Thammasat cites risque lipstick for rejecting transgender academic

webfact

Thammasat Cites Risqué Lipstick for Rejecting Transgender Prof
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14448055441444805646l.jpg
29-year-old Kath Khangpiboon has filed a discrimination lawsuit against Thammasat University for withdrawing an offer of employment nine months after it was extended. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Thammasat University’s rector yesterday defended his board’s refusal to employ a transgender academic, saying it was due to an inappropriate photo she posted online, not her sexuality.

Although Kath Khangpiboon, 29, had passed all necessary examinations, rector Somkid Lertpaitoon insisted a photo of a penis-shaped tube of lipstick posted to her personal Facebook nearly a year ago was a sign of her improper conduct online and an indicator she would not be a good teacher.

“Apart from matching all the required qualifications identified by the university, such as grades, we also take an individual’s behavior into consideration. The committee unanimously agreed not to employ Mr. Kath,” Somkid said, referring to Kath’s gender at birth.

Kath said she posted the photo of the anatomically shaped lipstick to thank the person who gave it to her and educate the online community about sexuality.

On Monday she filed a lawsuit against the university, accusing its hiring committee of discrimination and violating her human dignity. She said she wants to set a higher standard for sexual equality in society.

Jetsada Taesombat of the Thai Transgender Alliance praised Kath for taking her discrimination case to court because it would set a legal precedent. According to Jetsada, many other transgender people were refused jobs because of their gender identity but were reluctant to sue in the court.

"We have to thank Ajarn Kath, because there have been many other cases, but they don't want to fight it in the court, because it's a burden for their lives, and it's expensive to hire lawyers and go through all the procedures," she said.

She added that transgenders are the most discriminated group among LGBT communities when it comes to employment.

Her organization has been campaigning on behalf of Kath.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1444805544

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-14

They should have rejected him because his skin was too dark and he came from Issan.

That would have been totally acceptable.

Her and she

Well if there's a 3rd gender, surely

he/she/whatever is neither............

The report says she and I assume from that her preference is for female pronouns.

Her life. Her choices.

They should have rejected him because his skin was too dark and he came from Issan.

Her and she

The report says she and I assume from that her preference is for female pronouns.

Her life. Her choices.

Or the reporters. It was more a question about in this PC world how we are supposed to refer to them, personally 'Bacardi Breezers' works for me but have a feeling that is probably incorrect.

If someone refers to themselves as female I do as well.

It's their decision.

Not something I worry or care that much about to be honest.

Not my life or concern.

Bacardi Breezers? I may regret asking this, but why that term?

Edited by Bluespunk

But all those huge wooden phalli placed at shrines and little altars all around campus are perfectly okay, I suppose. The typical hypocrisy shines through again, even at an allegedly "liberal" university such as Thammasat.

On another note: Phallus lipstick issue aside, she/he IS one ugly specimen...

"Thammasat Universitys rector yesterday defended his boards refusal to employ a transgender academic, saying it was due to an inappropriate photo she posted online, not her sexuality."

Yeah right.

But I bet they are totally happy to take ladyboys into their expensive private courses!bah.gif

Her and she

Her life. Her choices.

Devil's advocate: by the same logic couldn't it be said that "his university, his choices"? If the sentiment of the public (and/or student body) is strongly in favor of hiring the applicant, wouldn't the effort be better directed at finding a new rector? So far I've not heard much more than whining about the issue on an Internet forum.