Manhunt launched for sandalwood poachers following the death of one ranger

webfact

Manhunt launched for sandalwood poachers following the death of one ranger

PHETCHABUN: -- A massive manhunt was launched Thursday for a group of sandalwood poachers who shot dead a forestry ranger during a clash in the forest in Phetchabun province a day earlier.

About 200 policemen from Korn Sarn district police station, troops and forest officials were involved in the manhunt for the poachers.

Mr Prasit Kummoo, chief of a forestry ranger unit of Phu Khieu wildlife sanctuary in Chaiyaphum province, was on a foot patrol with his men in the forest bordering Nam Nao national park of Phetchabun when they stumbled on a group of poachers as they were cutting down sandalwood trees.

The poachers opened fire on the ranger unit prompting a brief firefight resulting to the death of Mr Prasit.

A cremation of Mr Prasit is scheduled on October 19 at Wat Boriboon in Chaiyaphum’s Muang district.

Mr Medet Pongchantharasathien, chief of Phu Khieu wildlife sanctuary, said that the department of natural resources and environment would try to help the victim’s family. A 100,000 baht fund was given to the family as an initial help.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/manhunt-launched-for-sandalwood-poachers-following-the-death-of-one-ranger

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-15

The poachers were cutting aloewood trees (Aquilaria app) also known as "may hom". Oils from this wood are extracted for sale to traders from the Middle East. The trade has been going on for many a very long time. There is barely any may hom left in northern Thailand and these rangers are protecting the last trees, which have high commercial value. The poachers also hunt and trap wildlife which is collateral damage from their operations. The rangers at Phu Khieo are well trained and equipped so this guy was unlucky to have been a casualty. I hope they send in the army to clear out these poachers.

Fortunately sandalwood and Ud wood trees are now being cultivated. Both woods ... and especially the distilled oils made from the wood ... bring a very high price on the perfume and medicinal herb markets.

I'm on the verge of investing in a plantation here in Thailand.

Fortunately sandalwood and Ud wood trees are now being cultivated. Both woods ... and especially the distilled oils made from the wood ... bring a very high price on the perfume and medicinal herb markets.

Yes you are right. Cultivated wood is currently export world wide due to CITES is currently controlling nature wood. This is a big market now and in the future.. Edited by DK2223

I hope the plantation schemes in Thailand do better for you than the ones in Australia where people have lost millions of dollars.

Timber investment scheme failures

• 2 weeks later...

Start breeding a few big tigers again and let them loose in the forrest... smile.png

There used to be tigers in Phu Khieo but they apparently are either extremely rare or locally extinct now. The best defense against poachers are well-trained armed rangers. They have capable ranger teams at Phu Khieo so I suspect they will be focusing more attention on the aloewood poacher activity inside the wildlife sanctuary now.