or you like to feed more bs?

Re Basic english skills: Such as spelling?: "feces" (oh, sorry, you must be an American) "emty". Or is that just keyboard rage getting it's grip on you?

And you do seem to say that if you drive like the Thai you will be OK. But isn't it their driving habits, perpetrated upon each other, that is doing all the killing?

You may have survived thus far but, like the cigarette smoker who hasn't yet got lung cancer, is doesn't mean that your strategy is the best one.

Drive like the Thai, die like the Thai?

Edited by Enoon

Hi OP

You mentioned in one of your posts about 'Being 21 and starting to make money online'

It's time to come clean - are you being paid to start 'click-bait' topics with lots of page views/responses? So far you're pressing all the right 'hot buttons' for our grumpy TVF denizens...with i) how to live super-cheap in LOS and ii) driving in Thailand

Here are some other suggestions for 'hot topics'

- What is the spray thingie for next to the toilet?

- Why do pens in Thailand always stop working after you've bought them?

- Help - my shoes have disintegrated!

- Why are the ants eating my underpants?

- Speaking of pants, where can I buy some in LOS that don't give me torsion of the testes?

- Why do they put used skiddy toilet paper in the bin next to the toilet?

- Why is there always a woman in the toilet mopping round my feet when I'm trying take a wizz?

- Why can't I walk on the pavements in BKK?

- My girlfriend is a hi-so because....

- Should I buy or rent a property in Thailand

- etc.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus

Anyone noticed that many drivers here won't wind down their window at a toll booth and open the entire door instead? Or won't keep their wipers on in the rain and instead opt for switching on the wipers once every so often because it's got to the point where they can't see out of the windscreen? I guess driving without headlights at night might also fit into this silly behaviour.... What are they trying to do, save electricity?

»p.s I see Thailand is No 4 for total deaths per 100,000 people due to car accidents according to wikipedia.«

Data must be out of up-date, as Thailand has been No, 2 for some years:
Death rate per 100,000 population from road crashes:
1. Namibia 45
2. Thailand 44
3. Iran 38
–However this year they suddenly improved a lot and jumped down to No. 3:
1. Libya 48.4
2. Irag 40.5
3. Thailand 38.1
(Source: National News Bureau of Thailand 9th September 2015, statistics by WHO.)

Hi OP
You mentioned in one of your posts about 'Being 21 and starting to make money online'
It's time to come clean - are you being paid to start 'click-bait' topics with lots of page views/responses? So far you're pressing all the right 'hot buttons' for our grumpy TVF denizens...with i) how to live super-cheap in LOS and ii) driving in Thailand
- Speaking of pants, where can I buy some in LOS that don't give me torsion of the testes?
- Why is there always a woman in the toilet mopping round my feet when I'm trying take a wizz?
- etc.

It's a public forum. The OP has just as much rights as you and I to post.

Nobody forces you to read and reply.

Create your own topics if you don't like others.

Here are some answers to your 'hot topics'.
It's called a shower.
Because you never use them.
Stop buying cheap ones.
Because you never use the spray thing next to the toilet.
Stop pretending your still in size 'S'.
Because it saves picking it up from the floor.
Because you always miss the urinal.
Because those cheap shoes will disintegrate
She always empties the bin next to the toilet.
Depends on the size of your ATM card.

It's a public forum. The OP has just as much rights as you and I to post.

Nobody forces you to read and reply.

I was going to say - get off your high horse, it's just a bit of fun to lighten an otherwise dark topic. But your responses made me laugh, so I'll let you off.
(I'm with the OP on this BTW - every day on the roads in Thailand feels like an instalment of 'Final Destination').
For the record - here are some of my responses as an FYI
-Ants
You need to communicate with their 'hive mind' and let them know they cannot win
- Pants, how to get a decent size?
Robinson stock 'Rosso' brand in size XXXL - they are Y-fronts unfortunately, but are acceptable in the size dept (and I'm not bragging believe me)
- Pens?
Tesco Lotus have an 'Artline' brand draughtsman's pen, works a treat and keeps on working
- Disintegrating Shoes?
- Sorry, don't know. If you can solve the mystery, a Nobel prize may await

»p.s I see Thailand is No 4 for total deaths per 100,000 people due to car accidents according to wikipedia.«

1. Namibia 45

2. Thailand 44

3. Iran 38

However this year they suddenly improved a lot and jumped down to No. 3:

1. Libya 48.4

2. Irag 40.5

3. Thailand 38.1

(Source: National News Bureau of Thailand 9th September 2015, statistics by WHO.)

Up to number one next week pop pickers, not arf.

1. Namibia 45

2. Thailand 44

3. Iran 38

However this year they suddenly improved a lot and jumped down to No. 3:

1. Libya 48.4

2. Irag 40.5

3. Thailand 38.1

Up to number one next week pop pickers, not arf.
Isn't it the case that Thai RTA fatality stats are only counted where there is a death at the scene? Wonder how many people croak either after they've been carted off to hospital or en-route in the super-duper 'protectung' picks-up that scoop up the injured - must be a fair few?
What gets me about driving in LOS is that you have to drive with a very large 'situational awareness' bubble around you - much bigger than in the West. I Imagine it's closer to how jet fighter pilots need to operate.
Yes you have to look out for people cutting in to your lane etc., but to survive long term, you need to be thinking about 2-3 seconds from now, what is the car/motorcycle/pedestrian in front or behind me going to do?
E.g. will they swerve to avoid a pothole, gun through a red light on their side, make an emergency stop at the somtam stall just ahead? etc. There will be no pre-planning on their part, so you always have to be ready.

I think the majority of drivers are just fine.. Except for that few reckless drivers, the roads are pretty okay if not for motorcyclist.

• Wear Helmet
Like what I've encountered, driving at night at my soi can be scary at time due to the low lighting conditions as well as the fact that some motorcycle don't even have a working rear light and wearing a dark clothes. How am I supposed to see them!

Car driver on the other hand tend to drive rather carefully most of the time since they would want to avoid an accident.. An accident means time wasted having to leave your car at the workshop.

With reference to the "rear light faulty" I read that some superstitious Thais actually remove their rear bulbs to prevent ghosts from following them home at night. It actually works, I too have removed my rear bulbs and to the best of my knowledge have yet to be followed home by ghosts.
What explanation do you have for the prick I found the other night ?

His rear light was white and his indicators red, which flashed when braking and flashed when turning. In the distance I could see this single headlight approaching slower than it should have been with these intermittent flashing red lights.

I came across a motorcycle with the same set up near Nong Khai, driving at night here is something I only do when absolutely necessary, as it is so difficult to work out what is happening ahead of you. On the plus side, locals seem to have stopped walking their cows and elephants on the road after dark.

• Wear Helmet

What explanation do you have for the prick I found the other night ?

His rear light was white and his indicators red, which flashed when braking and flashed when turning. In the distance I could see this single headlight approaching slower than it should have been with these intermittent flashing red lights.

I came across a motorcycle with the same set up near Nong Khai, driving at night here is something I only do when absolutely necessary, as it is so difficult to work out what is happening ahead of you. On the plus side, locals seem to have stopped walking their cows and elephants on the road after dark.

It's ok to walk your elephant at night on a busy road as long as you attatch a CD to its tail.

Indeed, some are driving like nuts. But I also have to protect some others. I would blame it on the government and the ridiculous driving lessons licence test. How can you expect from someone driving a car properly who does this test containing of moving a car on slow speed at a parking lot... Jesus...

The solution is simple, if you feel threatened driving on the roads in Thailand then don't drive. Be inconvenient probably but I am sure you knew that when you first came to Thailand.

Most people need to be able to get around in order to live their lives - it's taken pretty much as a given of modern life to drive a car. You need one for taking the kids to school, going shopping, plus for emergencies/unforeseen circumstances etc.
Having said that, I certainly try and limit my 'road time' as much as possible.
Relying on other sources of transport just isn't viable for a lot of folks - maybe in BKK where there's plenty of options 24/7, but upcountry, not so easy.
I just wonder why nothing is done about it systematically at a legislative level (which is the only way it's going to improve) since the status quo causes so much pain and suffering all over Thailand.

Hi OP
- etc.

No haha I'm not getting paid for it. I didn't know they were popular topics as it was my first 2 posts on this forum. I wish I got payed for it though!

systematically at a legislative level (which is the only way it's going to improve) since the status quo causes so much pain and suffering all over Thailand.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus,

Legislation clearly does nothing to stop deaths on the roads look at the UK for instance any more rules and can't do this and that they have a two year rule for new drivers 6 points and you have to re sit test in car. Seat belts compulsory no mobile phone use at all whilst driving and no Bluetooth use for Lgv and PCV drivers and yet there are road accidents and deaths on the road every single day no figures but lots and that's in a so called big 6 country. I personally over the years must have nicked thousands of people who had no licence or no insurance or no mot I won't mention the low life drink and drug drivers. But it did not does not stop accidents.

No haha I'm not getting paid for it. I didn't know they were popular topics as it was my first 2 posts on this forum. I wish I got payed for it though!

Only joking of course OP - you've definitely picked a couple of cracking topics to dip your toes in the pool with.
Note to self: write email to TVF Admins with my new business idea about how to drive traffic to site.

systematically at a legislative level (which is the only way it's going to improve) since the status quo causes so much pain and suffering all over Thailand.

Edited by GlutinousMaximus,

Legislation clearly does nothing to stop deaths on the roads look at the UK for instance any more rules and can't do this and that they have a two year rule for new drivers 6 points and you have to re sit test in car. Seat belts compulsory no mobile phone use at all whilst driving and no Bluetooth use for Lgv and PCV drivers and yet there are road accidents and deaths on the road every single day no figures but lots and that's in a so called big 6 country. I personally over the years must have nicked thousands of people who had no licence or no insurance or no mot I won't mention the low life drink and drug drivers. But it did not does not stop accidents.

Agreed - it doesn't stop RTAs/fatalities, but it helps to reduce them considerably surely - the stats bear this out don't they?

According to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

UK is at 3.5 fatalities per 100K, Thailand is at 38.1

You mentioned nicking people - were/are you a rozzer? I used to think traffic policing in the UK was a bit heavy-handed, but now seeing what happens when you have no such enforcement, I'm actually all for it as it saves lives and forces people to toe the line while they're in charge of vehicles.

I agree regarding public transport but I have driven thousands of km in Thailand and love it. Down south, great road, very little traffic, same up north. Once out of the major cities driving is a real pleasure.

But then again, I have driven in Pakistan and India and these countries are worse than Thailand.

I'm from UK and there is an EEC edict that says to pass a driving test you have to pass a theory test (and some people have to take multiple times) at around £50 a pop and then you have to have a standard of driving that enables you to pass the test (and some people have to take multiple times) as set by the government. That means to say you could be the best driver in the world but if you do not follow the test rules as applied by the Driving Examiner during the test you will fail. So in Europe in general by the time you actually pass your test you at least have a good appreciation of the rules of the road as well as road etiquette before you go out all on your lonesome. In LoS the complete opposite applies. There is a driving test but it is so basic that basically if you can open the car door, switch the engine on and move the car in first gear your all but good to go.

I've driven for several years on and off now in LoS with exception of Bangkok as I prefer using Skytrain etc..... that said unless it's 4 in the morning you rarely can go over 20mph in centre of town due to the traffic and traffic light phasing. Several of posters have hit the proverbial nail on the head....make use of your own experience and knowledge about safe driving it does give you the advantage but also understand that you have to think and behave like a local driver. If you are on a main road and see someone wanting to come onto the main road from a side road don't let them.... drive on by.... If you stopped to let them pass they would think you are absolutely crackers and they would be right.... the coaches and lorries flying down the middle of the lane at night overtaking, lights blaring, normal stuff over there, so now that you know it use that knowledge. Embrace it rather than fret about it. Knowledge is power.... the knowledge and knowhow you have from your driving experiences in the western world and what you learn about the way they do it in LoS will stand you in good stead because you have the advantage of understanding, whilst the majority of local drivers have no idea.

Keep cool dude....

The solution is simple, if you feel threatened driving on the roads in Thailand then don't drive. Be inconvenient probably but I am sure you knew that when you first came to Thailand.

Most people need to be able to get around in order to live their lives - it's taken pretty much as a given of modern life to drive a car. You need one for taking the kids to school, going shopping, plus for emergencies/unforeseen circumstances etc.
Having said that, I certainly try and limit my 'road time' as much as possible.
Relying on other sources of transport just isn't viable for a lot of folks - maybe in BKK where there's plenty of options 24/7, but upcountry, not so easy.
I just wonder why nothing is done about it systematically at a legislative level (which is the only way it's going to improve) since the status quo causes so much pain and suffering all over Thailand.

Totally agree with you I was just stirring it a little. Like most places you need to drive no matter what the vehicle is. Legislation wont alter anything. There are currently laws for just about everything but the thing is they are not enforced. It like a red number plate on a vehicle prohibits the use of the vehicle after dark. Does anyone really think if someone in the family had a problem and had to get to a hospital they would call a taxi as the car number was a red plate? Maybe some people would but I certainly wouldnt.

Strangely enough I find driving, even in Thailand, to be relaxing. There again I have driven is some of the worst places on earth in which to drive. Places like Saudi Arabia, far worse tan Thailand even on a bad day.

Edited by gandalf12