How my bills in Thailand are ฿8000 baht a month or about (£150, $230)

yacobm8

Actually I'm in Laos at the moment doing a visa run

And some people say that Thailand is shooting itself in the foot by being less welcoming to those who do serial visa exempt entries or repeated visa runs. Baht 8000 a month! Surely losing that would send the economy reeling.

Edited by Suradit69

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all live in Thailand for different reasons. Some can live like you as that's the way they lived in their home country. Personally, I have always lived an upscale life as I continue to do here in Thailand. My expenses are rarely under B100,000 a month.

I live cheaply in Thailand because I live with my Thai gf, we have a motorbike and we live in a 1 bedroom studio type apartment.

Breakdown of my spending every month,

Apartment rent - 1250 baht (Air con room with fan aswell. Balcony and shower room, 1st floor in appartment, away from city center in Ubon Rachathani but set off a main road near to a university where my gf is studying. Peacefull, no trouble with neighbors thus far (4 months living so far in Thailand) I've attached the only photo i could find off our room to this post

Electric - 800 baht ( I pay more then my gf because I spend the majority of my time on my desktop computer)

water - 75 baht

internet - 75 baht (shared apartment internet so cheap, I get 30mb down and 3mb up, no complaints)

Food - 4500 baht

phone Credit - 400 baht (I don't use my phone much, only for internet if we go out to eat or travel)

travel to gf's family and taxi's - 850 baht

petrol - 50 baht (Petrol is so cheap here and we only use motorbike to go to local food market )

Total - 8000 baht

Note that these are my bills for living and not all my spending, If I were to include things like visa travel and general spending on random things like a new laptop battery etc then it would be higher. Actually I'm in Laos at the moment doing a visa run and the whole process from start to me getting home will cost me about ฿8000 which includes travel, hotel, Laos and Thai visa's and food for the journey(food is not cheap here by the Laos Thai consulate).

Just thought I'd share my experience with cost of living as I don't see many posts as cheap as mine on the internet but I do see a lot of people posting about living on a lot more.

so no medical insurance. next post could be : i have had a motorbike accident and can't pay my hospital bill

My cost of living in Pattaya (budget 60.000/month)

Studio room rent 33 sq. m. in hotel with 2 cleanings a week - 8000 baht (Air con room with fan aswell. Balcony and shower room,3rd floor, city center in Soi buakow)

Electric - 1500 baht

water - 100 baht

internet and phone Credit - 800 baht

Transport when drunk - 200/month (bahttaxi)

petrol - 400 baht

Food - 15.000

Total - 26.000 baht

Long and shorttimes + beer = 34.000/month

Edited by kaneko86

Good post, yacobm8. Disregard the crap like the post below. There's a lot of people who benefit from tips and accounts on how to live cheap in Thailand. And there are always a few disbelievers that post negative because they could not do it themselves or can't manage their finances. I've managed on a tight budget in Thailand before and it's certainly possible to do, especially with some local help. Cheers.

Good on you OP, I respect farangs who come here and live a (financial) Thai style. It also shows your girlfriend is with you and not your wallet.

For the things you listed I would come around 15.000baht per month here in Pattaya (room70sqm,electric,water total about 6000baht), but I do eat and shop farang products regular.

On top of the 15.000 I add another 10.000baht for alcohol and smokes.

I don't really keep track of all I spend, but monthly between 25.000-30.000 (incl. 3 cats), I could half that if need.

Good luck with your Thai life/adventure and remember happiness is NOT in money and luxury.

Edited by ronthai

I get sick of living with these thai girls, 3 days is enough for me as they want to watch thai tv or thai music on youtube - has anyone seen this pile of utter <deleted>? I had to sit through it the other night - thank goodness I am on my own again and no more thai stuff on the tv / her tablet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoFNUxnPQXE

I can beat that.

I live in my GF townhouse and pay 0 baht for rent, zero baht for electricity and zero baht for internet (I use everything extensively).

She even bought me a new mattress top the other day because I was complaining about the back pain.

She also does the cleaning for free and won't even let me wash the laundry because "I don't know how".

As for my monthly breakdown, I am not sure. It varies because it sucks living on a strict budget. One month it's more the other it's less.

Are you Canary Sun with a different User Name?

A big difference is if you have a gf or wife that contributes financially to the household or one that is totally dependent on you and expects you to take care of her family too. This makes a huge difference, but often not feasible for the older guys here as they want a young gf and she wants something in return for being with a much older guy, usually that means taking care of her and her family.

Not so strange actually and also understandable from the guys POV by paying he gets a prettier girl as he normally could get.

Not an attack or flame, i guess if I had too I would pay for it too. If i were real old 60 or so id prefer a girl around 30 or so and it would cost me.

A very true post.

So why do you live here? Another foreign criminal on the run?

I get sick of living with these thai girls, 3 days is enough for me as they want to watch thai tv or thai music on youtube - has anyone seen this pile of utter <deleted>? I had to sit through it the other night - thank goodness I am on my own again and no more thai stuff on the tv / her tablet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoFNUxnPQXE

if a Thai couple can live well. Why can,t foreigners ? Answer: Non stop booze and bar girls.

Interesting.

Now I understand how so many Thai couples working together, making 5000THB a month each, can live decently. In some Western countries, to have the same living, will need to spend at least 10 times more. In many countries, just the AC is a luxury.