Phuket immigration misinformation nightmare.

bangarang

I just wanted to share my experience today with our friendly immigration team...

Sorry if this gets long but this is my story and hopefully you do you're homework before going to find out whats possible on your visa because there is a high chance you these so called helpers will just leave you completely stressed out spouting out nonsense thinking they know everything. I got 5 completely different answers regarding getting a simple extension. But I only asked these nimwits because I didnt know the forms I needed to fill out.

Day 1:

I have a Non-O multi entry visa and my last stamp was set to expire in 4 days. I went to immigration to juice out those extra 60 days before heading over for a new one since I dont have the money in the bank. I asked the aussie information guy what forms I needed to extend my stay based on marriage and family for another 60 days. He seemed puzzled at first but eventually knew what I was asking. I filled out the forms to report my address and then another set to take up stairs. When my number was called for the address reporting the thai lady at the desk told me 60 days is not possible and that it has to be done in 2 steps... first is a 30 day stamp, then after that I come back for a 60 day stamp. I didnt have my landlord contract and copy of her ID at the time so I had to regroup and come back the next day. Strange how the information is different but ok.

Day 2:
This is where it gets really annoying. The sassy black lady and some british guy were working the information desk down stairs today. Here i get 2 completely different versions of mis-information.

Sassy Black Lady:
She said that as of 2 weeks ago there is only 30 day extensions, but I will have to leave my passport and apply for new visa upstairs. Thinking to myself I had no idea you can get a new visa inside the country but she insisted they do. And leaving my passport for an extension stamp seemed excessive but I remembered last year I requested the same thing and ignored her and they took care of everything including reporting my address. She also kept on mentioning changing from a tourist visa, but I never said or indicated anything about having a visa and my thai wife and half thai daughter were standing right next to me.

British Guy:
He said but also checked with someone behind the desk and came back with information also about getting new visa but I would only be allowed a 7 day extension only to make up for the time (my passport would stay at the office?).

Both people said my 60 day extension on a Non-O stamp from ranong would not be possible. I decided to just go upstairs because I was getting no where with these mis-informed people and a different british guy said I can get extension but only 30 days. Thinking of cutting a 30day loss on a visa I decided to just proceed because it was better than scrambling to find a flight in a couple days to KL or Laos. He has me go downstairs to get the slip for updating my address so when I see the sassy black lady I just ask for number to update address no other words exchanged. Go back upstairs and present my complete documents. The Thai officer calls me over along with my wife and daughter. Says nothing to us looking over the document and I just decided to ask... "So how many days will I get with this extension?" he replied "60 days"....

In total I get 5 completely different answers... but the end result was the one I was expecting. The lesson here is to ignore the advice of these so called immigration information helpers because they dont know anything other than maybe helping tourists. They seem to know nothing above having a tourist visa.

Avoid down stairs as much as you can. All you have to do is update and report your address there. After that go upstairs, don't give that sassy black lady. Im sure outside of immigration she is amazing at parties, but inside immigration she is a nightmare making you think that maybe there is a new immigration rule you missed when in fact she doesnt really know what she is talking about.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers!

Your are correct - best to go upstairs for anything longer than the regular 30 day extension.

And yes, I often overhear these volunteers offering inappropriate information to extension applicants. It really annoys me when some (not all) of these volunteers talk about a visa renewal (nonsense) when it's an extension application. No point in me trying to correct that misinformation as the volunteers get annoyed and the newbie applicant always believes the volunteers. These days I just keep my mouth shut.

Your are correct - best to go upstairs for anything longer than the regular 30 day extension.

And yes, I often overhear these volunteers offering inappropriate information to extension applicants. It really annoys me when some (not all) of these volunteers talk about a visa renewal (nonsense) when it's an extension application. No point in me trying to correct that misinformation as the volunteers get annoyed and the newbie applicant always believes the volunteers. These days I just keep my mouth shut.

The best part was that when I was done I wanted to say to the sassy lady... hey, I did get the 60 days. I guess I was hoping she was ask about it to maybe get herself more informed to be able to help others, but she only came back with a snide "yeah I knew you would get it. My partner just didnt get it..." yeah, thanks for the help.

LoL... totally blew my mind and that was the exact moment my faith was lost in their help 100%.

The kicker was when I was about to leave the brief remark and she said I could avoid all of this with the Thai Elite card... I wanted to say... I think If I had the money for that I wouldn't have to deal with you... but just shrugged it off and walked away.

Elite Card - yeh fine if your want to spend 500,000 baht for 5 years only. That's not hold money in the bank, that's money out the door on day one. But you know, I sometimes think it might just be worth blowing 500k rather than face the BS every year, sort of say screw you to the system. Even save the re-entry fees, save the annual extension fees.

They are fully aware of what the difference is between a visa and an extension.

But don’t forget that about 90% of the people visiting the downstairs immigration office are normal tourist and most of them don’t have a bloody clue what the difference is.

If the volunteers have to explain 100 times a day what the correct wording is I can understand that they just stick to the visa terminology to avoid creating long queues.

Even the officers are doing this and this and it is working fine as the costumers are getting what they were looking for.

For the well informed people (which most of on this board are) this can look wrong and frustrating and theoretically you are right off-course.

As all long term extension of “special” cases are handled upstairs and it is better to go straight upstairs for this as those officers are much better informed on those situations and I have to admit that the downstairs officers don’t even know themselves all the rulings for those cases as they are never involved in this.

About the bad behavior I hope that the poster filled a complaint at [email protected] so they can address this with the volunteer and improve the service instead of only sharing his experience here.

Just book your Phuket to KL tickets well in advance, you can find prices as low as 1200thb per leg. I could also ask for this 60 days extension but I don't even bother. The feeling you have when you know you'll never have to set foot in that ghastly building is just priceless.

@merjin

I wouldn't really say its bad behavior as just they seemed condescending. Given what thais employers put up with in this country I highly doubt any such complaint would do anything as they are volunteers and are lucky to have the extra help its just a shame that they are not well informed about the processes. But thanks for the email, I didnt know they had a complaint hotline. Good to know!

@merjin

I wouldn't really say its bad behavior as just they seemed condescending. Given what thais employers put up with in this country I highly doubt any such complaint would do anything as they are volunteers and are lucky to have the extra help its just a shame that they are not well informed about the processes. But thanks for the email, I didnt know they had a complaint hotline. Good to know!

I truly believe that they are trying to do their best and in most situations they are of great help.

But everybody can have it wrong or have a bad day.

Specially if the rules are changed on a regular (sometimes daily) basis without informing the public accordingly.

As they are first in line for the costumers they are getting all the heat from those changed rules which is not helping off-course.

It is very good possible that on one day people can do one thing and the next day it isn't possible anymore.

The email address is not a complaint hotline as such but a email address where people can contact them with immigration questions without having the language problems.

Elite Card - yeh fine if your want to spend 500,000 baht for 5 years only. That's not hold money in the bank, that's money out the door on day one. But you know, I sometimes think it might just be worth blowing 500k rather than face the BS every year, sort of say screw you to the system. Even save the re-entry fees, save the annual extension fees.

I've had similar thoughts about the Elite Card. Yes, pricey compared to annual extensions, but peace of mind for 5 years at only about 275 Baht/day. Many of us piss that much away each day on stuff we really don't need.

I've had similar thoughts about the Elite Card. Yes, pricey compared to annual extensions, but peace of mind for 5 years at only about 275 Baht/day. Many of us piss that much away each day on stuff we really don't need.

I'm waiting for the day that i reach 50 and can change from the marriage to the retirement extension.

Much easier and without waiting.

If i did not had this option i would probable also go for the 5 year easy entry elite card.

its to bad one has to first see these Farang volunteers to get a number to see a thai immigration in THAILAND.

I did my retirement extension in July an the vol told me the form i had was no good an gave me another one, i just ignored him an handed my paperwork to the Thai immigration sitting next to him... NO problem.

things were so much better before.

Also note the volunteers rotate , so who is downstairs one day moves upstairs the next. ;-(

Immigration officers quite often use the term 'Visa' (which is misleading), but not being natural English speakers, it's a lot easier than saying 'extension of stay based on................', which is quite a mouthful.

I presume the English speaking volunteers follow the leaders, so as not to confuse even further.

I find most English speaking expats also just don't know the difference between a 'Visa' and a 'Permit to Stay' because they rarely actually read what is printed and affixed in their passports.

They are fully aware of what the difference is between a visa and an extension.

But don’t forget that about 90% of the people visiting the downstairs immigration office are normal tourist and most of them don’t have a bloody clue what the difference is.

If the volunteers have to explain 100 times a day what the correct wording is I can understand that they just stick to the visa terminology to avoid creating long queues.

Even the officers are doing this and this and it is working fine as the costumers are getting what they were looking for.

For the well informed people (which most of on this board are) this can look wrong and frustrating and theoretically you are right off-course.

As all long term extension of “special” cases are handled upstairs and it is better to go straight upstairs for this as those officers are much better informed on those situations and I have to admit that the downstairs officers don’t even know themselves all the rulings for those cases as they are never involved in this.

About the bad behavior I hope that the poster filled a complaint at [email protected] so they can address this with the volunteer and improve the service instead of only sharing his experience here.

My experience has been,if you don't like what you hear from the wannabees,just go to the top.What they say is right,right or wrong.Also these are the people that may give you some wriggle room.No wannabee is gunna offer that.

I'd rather piss it up the wall than give money because i was a slack,lazy bastard.

Immigration officers quite often use the term 'Visa' (which is misleading), but not being natural English speakers, it's a lot easier than saying 'extension of stay based on................', which is quite a mouthful.

I presume the English speaking volunteers follow the leaders, so as not to confuse even further.

I find most English speaking expats also just don't know the difference between a 'Visa' and a 'Permit to Stay' because they rarely actually read what is printed and affixed in their passports.

I think that you are hitting the nail on his head.

In my experience in 90% of the cases that when people are complaining about the immigration department they did not had the correct paperwork or did not had all the prerequisites in place.

I really believe that If you have everything in place you don't have any problems with your extension etc.

I've never had a problem in the past ten years, I have the correct paperwork, but they do change some things slightly over time. If you think it's bad here, try getting your Thai fiancé or wife a visa to the USA! I've done it, and getting a visa here is a piece of cake in comparison!

But you know, I sometimes think it might just be worth blowing 500k rather than face the BS every year, sort of say screw you to the system

Exactly why at age 56 I have an Elite visa and not a retirement one...

Exactly why when I eventually turn 50 years of age, I think I will still keep living here on tourist visas. biggrin.png

Reading the TV visa forum, and the BS the Phuket immigration put expats though here - why would I bother changing the system that's been working for me?

Edited by NamKangMan