Any American Chula alumni out there?

Howdy folks,

I've been entertaining graduate school for quite some time and have just recently started to look into an MA in Southeast Asian Studies at Chulalongkorn University. A little background: I did my BA in Political Science at UC Berkeley and focused my studies in Chinese and Southeast Asian politics. I have spent the last few years working in public administration but now want to throw a Hail Mary to an eventual PhD in Comparative Politics focused on the peninsular Southeast Asia region.

Last application cycle, I applied and was accepted to several solid MA programs in International Affairs here in the US but had to postpone due to family sickness. Basically, I know that a degree from a Thai university may not be as "favorable" as a US degree, but it seems like if my desire is to study politics of Thailand and Myanmar, I should probably get some experience living in the region and acquiring the language. My experience in the region is limited to a short visit in the military and 30 days traveling with my girlfriend.

I guess my concern is really how much of a difference in standards there would be between a US university and a top Thai university like Chula. Also, are there any alumni who can speak to their experience? Anyone who did the Southeast Asian Studies program or know of anyone who did?

Thanks for reading! Cheers!

oh no..........this is your first post????? wai2.gif I hope you have a great sense of humor.

But my opinion is all that matters....so close the thread after i speak!!!! you heart wants to study at Chula, so do it. seems great. i have friends that went to UC-Berk and of course it's great for engineering. forget that....this is a matter of the heart. you will be lost and NOT whole if you don't study at Chula or a university in Thailand. is it georgetown or harvey mudd/claremont or all those other schools i'm sure you are familiar with? who cares!!!! use me as a reference......the rest of the application can be blank.

I give you my blessing

<thread closed>

coffee1.gif

• 1 month later...

As Razzell mentioned, I studied for the MA in Thai Studies at Chula.I can only say that my experience was positive, but one should note that I studied for self-interest, not for any reason of career advancement.

My fellow students were a mixture of Europeans, Japanese and Chinese, and our ages ranged from 20's up to 50's.

I guess my concern is really how much of a difference in standards there would be between a US university and a top Thai university like Chula

I can only compare Chula with the British university where I previously studied for an MSc ==> University College London (UCL). But since the course materials were so completely different (Arts vs Engineering degree), even that is not practical.

The subjects that I studied at Chula were all of personal interest to me ==> Thai politics, history, culture, music, cinema etc etc. Whether that would advance your career is a question that I cannot answer.

As Razzell mentioned, I studied for the MA in Thai Studies at Chula.I can only say that my experience was positive, but one should note that I studied for self-interest, not for any reason of career advancement.

My fellow students were a mixture of Europeans, Japanese and Chinese, and our ages ranged from 20's up to 50's.

I guess my concern is really how much of a difference in standards there would be between a US university and a top Thai university like Chula

I can only compare Chula with the British university where I previously studied for an MSc ==> University College London (UCL). But since the course materials were so completely different (Arts vs Engineering degree), even that is not practical.

The subjects that I studied at Chula were all of personal interest to me ==> Thai politics, history, culture, music, cinema etc etc. Whether that would advance your career is a question that I cannot answer.

Thanks for that Simon43 - I've got a good memory and remembered you completing it - and fancied doing the course myself!

RAZZ

whistling.gif

Thanks for the replies, all! I still have a few months to decide. I feel like it's a big gamble, but a gamble that could really be fulfilling.

If anyone else can add to the discussion, please let me know.

-------------------------------------

I don't know if his will add anything to the conversation or not......but consider this Zen saying. "When the student is ready to learn, a teacher will soon arrive ".

Archived