Hope dies last...

swissie

With a friend in Phuket a couple of months ago, he pulled over the car to a local bar. He's much more outgoing than I, and I was in the passenger seat cringing while he was talking quite comfortably to one of the girls who walked over. He asked "how much for 1 night?", she said 3000 baht. He said so 2000 baht?, she said Yes, so for 2 nights 3000 baht, she said yes. Left me perplexed. It's quiet down there, but less so that up here in Isaan. It was just a test of course to gauge the area, and I wouldn't take one of these girls, but it gives you an idea of price jacking due to lack of business, and lack of mathematical skills or negotiation tactics. I think some would settle for a decent meal in their belly if you're not completely obnoxious.

I did get a massage with no happy ending required. Cost me 1500 baht in the end. I couldn't get her to leave after the event, and have been receiving phone calls a couple of times a day ever since (even though I don't know how she got my number). She wants to come and live with me, take care and bum bum. The desperation is palpable. No way.

The desperation on who's part yours or the girls,it's questionable.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the rice paddy for them. the factories are closing too. So little chance of getting work there.

I notice barfines in Nanas Big Bars are down. Just my observation. But i think a little price adjustment would do wonders. 2500 plus the incidentals come to over $100 for a short time encounter. Lower price activity goes up- common knowledge . 2000 baht would do wonders-it would make everyone happier-methinks.

PS - those not blessed with a good face could charge 1500. For these bad faced girls its always LOW season.

Why would tourist come to Thailand and pay as much for a restaurant meal and a beer as they would at home?

Because the Issan hooker (from the OP) he takes home, after dinner and the beer, costs 1/10 the price of a western girl and is 10x more attractive (not to mention 1/2 the age and 1/2 the weight).

But now you have an increasing numbers of tourists ( farangs ) in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodscha and Myanmar. Most of this places are cheaper and easier ( Visa ) as Thailand. Thailand is down for theie politicle situation and mant restrictions and the habit of cheating / overprizing the people.

If you want to see cheating and corruption personified, yes, go to Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. I would also suggest you visit the website 2014 Corruption Perception where you will see that corruption in Thailand is far less than in your so called favoured Counties. I would suggest you do a little research before waffling on TV.whistling.gif It does you no credit, particularly when data abounds to prove how incorrect (inane) your comments are.

The rice paddys are dead and dry in many parts of the country (like here).

A terribly bad harvest ahead.

Will become worse and worse for many.

Only chance is the escape from Thailand to make money "overseas" be it legal or not.

Yes a couple of my g/f's family is thinking of heading to Korea. They borrow a 100,000 bahts to get there and get established. Her friend who works on a chicken farm there makes 40,000 bahts a month free room and board 5 year contract. Then there is the "agent" there to pay (50,000) who gets the job for you. With things turning south here there will be more pressure to go.

Can op give us a tutorial on how girl learn the business. Are they targeted the moment they are born? grade skool? high skool? What training do they go thru? I just find it hard to believe so many are not grouches on the job. Many are pleasent and seem to do the best they can.

Pure market forces in play.

The value of any product is price + quality + service.

Here, price is up, quality is down, service is down, which means that Thailand as a product, has lost value.

Well said. You forgot to mention the two level pricing system for nearly everything.

I remember on several of my trips when I would go to Pattaya and right at the start of high season I would see literally baht busses or plain old pick up trucks arriving with about one dozen "new" girls in each. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. Prices in Thailand are up, people in western countries are a bit more cautious with their money as retirement looms or job security is a bit less.

Yes you pretty well nailed it and this is only the beginning. Global economies turn much like the Titanic slowly at first and then faster. Walmart stock got hammered by a 10% haircut yesterday as their business has flatlined and next year they predict a 12% drop in business. The market seems to be going against bad earnings guess they are waiting for their Fed fix.

Why would tourist come to Thailand and pay as much for a restaurant meal and a beer as they would at home?

Because the Issan hooker (from the OP) he takes home, after dinner and the beer, costs 1/10 the price of a western girl and is 10x more attractive (not to mention 1/2 the age and 1/2 the weight).

But now you have an increasing numbers of tourists ( farangs ) in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodscha and Myanmar. Most of this places are cheaper and easier ( Visa ) as Thailand. Thailand is down for theie politicle situation and mant restrictions and the habit of cheating / overprizing the people.

A friend of mine visits Burma 4 or 5 times a year and he tells me prices including rent are through the roof. Cost double to live there compared to here.

The quieter it gets the higher the prices which leads to less business which makes it even more quieter. Its inevitable that its all going to end in tears. When you have 40m+ desperate starving people then you know it can only end in Bastille Day. Its so sad that Thailand's poor have been so let down by their political leaders for so long.

Agreed Mr Rabbit, the strange quirk in Thai mentality that thinks ...."the fewer customers, the more I charge". It's very strange and quite illogical, look in the markets! Even Thai airways suffers from the same blinkered thinking! The end result, not soon i hope, will be another July 14 episode but messier by far......som nom na!! facepalm.gifthumbsup.gifsad.pngsad.pngwai.gif

Mexican mentality is the same. Up the prices when business is bad.

sometimes some of them seek my company for a little chat. (they know, that I don't gossip around.)

And everyone aside from you assumes these ladies are supermarket cashiers. Right. Now pull the other one.

Your availability to chat (but never gossip) with all and sundry undoubtedly makes you the Mother Teresa of "rural Thailand."

(A good part of them can not read or write Thai properly).

Which bits do you consider the good part?

A lot of people do struggle with their native languages I guess.

I don't see myself as the mother Theresa of rural Thailand.smile.png I am just surrounded by Thai's that have to struggle from day to day.

Among those "little people". a consensus seems to emerge: "Thaksin wasn't any less corrupt than all his predecessors before, but at least some crumbs fell of the big Bangkok dining table in our favor." These days, the newly built roads during that time can not be maintained anymore because "little money coming from Bangkok anymore". (The crumbs have stopped falling off the big Bangkok dining table).

They also seem to have understood, that the current government is mainly interested in restoring pre-Thaksin times, where the 50 most influential Family-Clans ruled Thailand.

The "little people" may be uneducated, but not necessarily dumb.

Are we sitting on a sleeping volcano? I'd say yes. Problem is, if the volcano erupts, the Thai Police/Military will have other priorities than protecting the lives and property of some Farangs living somewhere in the sticks.

Cheers..

I agree with the crumbs falling off of the table part. 17% of the population lives in Bangkok and 70% of tax monies are allocated there.

The rice paddys are dead and dry in many parts of the country (like here).

A terribly bad harvest ahead.

Will become worse and worse for many.

Only chance is the escape from Thailand to make money "overseas" be it legal or not.

Yes a couple of my g/f's family is thinking of heading to Korea. They borrow a 100,000 bahts to get there and get established. Her friend who works on a chicken farm there makes 40,000 bahts a month free room and board 5 year contract. Then there is the "agent" there to pay (50,000) who gets the job for you. With things turning south here there will be more pressure to go.

I bet they won't be choking chickens.....not of the feathered variety anyway.

Hope they enjoy forced prostitution....5 year contract on a chicken farm...yeah...right.

Anyone got an update on the South girls returning home? I remember Samui used to have a Chumpon exodus during low season. I guess some of them have the family rubber trees to fall back on. What about the North girls? Chiang Rai, Lampang, Mae Sot?

Fact is, no matter what part of the country, it's always the same for poor, uneducated single mothers in the sex trade.

Who cares.....

s

The most succinct reply, the only reason there are so many girls is that sexual mores have changed- it is now social acceptable to abuse the low paid poor local population. No punters- no prostitutes .

It seems that a vast majority of TV members constantly rabbit on about the availability of prostitutes- they are women selling their bodies- is that good?

It will take time- but this country will wake up and close down all those ghastly beer bars ( or is it bar beers) and bring about a bit of dignity to the Thai people .

The quieter it gets the higher the prices which leads to less business which makes it even more quieter. Its inevitable that its all going to end in tears. When you have 40m+ desperate starving people then you know it can only end in Bastille Day. Its so sad that Thailand's poor have been so let down by their political leaders for so long.

And the sooner that day comes the better so those 40m+ so can then go on to build a fair country with a social consciences that France did. Not sure they need to use the guillotine though as it seems too quick an ending for those who have used and abused the poor and disadvantaged Thais for decades upon decades.

I think, some years ago, Thai Tourism wanted a shift, away from being a sex destination, away from pot bellied, muscle shirt, shorts and flip flop wearing quality farang tourist with 18 years old 1/4 his weight bar girl in arm towards well off families, who like all-inclusive in a resort, mainly coming for the climate, clear waters, service friendliness an tourist attractions.
On the other side, the shear numbers of low income Russian and Chines tourists outweight by far the farangs.
In addition, the overall economic and political situation, not to forget the aftermath of the tsunami took its toll.
And don't forget the economic situation in Southern Europe countries which drove prices lower and it's just a 3 to 4 hours flight.
To see Laos with no beaches and the tourist numbers of Thailand an alternative, is, in my opinion more than far stretched.

And the sooner that day comes the better so those 40m+ so can then go on to build a fair country with a social consciences that France did. Not sure they need to use the guillotine though as it seems too quick an ending for those who have used and abused the poor and disadvantaged Thais for decades upon decades.

Oh, I don't know. I kinda think the guillotine idea is a good one. Public, and no appeals whatsoever. Hell, I've already got my first 4 candidates lined up!

cheesy.gif

For me, i am on the verge of pooping myself as well,

here's why, i have investments in Australia, i see the

return on my investments dwindling to zero, although

i am not retired i will get there one day, there is a

rumor i'm not sure, that Aussie citizens who have

been out of the country for more than 5 years will not

get the pension, i'm concerned. In Europe, about 5

years ago i would go collect rents from my properties

and go to the bank with bags full of money, today i

have many places empty, some tenants have abandoned

the property, leaving thousands in repairs with over 6

months in unpaid rent (never to be paid) another one

hasn't paid rent in over 6 month's, won't leave and told

me he will go if i paid him €1,500.00 and yet the GST is

23% on everything and i am going broke, the properties

are on the market but people are scared of the future

so aren't buying, so the Issan girls can keep scratching

their heads in wonder, the good times are really over,

good luck with the Chinese

Who cares.....

s

The most succinct reply, the only reason there are so many girls is that sexual mores have changed- it is now social acceptable to abuse the low paid poor local population. No punters- no prostitutes .

It seems that a vast majority of TV members constantly rabbit on about the availability of prostitutes- they are women selling their bodies- is that good?

It will take time- but this country will wake up and close down all those ghastly beer bars ( or is it bar beers) and bring about a bit of dignity to the Thai people .

You a comedian?

Can op give us a tutorial on how girl learn the business. Are they targeted the moment they are born? grade skool? high skool? What training do they go thru? I just find it hard to believe so many are not grouches on the job. Many are pleasent and seem to do the best they can.

In my village, mama used to be a bar girl, now nearly 50 year old,

her 24 and 17 year old are doing the same, no shame, many in

the village are working girls, they come home when they are

pregnant, give birth, leave baby then go back.

Interesting that this thread should coincide with the announcement today that Suvarnabhumi has seen an increase in arrivals (up 13% this year to 52.4 m)

Of course that might mean a transit stop for many to somewhere else.

There is no doubt due to incompetence from the Yingluk and Junta rule that Thailand is in for a rough ride.

6 months ago my Bangkok Bank guy told me that household debt, throughout the nation, is up 45%.

That is obviously not sustainable.

Re working in Korea or other countries ,its no all about prostitution. My wifes younger brother has a 5 year contract with a Korean garment

manufacturer but its strictly a max 5 years term.He lives in a condo building full of fellow male and female Thais doing exactly

the same.He earns the equivalent of 40,000 b a month

Thailand may well be the new Philippines who have the largest number of nationals working OS as the jobs are simply not available in their own country.

With the current drought in many parts there certainly wont be another over supply of rice but Thais are reluctant to try to grow alternative crops

for niche markets.

In Chiang Mai we have the Chinese invasion of tourists which are actually damaging the previously strong European arrivals. Add in to that the moral ccrusade of closing bars early and a rule you cant sell alcohol within 300 m of a school or temple is making businesses not viable.

There are I believe 300 temples in CM province.All it does is put more Thais out of work, not only bar/restaurant workers but vendors that make a living outside them.

The Thai baht may well be over valued and need a correction.

All this doom and gloom but other reports on this Site state that Suvarnabhumi Airport is bursting at the seams trying to cope with all the new arrivals and we haven't reached the High Season yet.

They expect things to be quiet during the wet and stormy season but come Christmas Thailand will be booming and the flesh trade flourishing!

All this doom and gloom but other reports on this Site state that Suvarnabhumi Airport is bursting at the seams trying to cope with all the new arrivals and we haven't reached the High Season yet.

They expect things to be quiet during the wet and stormy season but come Christmas Thailand will be booming and the flesh trade flourishing!

Please keep in mind that TAT counts everyone who sets foot in Swampy as a "tourist", even though many of them are simply passing through to a connecting flight to somewhere else. coffee1.gif

I think just looking around in Isan it's quite obvious that things are getting bad on many levels. Even us farang don't seem to be around in the numbers we used to be.

I don't go out to play in the daytime often, but yesterday I decided to make a day of it. I visited most of the faarang places in Surin between 2pm and 4pm, it looked like this:

Farang Connection: 3 customers.

Sports Bar: 0 customers.

Oasis: Closed.

Green Mango: 0 customers.

Norbies: 0 customers.

Leks: 0 customers.

A few years back there would always be a few people everywhere, yesterday it was a ghost town.[/quot

Although anecdotal, this kind of observation is often much more accurate than government statistics. Economic activity is down around the globe, and in Thailand's case the currency woes of AU, NZ, Eurozone, Japan, Russia, etc. certainly do not help tourism.

I seriously doubt that scumbag, white trash sex tourist losers outnumber normal tourists... that's just the mentality of sex tourists and sexpats. Just because that's why they're here, they assume all other white males are sad, pathetic, embarrassing losers like themselves.

This is not an old thing, as one poster has said. It is relatively new. Amongst other things, one of the reasons is that word gets around of all of the scams. One other reason, as someone had mentioned, is cost. Why would tourist come to Thailand and pay as much for a restaurant meal and a beer as they would at home?

because tourists don't visit Thailand for restaurant meals and beer coffee1.gif

For me, i am on the verge of pooping myself as well,

here's why, i have investments in Australia, i see the

return on my investments dwindling to zero, although

i am not retired i will get there one day, there is a

rumor i'm not sure, that Aussie citizens who have

been out of the country for more than 5 years will not

get the pension, i'm concerned. In Europe, about 5

years ago i would go collect rents from my properties

and go to the bank with bags full of money, today i

have many places empty, some tenants have abandoned

the property, leaving thousands in repairs with over 6

months in unpaid rent (never to be paid) another one

hasn't paid rent in over 6 month's, won't leave and told

me he will go if i paid him €1,500.00 and yet the GST is

23% on everything and i am going broke, the properties

are on the market but people are scared of the future

so aren't buying, so the Issan girls can keep scratching

their heads in wonder, the good times are really over,

good luck with the Chinese

Where one falls by the wayside, another will step in.

Life will go for the Isaan girls and another Farang failure will barely cause ripples in the water.

Archived