Looking for cheap food east of the old city

popje

Hi there, I've been in chiang mai for almost a month and I'm trying to find new restaurants at a decent price around this area: https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Anuwitee+Rd,+Amphoe+Mueang+Chiang+Mai,+Chang+Wat+Chiang+Mai+50000/@18.7806824,99.0214039,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x0:0x0!2zMTjCsDQ2JzUwLjUiTiA5OcKwMDEnMjAuMiJF!3b1!3m1!1s0x30da25578b523d15:0x7493c0e222ae73fb?hl=en, I don't mind paying up to 150 baht for a good meal but I am not interested in spending 300+ in a fancy restaurant with a nice view especially that I always take away the food, I love thai food but I can't eat thai food all the time, I need something different everyday or so.

I have found pretty much nothing in my area except some good fried chicken and the usual thai food which unfortunately most of them don't have english menus for some reason, I pretty much have to go to the old city once or twice everyday and its a bit annoying, my favorite cheap food in the old city so far are the tacos/burritos at tacos bell in front of the zoe in yellow entrance and the indian restaurant in front (not new delhi), khao soi close to the night bazaar, The Amazing Sandwich is also pretty good and Ragu at the promenada mall to fix my prosciutto provolone sandwich craving.

I am looking for pretty much anything even non english menu thai restaurants if you can help me get something there. Here some stuff that I'd really like to find in the area: thai chili frog legs, non sweet thai dishes you'd recommend (tried khao soi for the first time this week and it is awesome) pizza, lasagna, indian food, sandwiches, tacos, burgers, meals with mainly meat (like pork garlic and pepper).

I know absolutely no delivery restaurant other than the big chains like mcdonald, kfc, pizza company, if you know any lesser know restaurant that have delivery, let me know.

Edited by popje

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a lot of cheap food in your area, but its all Thai.

I suggest you learn a bit about the Thai cuisine and a few food words then go e.g. to the San Pa Khoi Market only 2 kilo meters from your location. Here you buy most food as take-away and itll be 25-40 baht per dish.

If you only tasted Khao Soi after having been here for 3 weeks, I think the Thai kitchen still has a lot to offer you.

There is a lot of cheap food in your area, but its all Thai.

I suggest you learn a bit about the Thai cuisine and a few food words then go e.g. to the San Pa Khoi Market only 2 kilo meters from your location. Here you buy most food as take-away and itll be 25-40 baht per dish.

If you only tasted Khao Soi after having been here for 3 weeks, I think the Thai kitchen still has a lot to offer you.

Oh no, I tried a good whole bunch of thai dishes and I've been in thailand for 3 months now (I was in koh samui before), but khao soi is the first one I actually know the thai name and managed to get in a thai only restaurant, I can google a few dishes but I don't think every restaurant have every dishes and I am kinda sick of eating curry, rice and sweet dishes and it seems like everytime I try something new randomly it turns out to be rice with something sweet or I find a thai restaurant with english speaking people and menu and they expect me to pay 120 baht for a pad thai. As for street food, which is literally everywhere, I get some often but I can't eat sticks of meats as a whole meal everyday either and they are very inconsistent, sometimes they are open, sometimes closed, sometimes they are gone forever (I once found a guy selling a big bag of bbq pork ribs for 55 baht, no bones or fat at all and it was delicious, just to be nowhere to be found the next 5 times I went back)

Food courts in supermarkets? Big C, Tesco.....

There not really any supermarkets close to me, the closest one would be the big c supercenter, I never been to that specific one but normally big c have chain restaurants which are kinda expensive and not that much further than the old city so might as well go to the old city instead.

I lived in that area for about three years. There is nothing in English because there its a very Thai area, not many Farang! The "restaurants" around the railway station are dreadful except one - the most upmarket one is the good one and, though more pricey than average, certainly under 100B a meal.

I found a good cafe near my house that cooked everything and then, as stated above, used the San Pa Koi market.

Otherwise try the restaurants on the road further North, Kaew Nawarat. Lots of choice and many places with English menus.

I'm a few hundred metres away from that point. Apart from the Railway station (as mentioned before average at best) it is pretty slim pickings. You could try half a dozen places on Thung Hotel Rd directly opposite the Railway station. They have a few farang dishes as many in DTown condo and a squillion missionary families that seem to be in the area...Apart from that there is some good variety in the newer complex in front of the bus station which would be a quick run down the superhighway for you, grab some food and then loop back through Thung Hotel Rd to home again. Through the back roads from your place to the underpass to Don Chan is pretty quick as well and they have a limited selection and food court above but mainly Thai focussed and once again you skip the superhighway coming home through the underpass....and only a minute more to Promenada.

Edited by mamborobert

I lived in that area for about three years. There is nothing in English because there its a very Thai area, not many Farang! The "restaurants" around the railway station are dreadful except one - the most upmarket one is the good one and, though more pricey than average, certainly under 100B a meal.

I found a good cafe near my house that cooked everything and then, as stated above, used the San Pa Koi market.

Otherwise try the restaurants on the road further North, Kaew Nawarat. Lots of choice and many places with English menus.

Remember where that good restaurant around the railway station is or that cafe ?

I'll try Kaew Nawarat street tomorrow, I guess I should look around the university ?

I'm a few hundred metres away from that point. Apart from the Railway station (as mentioned before average at best) it is pretty slim pickings. You could try half a dozen places on Thung Hotel Rd directly opposite the Railway station. They have a few farang dishes as many in DTown condo and a squillion missionary families that seem to be in the area...Apart from that there is some good variety in the newer complex in front of the bus station which would be a quick run down the superhighway for you, grab some food and then loop back through Thung Hotel Rd to home again. Through the back roads from your place to the underpass to Don Chan is pretty quick as well and they have a limited selection and food court above but mainly Thai focussed and once again you skip the superhighway coming home through the underpass.

I guess on thung hotel rd north of charoen muang rd ? I went in front of the bus station I found a nice bakery that sells pretty good lasagna (150 baht though) and other baked desserts I am not a big fan of.

Edited by popje

There is one called Rod Sabiang at the Train Station and that might be the one...fairly big has music a few nights...lots of Farang dishes as next to Bossotel Hotel and Supanich Condo ..also westerners seem to eat/meet there before train rides.

I'll take a look thanks

Nip up Thae Pae Rd. to Ploen Rudee Market (on Chang Klan next to Siam C bank); lots of cheap food stalls selling everything from burgers to Korean although you'll go over budget if you get tempted by the little cocktail bar.

biggrin.png

Nip up Thae Pae Rd. to Ploen Rudee Market (on Chang Klan next to Siam C bank); lots of cheap food stalls selling everything from burgers to Korean although you'll go over budget if you get tempted by the little cocktail bar.

biggrin.png

I can't find that market on google maps, as for the street, I've been on it a few times, I guess I am blind but at the same time I like keeping my eyes on the road when I drive, its not a big street, so I think I'll just walk the whole thing see what they got.

Food courts in supermarkets? Big C, Tesco.....

There not really any supermarkets close to me, the closest one would be the big c supercenter, I never been to that specific one but normally big c have chain restaurants which are kinda expensive and not that much further than the old city so might as well go to the old city instead.

Makro has a food court, too. You do know what food courts are? Cheap 35- 50 bt meals. Might need to order 2, but easy to buy. Just wander around the different stalls & point at what you want.

Remember where that good restaurant around the railway station is or that cafe ?

The restaurant is directly to the right of the Bossotel, the big ugly hotel in front of you as you head out of the railway station car park. Picture attached. Its not special, but worth a try for some daily grub.

The cafe.... same as any little "aharn tam sang" ("food to order") place.

post-78027-0-66693300-1445263802_thumb.p

There is one called Rod Sabiang at the Train Station and that might be the one...fairly big has music a few nights...lots of Farang dishes as next to Bossotel Hotel and Supanich Condo ..also westerners seem to eat/meet there before train rides.

That's the one.

Hi there, I've been in chiang mai for almost a month and I'm trying to find new restaurants at a decent price around this area: https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Anuwitee+Rd,+Amphoe+Mueang+Chiang+Mai,+Chang+Wat+Chiang+Mai+50000/@18.7806824,99.0214039,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x0:0x0!2zMTjCsDQ2JzUwLjUiTiA5OcKwMDEnMjAuMiJF!3b1!3m1!1s0x30da25578b523d15:0x7493c0e222ae73fb?hl=en, I don't mind paying up to 150 baht for a good meal but I am not interested in spending 300+ in a fancy restaurant with a nice view especially that I always take away the food, I love thai food but I can't eat thai food all the time, I need something different everyday or so.

I have found pretty much nothing in my area except some good fried chicken and the usual thai food which unfortunately most of them don't have english menus for some reason, I pretty much have to go to the old city once or twice everyday and its a bit annoying, my favorite cheap food in the old city so far are the tacos/burritos at tacos bell in front of the zoe in yellow entrance and the indian restaurant in front (not new delhi), khao soi close to the night bazaar, The Amazing Sandwich is also pretty good and Ragu at the promenada mall to fix my prosciutto provolone sandwich craving.

I am looking for pretty much anything even non english menu thai restaurants if you can help me get something there. Here some stuff that I'd really like to find in the area: thai chili frog legs, non sweet thai dishes you'd recommend (tried khao soi for the first time this week and it is awesome) pizza, lasagna, indian food, sandwiches, tacos, burgers, meals with mainly meat (like pork garlic and pepper).

I know absolutely no delivery restaurant other than the big chains like mcdonald, kfc, pizza company, if you know any lesser know restaurant that have delivery, let me know.

Actually, 7/Eleven is quite good!

Delivery? Check out: Meals on Wheels - http://www.mealsonwheels4u.com

I saw that, while I like the concept its not what I am looking for, all the restaurants on their website are the expensive restaurants I am trying to avoid not counting the extra 20% they are charging on every order, I know it is a forum sponsored website but foodpanda is more fair because they charge a flat delivery fee instead of a % fee. When I said delivery restaurant, I meant restaurants that do the delivery themselves.

Edited by popje

Actually, 7/Eleven is quite good!

I know right, them rice burgers are the shit ! In all seriousness, in the first month I was in thailand I really liked them cheese sausage grilled things a lot, but I got sick of them way too fast.

When we first arrived we found the best strategy for ordering food at Thai places when we couldn't read the menu was to walk around and see what everyone was eating and if something looked good, to point it out to the waitress/owner and tell them that's what we wanted. Often, a customer would take pity and order for us, or -- better yet -- teach us the name of the dish in Thai.

As I said in a previous post, you really do need to learn some elementary Thai. Not just speaking, but also had to read Thai, as in how to read a menu, utility bills, common signs, etc.

When we first arrived we found the best strategy for ordering food at Thai places when we couldn't read the menu was to walk around and see what everyone was eating and if something looked good, to point it out to the waitress/owner and tell them that's what we wanted. Often, a customer would take pity and order for us, or -- better yet -- teach us the name of the dish in Thai.

As I said in a previous post, you really do need to learn some elementary Thai. Not just speaking, but also had to read Thai, as in how to read a menu, utility bills, common signs, etc.

This is good advice for finding what to eat. You may not like it, but if you don't try you won't know.

NancyL, you might explain "point it out to the waitress/owner" in a little more detail for the OP. It is considered rude to point at people (and things in some cases), and may even bring bad luck in Thai traditions.

Come and look over the menu a The Pun Pun.

East bank of the river on Charoenrat Rd. Looking at the menu is cost free......very economical.... both Thai and Western Dishes. Large portion Thai meals in the range of 80 baht...... to the most expensive of western foods, the Pork Knuckle Dinner at 285.... other western foods cheaper..... like chicken fried steak dinner/ Meatloaf Dinner/ Liver,Bacon, Onions plus

Oh no, I tried a good whole bunch of thai dishes and I've been in thailand for 3 months now (I was in koh samui before), but khao soi is the first one I actually know the thai name and managed to get in a thai only restaurant, I can google a few dishes but I don't think every restaurant have every dishes and I am kinda sick of eating curry, rice and sweet dishes

Make your own menu!

From the internet, find out which dishes sound interesting, write down both the English and Thai name, then when you see a group of food vendors you show them your menu and either ask “mii arai” (literal translation: have what?) or point to what you want (on your menu), and if the street vendor does not have it, he’ll likely point you to one that does (which is why you want to do the latter in an area with multiple stalls).

You mention curry, rice and “sweet dishes”. Have you tried any of their salads (yam bpla duk foo, som tam/dtam thai, larb, yam wunseen taley)? Any of their soups (dtom ka gai, dtom yam gung, gang som cha’om taut)? Any of their noodle dishes (pad see ew, rat na, khanom jiin, guai dtiao)? Any of their omelettes (kai jeow nam)? etc.

I find a thai restaurant with english speaking people and menu and they expect me to pay 120 baht for a pad thai.

Yes, they expect you to pay 120 baht for a dish because it is more expensive to run a real restaurant with rent (presumably in a tourist area), English speaking staff, and possibly air condition, than it is to sell food on the street!

And you’re even expected to leave a 20 baht tip in a restaurant!

The OP's location is indeed a bit of a void, but you can find some interesting and afforable options slightly to the East or slightly to the West.

To the East, just after crossing the Superhighway is this cluster of restaurants that are interesting; mostly Thai food: https://goo.gl/zqq5uT

Or, if you take a left turn once on the Sankamphaeng Road then you get to loads of food options in the general Payap area, including a cheap Western food option that I can't find right now on Google maps. EDIT: ah, here. Bit further than I though it would be, but it's an interesting place: https://goo.gl/yVzVNE

It's called Bee Hiang apparantly. Lots more food options nearby too, catering to the Payap crowd which makes them all affordable.

Or, when going towards town then you have a lot of options in the Riverside / Sanpakhoi area, even before crossing the river:

* Success Italian

* Mamia Coffee & Food on the river

* Namton's House Bar (closed Wednesdays)

* Several Thai places, the one at the Big Tree three way interesection at Gymkhana is worth a mention (Khao Soi and made to order Thai food)

* The Vietnamese inspired place near Duke's

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The OP's location is indeed a bit of a void, but you can find some interesting and afforable options slightly to the East or slightly to the West.

To the East, just after crossing the Superhighway is this cluster of restaurants that are interesting; mostly Thai food: https://goo.gl/zqq5uT

Or, if you take a left turn once on the Sankamphaeng Road then you get to loads of food options in the general Payap area, including a cheap Western food option that I can't find right now on Google maps. EDIT: ah, here. Bit further than I though it would be, but it's an interesting place: https://goo.gl/yVzVNE

It's called Bee Hiang apparantly. Lots more food options nearby too, catering to the Payap crowd which makes them all affordable.

Or, when going towards town then you have a lot of options in the Riverside / Sanpakhoi area, even before crossing the river:

* Success Italian

* Mamia Coffee & Food on the river

* Namton's House Bar (closed Wednesdays)

* Several Thai places, the one at the Big Tree three way interesection at Gymkhana is worth a mention (Khao Soi and made to order Thai food)

* The Vietnamese inspired place near Duke's

Success Pizza has closed. I'm not sure about the prices, I imagine they are reasonable, but The Gymkhana may be worth a shot, if only for the view from the veranda. It is open to non-members.