Thailand's roads second deadliest in the world: World Health Organization

webfact

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in taxi late last night about 3am. The driver was speeding like crazy. I asked him to slow down which he did but only to speed up again a few minutes later. He ran a red light and almost got hit by cars pulling out. Brakes on full and sliding sideways... Total idiot !!! Then came that stupid smile !!! Enough is enough... Let me out ....

They just don't get it !

W.H.O. Reminds me of Thailand's Tourist waffle yappers,only half of the Story, and that's biased to justify expenses to the dim

would you care to point out why you get that impression and where in the report it is?
. That's obvious ,it's part of the U.N. Financially irresponsible ,just like the Tourist Board here. First Class Airlines ,best Hotels etc

W.H.O. Reminds me of Thailand's Tourist waffle yappers,only half of the Story, and that's biased to justify expenses to the dim

would you care to point out why you get that impression and where in the report it is?
. That's obvious ,it's part of the U.N. Financially irresponsible ,just like the Tourist Board here. First Class Airlines ,best Hotels etc

So no argument at all, then?

you're saying that the information put forward on road safety over the past decades is worthless. So how do you know this? who do you source for information that is better than this? What theories/science do you use to determine the relative situations of raod safety around the world?

Edited by cumgranosalum

I think You need to get out the Classroom n Travel. Thailand's by no means the worst place i dont need WHOs info ,ive driven all my life in shit holes like India /Columbia even China is 10 times worse than Thailand....Thailand's quite pleasant imho ,just stay Frosty.But those who can Do , Do,those who cant Teach n Preach theory.

Everything they say needs to be questioned.2nd most dangerous proves they haven't much of a clue.

Really? so how do you know better - you haven't give one iota of rational thought to back up your allegations...rather than slag the messengers,why not check the WHO and say SPECIFICALLY what you think is inaccurate, or what you believe to be wrong

"2nd most dangerous"

WHO - doesn't actually say that - it's a very subjective term - I think you haven't read the report. You appear to be alluding to some media "sound bites" you have read - not least of all on ThaiVisa.

I don’t know why you are so paranoid about the WHO figures either as they are totally transparent and checkable. ...and you have cited no alternative source apart from yourself....not IMO a very impressive source.

in the WHO summary they say

"The African region has the highest road traffic fatality rate "

The summary is headed thus...

"The plateau in road traffic deaths, set against a 4% increase in global population and 16% increase in motorization, suggests that road safety efforts over the past 3 years have saved lives. "

They significantly point out that

"Almost half of all road traffic deaths are among pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists "

..and that....

"Many countries need to strengthen road safety legislation "

They call for “Safe road systems that consider the needs of all road users”

Unlike the simplistic attitudes of so many on this thread they do not suggest that road safety is down to “stupid drivers”

Countries need to address a number of other areas in order to improve road safety. These include improving the quality of their data on road traffic injuries and harmonising data in line with international standards, having a lead agency with the authority and resources to develop a national road safety strategy whose implementation they oversee, as well as improving the quality of care that is available to those who suffer a road traffic injury. “

Essentially the above comments are referring to the 5 “Es”

There are no secrets when gathering the stats; the WHO set up the methodology and training as far as possible - they are of course aware of variations and limitations country by country and they group countries according to their ability/facility to gather figures.

There are 4 groupings

1. Countries with good death registration data

2. Countries with other sources of cause of death information

3. Countries with populations less than 150 000

4. Countries without eligible death registration data

Thailand makes it to group 2.

AND of course if you don’t trust the WHO, their methodologies and figures are open and available for criticism checkable down to the last decimal. They lay out in the appendix the specific methods used in each country.

What they do say is that in the 3 categories of statistics they have studied, Thailand comes second in deaths per 100,000.......

Reported road traffic fatalities (2012) 14 059c (79% M, 21% F)

WHO estimated road traffic fatalities 24 237

WHO estimated rate per 100 000 population 36.2

Estimated GDP lost due to road traffic crashes 3.0%d

It seems that most on this thread are happy just to concentrate on this one figure - of deaths per 100k population. However there are other figures to look at and other factors too.

Firstly there are the figures relating to vehicle kilometres - (usually per billion) - these are not available for many countries outside the developed west.

Then importantly there are the figures relating to deaths per number of vehicles on the roads - Thailand drops down the tables significantly on this one....about 75 on the world tables - but the headline “Thailand number 75 in the world for road deaths” doesn’t make such good reading

......after that there are the other, non-fatality factors involved, casualties, survival rates, seriousness of injuries and recovery and the cost to a nation.....

The report is about a world road safety campaign - and it covers just about all countries; it sets Thailand in perspective along with all the other countries and it seems to me that most of the posts on this thread haven’t read the report or any part of it and rather than find out what it is all about, see it as an opportunity to air their totally baseless prejudices about Thai people’s driving and at the same time completely ignore the very report they claim to be citing.

Edited by cumgranosalum