Max Valu

Paxton

Putting the irritating name aside, I've found this place to be quite convenient (ok, it's supposed to be, but...). I've been getting my dinner from their "Promotion" section for the last four nights and I can see this becoming a habit but I get the feeling that it's not a good one...

Their Laem Chabang supermarket is about to go bust.

Perhaps due to their extortionate prices. Apart from the evening promotions section, the prices seem pretty high.

There is a member who always post in the Pattaya forum who has repeatedly claimed that they are so cheap, that even the long drive from Pattaya gets compensated.

I wish there were some along lower Sukhumvit , (maybe I never found them)

I like the food and at least the small things I buy seem the same prices as 7-11 and Family Mart.

Where in lower Sukhumvit ?

There are a few Max-Valu's around... One in Gateway Ekammai

I would say lower sukhumvit to me is Soi 2 up to Terminal 21 , so not to far to carry stuff back.....

Their Laem Chabang supermarket is about to go bust.

Perhaps due to their extortionate prices. Apart from the evening promotions section, the prices seem pretty high.

There is a member who always post in the Pattaya forum who has repeatedly claimed that they are so cheap, that even the long drive from Pattaya gets compensated.

Well in the one near my condo, the beer is at least 10 baht more expensive than 7/11 and a bag of salad was twice the price of that in tesco....might be regional differences in prices. They do have much more variety than most of these convenience stores

Always carefully check the label on the edge of the shelf against the item you are buying (helps if you can read Thai and have good eyesight). Most goods do not have a price sticker on them and are not in their correct shelf position, so you can end up paying more than you bargained for.

Or just stick to Foodland where every item is priced.

If you have there Aeon Card then you get 15% discount on the 1st of every month.. rarely go but they are a biggish store + open 24/7, + about 7 KM away + don't have to go onto the main Rd, where as Big C is about 16 KM + must fight with 'Westgate traffice'.., as already said most things are more expensive..

As for fruit and Veg, the local Village Markets, even Makro are much better than any Supermarket

Edited by ignis

The MaxValue close to me in Phra Khanong (Bangkok) used to be a Jusco. Aeon bought the chain and converted it to a full sized MV, renovating the entire store about 5 years ago.

I shop at Max Value regularly and find their prices to be generally in line with Foodland, a bit lower than Villa and Tops but they do not stock a large array of "western" specialty products. I can usually find what I need though.

Vegetables on promotion (especially Wednesdays when you can get a coupon for 5% of your purchase applicable next time you shop) are reasonable and usually fresh and are not usually packaged together like they often do at Foodland. It's annoying there to always find one bad potato wrapped with a good one.

Fish is fresh and they will clean and cut it any way you ask for. Pork and chicken are good but their beef is awful. For years they have sold a stringy and flavorless cut that looks like a calf muscle...never found a good way to cook it. They have recently begun to sell some fresh steak cuts but they look dry and unappetizing, no marbling at all. In the deli section, they do sell some Japanese "Snow Beef" brand frozen steaks that aren't bad and are reasonably priced.

Yesterday, Chang Beer was B53/Lt, same as 7-11.

Many of their stores are half size and I don't know if the pricing is the same as the full size supermarkets.

I really like that if I spend B1000+, they will deliver the order free to my apartment, usually within an hour...great service.

Edited by dddave