Good quality microphone for screencasting

DavisH

Can anyone recommend a good quality microphone for use with my laptop? I'm trying to make some presentations but the internal mic is creating a loud hum in my recordings. I assume this is the computer fan/cpu/electrical interference causing the sound into my recordings. I can edit some out with audacity, but I really need to reduce that noise from the start. I've tried playing with the recording settings to reduce the hum but that also reduces my voice too much. I'd be grateful if anyone has suggestions for a mic (brand/model) that I can buy in Thailand. Thanks.

While you can try using an external mic that plugs into your Laptop's MIC input port you'll probably want to purchase a USB Microphone as they're much better quality.

If yours is the only voice being recorded you can with a dedicated USB Microphone.
If you want to record multiple/simultaneous voices, or transfer in non-digital sounds then you may want to opt for a XLR-based sound board with multiple adjustable inputs.

You can also look for previous discussions (and suggestions) using ThaiVisa search for: USB Microphones

Last year "modafinil" posted this on ThaiVisa:

This is a nice little youtube video. It's a guy comparing USB and XLR mics, you can see the price and hear the sound quality for each one.

If you can find a USB mic that you like, you might not even need a mixer/preamp to plug your mic into.

Blue Yeti....on Amazon! Just bought one and had it sent to Thailand. Great mic! Check it out...

Thanks for that, I was looking at that last night. It is available here, about 7000 baht. I think that would be about my upper limit.

While you can try using an external mic that plugs into your Laptop's MIC input port you'll probably want to purchase a USB Microphone as they're much better quality.

If yours is the only voice being recorded you can with a dedicated USB Microphone.

If you want to record multiple/simultaneous voices, or transfer in non-digital sounds then you may want to opt for a XLR-based sound board with multiple adjustable inputs.

You can also look for previous discussions (and suggestions) using ThaiVisa search for: USB Microphones

Last year "modafinil" posted this on ThaiVisa:

This is a nice little youtube video. It's a guy comparing USB and XLR mics, you can see the price and hear the sound quality for each one.

If you can find a USB mic that you like, you might not even need a mixer/preamp to plug your mic into.

Thanks for posting that info. I havw a bit of time so there's no rush too purchase:)

Archived