Can I connect two external monitors to my macbook air mid 2013

ryanhull

Hi,

I have a macook air mid 2013 model, I currently have one external Dell monitor connected up to it via the thunderbolt port, using a thunderbolt to HDMI cable, it works great however I want to get another monitor Dell monitor and hook them both up.

I have read on google it is not possible, yet I have seen docks for sale on the apply store which while expensive seem to give me the impression you could then have two thunderbolt ports meaning you could connect up two monitors? I would rather find a cheaper option so just wondering would a USB to HDMI work? or USB to thunderbolt female then male thunderbold to HDMI work?

I will take a trip to the local IT shop but they hardly speak any english and I live out in the sticks so wanted to get it right what im after,

Anyone here using macook air with dual external monitors?

Thanks

Yes, it can be done as the OS supports it. I've seen it done with docks in our offices but they are a bit expensive. The cheapest adapter I've seen has tbolt to dvi, vga, and hdmi but have not seen this used with 2 monitors.

Grin

Yes, it can be done as the OS supports it. I've seen it done with docks in our offices but they are a bit expensive. The cheapest adapter I've seen has tbolt to dvi, vga, and hdmi but have not seen this used with 2 monitors.

Grin

Cheers for the reply, I am aware of the docks but they are very expensive... around 300 dollars+

The tbolt to dvi I already have running the one external monitor, as the macbook air only has one tbolt connector that would not work :(

Cheers

If you had two "Thunderbolt Displays", or one "Thunderbolt Display" and a second HDMI Display, you would simply daisy-chain through the "Thunderbolt Display" then continue on to the other display.

You might be interested in

Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE (merges two monitors into one super-wide display)

Belkin Thunderbolt™ 2 Express Dock HD with Cable

or a DisplayLink (embedded USB chipset/software) Mac OS-compatible USB Monitor or USB->Video Adapter available through various manufacturers.

Note: some people have experienced that the system tends to crash when using expose or mission control with USB driven display adapters.

Wikipedia List of Thunderbolt-compatible devices Docks and Displays entries might be of some help (for Thunderbolt items)

Though I would suggest you do a google search and find what exact method someone else has successfully used.

possible to drive two external mointors with mid-2013 new macbook air?