Looking for cheap food east of the old city

popje

The restaurant at Promenada next to Rimping offers a three course lunch, multiple choice for 120 baht.

There's a restaurant nearly opposite the electricity authority in Lamphun Road which has a mix of falang and Thai dishes, menu in Thai and English, with pictures. Quite cheap.

What I refer to as Muslim Gardens next to the 7/11 in Lamphun Road ( near Riverside condo ) does a good Chicken Biryani for 40 baht.

If you really want to lash out, you can pay about 2500 baht including one glass of wine for lunch at Le Coq D'Or in the same area.

OP asked for "cheap food".

Unless you are a Merc driver 2500 baht aint cheap.

My guess would be a Benz driver playing golf at Saint Andrews.giggle.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When we first arrived we found the best strategy for ordering food at Thai places when we couldn't read the menu was to walk around and see what everyone was eating and if something looked good, to point it out to the waitress/owner and tell them that's what we wanted. Often, a customer would take pity and order for us, or -- better yet -- teach us the name of the dish in Thai.

As I said in a previous post, you really do need to learn some elementary Thai. Not just speaking, but also had to read Thai, as in how to read a menu, utility bills, common signs, etc.

That is a good idea thanks and yeah I am only in thailand for another 2-3 months I am not sure learning thai right now is the best idea, not that it can be a bad one either but yeah I'll try to at least learn the dishes I want to try.

Come and look over the menu a The Pun Pun.

East bank of the river on Charoenrat Rd. Looking at the menu is cost free......very economical.... both Thai and Western Dishes. Large portion Thai meals in the range of 80 baht...... to the most expensive of western foods, the Pork Knuckle Dinner at 285.... other western foods cheaper..... like chicken fried steak dinner/ Meatloaf Dinner/ Liver,Bacon, Onions plus

That sounds good I'll give it a try thanks

The OP's location is indeed a bit of a void, but you can find some interesting and afforable options slightly to the East or slightly to the West.

To the East, just after crossing the Superhighway is this cluster of restaurants that are interesting; mostly Thai food: https://goo.gl/zqq5uT

Or, if you take a left turn once on the Sankamphaeng Road then you get to loads of food options in the general Payap area, including a cheap Western food option that I can't find right now on Google maps. EDIT: ah, here. Bit further than I though it would be, but it's an interesting place: https://goo.gl/yVzVNE

It's called Bee Hiang apparantly. Lots more food options nearby too, catering to the Payap crowd which makes them all affordable.

Or, when going towards town then you have a lot of options in the Riverside / Sanpakhoi area, even before crossing the river:

* Success Italian

* Mamia Coffee & Food on the river

* Namton's House Bar (closed Wednesdays)

* Several Thai places, the one at the Big Tree three way interesection at Gymkhana is worth a mention (Khao Soi and made to order Thai food)

* The Vietnamese inspired place near Duke's

Thanks a lot, I am making a map of a bunch of restaurants you guys proposed me, I'll just go ahead and visit every single one in a day and take pictures of all the menus, I'll post it here in case anyone else might be interested

Can I suggest you join the Facebook Group "Chiang Mai Foodies", because you might just find you are reinventing the wheel.

You'll also find lots more places that aren't listed here, along with some measure of review (it depends on the poster).

Edited by Chicog

The restaurant at Promenada next to Rimping offers a three course lunch, multiple choice for 120 baht.

There's a restaurant nearly opposite the electricity authority in Lamphun Road which has a mix of falang and Thai dishes, menu in Thai and English, with pictures. Quite cheap.

What I refer to as Muslim Gardens next to the 7/11 in Lamphun Road ( near Riverside condo ) does a good Chicken Biryani for 40 baht.

If you really want to lash out, you can pay about 2500 baht including one glass of wine for lunch at Le Coq D'Or in the same area.

Are you prescient, or do you have inside information?

Huh? What on earth has golf got to do with cheap food in CM?

Saint Andrews is a Scottish golf course AFAIK and the name bazza is AFAIK a nic name for Ozzies whose real name may be Basil

So Basil40 IMO is not involved in playing golf in Scotland, unless of course as he asks

Are you in fact prescient.. [is that your nic?] Myshkin

Back to OP;

I have heard that the Gecko place does a good variety of foods at a cheap price.

Must go try it myself now i've brought it up here and jogged my memory.

Back to OP;

I have heard that the Gecko place does a good variety of foods at a cheap price.

Geck is OK for cheaper food with variety, although I'm a bit concerned about the smell - it's right next to an very ripe canal, and unpleasant odours sometimes come through. Get a table as far away as possible, with a fan blowing towards the canal.

Huh? What on earth has golf got to do with cheap food in CM?

Saint Andrews is a Scottish golf course AFAIK and the name bazza is AFAIK a nic name for Ozzies whose real name may be Basil

So Basil40 IMO is not involved in playing golf in Scotland, unless of course as he asks

Back to OP;

So Aussie Basil might still be dreaming of playing golf at Saint Andrews while listening to the great opera classics in his Benz. I can highly recommend Gecko for good food at cheap prices, good portions too. The smell of the nearby 'klong' adds some extra flavor.

Still, I wonder if the 'Golden Rooster' would serve me if I showed up on my bicycle after a sweaty muddy ride, maybe I would wear a tie for the occasion.

khao man gai = simple chicken and rice dish - nothing fancy but a nice meal and should come with a bowl of soup - in my area 30-40 baht

you will note these places by the chickens hanging around…

There are also plenty of Thai places that specialize in roasted check and pork too sometimes...

Gai Yaang = roast chicken

Moo yaang = roast pork

Thai noodle soup also usually has many different ingredients and between the pork and veggies and noodles can be a full meal… usually 20-40 bht… = kwittayo [sorry, not sure how to transliterate this easily] but just stop in any open air Thai place that has customers and you will find a way to order something…

and if you have a fridge, go to a supermarket and get stuff for sandwiches that you can make easily at home...

Butter is Better about a block away from Pantip Plaza is my comfort food haven. They have a web site or facebook page. I've had the bacon cheese burger, New Jersey spaghetti and meatballs, oven roasted real turkey sandwich, huevous rancherosand pork goulash. All excellent and so much more on the menu. Prices vary but are reasonable and well worth it. The bacon cheese burger is the best i've had in CM.

When we first arrived we found the best strategy for ordering food at Thai places when we couldn't read the menu was to walk around and see what everyone was eating and if something looked good, to point it out to the waitress/owner and tell them that's what we wanted. Often, a customer would take pity and order for us, or -- better yet -- teach us the name of the dish in Thai.

As I said in a previous post, you really do need to learn some elementary Thai. Not just speaking, but also had to read Thai, as in how to read a menu, utility bills, common signs, etc.

I find it rather rude when people do this. I'm eating my dinner, not modelling in some sort of live-action food catalogue, and I'd rather you didn't come and stare at my plate whilst I do so.

For some reason, it always seems to be Americans that do this.

Yes, i think that is an american thing. I remember eating lunch at a mexican place in Hawaii and just as i tuck into a burrito, someone passing asks me what it is im eating. Who the F never saw a burrito before and who the F asks someone a stupid question just as they take a bite of food?

I find it rather rude when people do this. I'm eating my dinner, not modelling in some sort of live-action food catalogue, and I'd rather you didn't come and stare at my plate whilst I do so.

Me doth think your bias is showing, o perfect one

Yes, i think that is an american thing. I remember eating lunch at a mexican place in Hawaii and just as i tuck into a burrito, someone passing asks me what it is im eating. Who the F never saw a burrito before and who the F asks someone a stupid question just as they take a bite of food?

I hear ya bro, Americans can be such bad judges of character, if that guy had known what an ahole you wuz ,he never would have spoken to you.

Me doth think your bias is showing, o perfect one

Then you think wrong.

Thapae Road between Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank. About 10 meters East of Thapae Soi 1 toward Narawat Bridge. Multi-seat restaurant on the south side of the road. Owner's name is Ek and his wife is Dow. Excellent food. Thai prices. Maybe a little bump up if you're a farang and come alone. Bring a Thai friend, and order off the Thai menu. I've been eating there for years and know the family. I pay Thai prices, but then again, I don't speak English with them either. I speak Thai. Bon Appetit

Thapae Road between Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank. About 10 meters East of Thapae Soi 1 toward Narawat Bridge. Multi-seat restaurant on the south side of the road. Owner's name is Ek and his wife is Dow. Excellent food. Thai prices. Maybe a little bump up if you're a farang and come alone. Bring a Thai friend, and order off the Thai menu. I've been eating there for years and know the family. I pay Thai prices, but then again, I don't speak English with them either. I speak Thai. Bon Appetit

Dual pricing at a resto? boycott.

Dual pricing at a resto? boycott.

Well, go 100 meters up the road and they have a standardized one-pricing system. All expensive.

Speak Thai and order off the Thai menu and you get Thai prices. Speak English and order off the English menu and your still paying 40% less then the restaurants toward Thapae Gate geared for tourists. Those restaurants change 100% to 150% more for the same dish you can buy at the restaurant I mentioned. The difference between a dish ordered in Thai and one ordered in English is about 10 baht. That's Ok. The less farang, the less crowded during lunch.

The only restaurants I boycott are the local street vendors who charge me more when I speak Thai and I know what their prices are for Thais. I know who they are, they know who I am, and we don't meet and eat. Fine by me. I've lived in the Chang Klang ket too long to get gouged by any vendor in that area. Other vendors on the street know me and it's single pricing. I know who they are, they know who I am, and they get my business.

Note to self: Stop offering suggestions.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Edited by connda

Daret House, Soi 9 restaurant, Rattana's Kitchen, Aroon Rai

Daret House was good 7-8 years ago. no more.

I never could understand the hype with Aroon Rai, last time I was in there it looked like cafeteria bus station fare. Many swear by it, but a lot of them don't get farther than 500 meters from Tha Phae Gate.

And Aroon Rai wasn't even good 7-8 years ago, nor 15-20 years ago and that's saying something. Some places just refuse to die for some reason.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I never could understand the hype with Aroon Rai, last time I was in there it looked like cafeteria bus station fare. Many swear by it, but a lot of them don't get farther than 500 meters from Tha Phae Gate.

I've must have walked by that place 100 times over the time I've lived here, and I've never stopped because...it looked like cafeteria bus station fare. Always seem to have customers and a lot of farang. It just doesn't look appetizing.