Opinion: Aggressive behavior tarnishes Phuket tourism

Jonathan Fairfield

Opinion: Aggressive behavior tarnishes Phuket tourism

1444982666_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- There have been a number of incidents in recent times that will negatively impact how safe visitors feel here; namely the latest tourist bashing by bouncers in Patong and the riot at Thalang Police Station.

Though controversial, the riot should not really have much impact on tourism as it was far from the main tourist areas and was easily avoidable by those who needed to pass through the area at the time.

However, incidents involving nightclub bouncers in tourist areas are a different story, and could have negative repercussions, especially in Patong, where such force and aggression happens in plain view, for all tourists to see.

Bouncers and security guards are supposed to be making guests feel safe. Those who do not follow the club’s rules should first be warned of their behaviour and if they continue to act inappropriately, should then be evicted, but in a tactful manner.

This appears to be where the problem arises. Unfortunately, in some bouncers’ eyes, using relentless force and aggression is seen as appropriate and tactful.

What these bouncers, along with club owners, management and especially the Patong Entertainment Association should realise is that bouncers are also responsible for upholding the image of the club.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-18

Just another reason to never go to Phuket. But I wish to add one thing. People come here to get away from nanny states but when something like this happens suggest the nanny state rules and procedures to stop it. Maybe some of these guys should make up their mind do they want to live in a nanny state or not. Thailand is known for being lawless accept it.

Been to most of thailand, and I enjoyed my 8 night trip to phuket this year but didn't like the breed of tourist hanging around Patong at all, went from there to Jomtien and Ko Chang and people were much more friendly and down to earth. Must say though in Phuket I stayed in two different accommodations, 4 nights in each and the staff were wonderful. The first day I arrived to my bungalow accommodation after a flight and minibus from BK I felt very sick, I had to jump the van and vomit while one of the passengers was being left off on route. When I landed with my bag a young girl about mid 20's asked me how I was as I looked a bit shook. she parted, then 5 min later to my surprise she came back with a can of sprite and a bag of salt, she had bought them in 7/11 and said ingest them and will clear your system and she took off again. It worked too, fair play to her thumbsup.gif

Edited by manow manow

Just another reason to never go to Phuket. But I wish to add one thing. People come here to get away from nanny states but when something like this happens suggest the nanny state rules and procedures to stop it. Maybe some of these guys should make up their mind do they want to live in a nanny state or not. Thailand is known for being lawless accept it.

Calling the police to trespass and evict an 86'd bar patron is living in a nanny state? Thailand is only lawless in the eyes of the PTP.

Calling the police to trespass and evict an 86'd bar patron is living in a nanny state? Thailand is only lawless in the eyes of the PTP.

Went back and read the op and couldnot find the part about police trespass and 86'd bar patron and to be honest donot know what they have to do with this topic. What is a 86"d patron since I donot know and was never mentioned till you mentioned it. As far as lawless, that was the consensus long before PTP came into being.So in my opinion is just a fabrication on your part.

Edited by lovelomsak

"Visitors famously pay a fixed minimum tariff of US$250 (A$340) per day, making it appear as one of the world’s most expensive destinations." - you can easily spend $250USD on tuk-tuks in one day, on Phuket. :)

When a person goes on holiday -they expect to have a good time. When they visit a bar and on holiday many people will drink more than usual and sometimes some of these people cannot handle their drinks and get belligerent. That is why you have security staff. The Thai security staff have not been trained properly nor briefed on what their proper role is.Striking anyone should never take place.. If you own a bar and hire security staff that cannot figure out how to ask someone to pay their bill and leave without hitting them- then you should not own the bar and for sure you need new security staff. The problem is that many of these owners and managers who are non Thai have no work permits nor proper long term Visa's and have to depend on Thai security to do the job they should be doing themselves. Both the owner and the staff need to remember that repeat busines is based upon good will. That is why Phuket is on its way down.

^^ except many of the people you talk about are complete <deleted> on the weekend in their home town and do the same in Thailand but with the added "white man" superior attitude about them as well.

Then they whine like little girls when they get their comeuppance.

^^ except many of the people you talk about are complete <deleted> on the weekend in their home town and do the same in Thailand but with the added "white man" superior attitude about them as well.

A bit harsh, Mc.

The majority of holiday makers are excited to be in an overseas destination for a holiday. This excitement leads to extrovert behavior, over friendliness, excess alcohol consumption etc. You can add youthful exuberance to this as well, for the younger holiday makers. We have all been there.

Very few go on a holiday whilst already depressed and looking to get drunk and have a fight.

Security staff should show restraint and patience when a holiday maker is pressing the boundaries.

What was filmed was more like a beating in the back room of a Thai police station whilst trying to extract a confession. biggrin.png

It is about time the thugs that Thailand think are decent people get their come uppence. Send them to one of the hard cities in the world and let them find out just how tough they are when it is one on one. All of these issues have one thing in common and that is a bunch of Thais who think they are hard men against one or maybe two other guys. The real tough guys, and Thailand has its share of them, dont need to go in gangs to show how tough they are and very few ever go looking for trouble

If it's lawless like the American Old West, and I can carry a gun like the American Old West, then I can accept it.

But when you're the target? Can't accept that, and that's why many of us TV members are vocal about what wrong with this country. Now we just need the "Go home if you don't like it", chorus to chime in. blah blah blah...

It is about time the thugs that Thailand think are decent people get their come uppence. Send them to one of the hard cities in the world and let them find out just how tough they are when it is one on one. All of these issues have one thing in common and that is a bunch of Thais who think they are hard men against one or maybe two other guys. The real tough guys, and Thailand has its share of them, dont need to go in gangs to show how tough they are and very few ever go looking for trouble

Send them to East LA. But where do Thai immigrants end up? North Hollywood. Go figure.

really interesting point. I think there is definitely an element of truth in what you say. Although I am here for work and have not escaped my country I do get sick of the nanny state.

I guess the ideal would be effective policing so we are all safer and know justice is available to all but maintain the lack of interference in your daily lives.

Still love some parts of Phuket,but at the moment Im having a break from it.The aggresive behaviour from the above mentioned things Im used to,but what I discovered during my last visits there was an increasingly greedy behaviour from almost every part of the service industry shops,resturants,bars and yes,transport.Combined with the massive influx of mass tourism it became an major for me to take a break.

If it's lawless like the American Old West, and I can carry a gun like the American Old West, then I can accept it.

But when you're the target? Can't accept that, and that's why many of us TV members are vocal about what wrong with this country. Now we just need the "Go home if you don't like it", chorus to chime in. blah blah blah...

"that's why many of us TV members are vocal about what wrong with this country" - not those with business and property interests here. cheesy.gif

Still love some parts of Phuket,but at the moment Im having a break from it.The aggresive behaviour from the above mentioned things Im used to,but what I discovered during my last visits there was an increasingly greedy behaviour from almost every part of the service industry shops,resturants,bars and yes,transport.Combined with the massive influx of mass tourism it became an major for me to take a break.

Pretty much sums up the reasons that others have given to me for why they no longer come here / live here.

Question is, will there ever be be any positive change here????

With the Thai military in charge for 18 months, and nothing done about the entrenched issues on phuket - unfortunately, in my opionion, I very much doubt it.

"massive influx of mass tourism"

Really ?

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

coffee1.gif

Really ?

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

coffee1.gif

Doh-doh-doh...........................english is not my native language......dude tongue.png

Really ?

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

coffee1.gif

Yes, really, it's true. "Massive influx" of Chinese "zero baht tourists."

Basically, the tourist numbers are up, but the money revenue from these tourists is down, way down, across the whole island.

So, the question is, better to have many tourists who spend very little, or fewer tourists who spend a lot?

Unfortunately for Phuket, the "fewer tourists" with the money, no longer come here in the numbers that we are previously used to seeing, and in my opinion, that's because Phuket no longer offers a value for money, safe and pleasant holiday.

Not to mention the expats that keep leaving.

Edited by NamKangMan