Looking for high-end kitchen knife shop

junglechef

I own Global, Henckel and Wurstof and many others but for a gift I find the weight and balance of a Japanese knife easier to use for a non-professional.

Also the design and craftsmanship of them make for nice presents.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Central Festival but a city of this size and make-up could use ONE knife specific store if there isn't already one, even most malls in America have them.

Any other suggestions?

(Verasu?? - ???)

Edited by junglechef

... but for a gift ...

... make for nice presents ...

Keep in mind knives can be very special as presents for Thais even though they may be familiar with western style. Maybe you consult your wife first whether even a precious kitchen knife can really bring the expected joy to the person you have in mind. Of course - not an issue in case the lucky person is a westerner.

I speak as somebody who has been "once bitten" ...

... but for a gift ...

Keep in mind knives can be very special as presents for Thais even though they may be familiar with western style. Maybe you consult your wife first whether even a precious kitchen knife can really bring the expected joy to the person you have in mind. Of course - not an issue in case the lucky person is a westerner.

A propos rebo's reply, many consider a knife an unsuitable gift as it may 'sever' a friendship (Feng Shui.) Some cultures will insist that the recipient 'pay' for the knife with a token coin to insure continuing friendship. My grandfather was a butcher, and when he passed away my grandmother gave me his knives, but made me give her 10 cents in exchange, just to insure our relationship.

... but for a gift ...

A propos rebo's reply, many consider a knife an unsuitable gift as it may 'sever' a friendship (Feng Shui.) Some cultures will insist that the recipient 'pay' for the knife with a token coin to insure continuing friendship. My grandfather was a butcher, and when he passed away my grandmother gave me his knives, but made me give her 10 cents in exchange, just to insure our relationship.

Not sure if I have ever heard of such silliness and mid 11th century superstition in my life.

... but for a gift ...

Not sure if I have ever heard of such silliness and mid 11th century superstition in my life.

Isn't ThaiVisa great? You learn something new every day here!

Very interesting, my Mother-in-law is a very old school Thai lady and is a healer and though I never disregarded such practices on one hand (she actually does just lays one hand on her subject to preform her art) I never was 100% convinced until she made pains I had for many years go away with just a few minuets of therapy.

I also have to give her a token payment, which she then donates to the temple, in order for her not to take on the ailments she removed from my body.

As for the present, it's for a couple, he an American who enjoys cooking and she an educated modern Thai woman.

I'm was thinking it was a great idea but now wondering how good of an idea it is.

Very interesting, my Mother-in-law is a very old school Thai lady and is a healer and though I never disregarded such practices on one hand (she actually does just lays one hand on her subject to preform her art) I never was 100% convinced until she made pains I had for many years go away with just a few minuets of therapy.

I also have to give her a token payment, which she then donates to the temple, in order for her not to take on the ailments she removed from my body.

As for the present, it's for a couple, he an American who enjoys cooking and she an educated modern Thai woman.

I'm was thinking it was a great idea but now wondering how good of an idea it is.

Why not ask them how they feel about it? I love receiving knives as gifts, but I'm careful to 'pay' for them as I follow Feng Shui guidelines in my daily life, even if the person who gives them to me does not. It can't hurt, even if they consider me a bit odd.

Edited by FolkGuitar

... but for a gift ...

my mother was the same, i paid her apenny for every knife she gave me to avoid severing the relationship.i have maintained the tradition myself

... but for a gift ...

I agree

I brought some of my good knives here

GF does not like some of them

They have a differant way of thing to us westerners

PS

There is also a Kitchen Suppler up from the bus station on the Highway

Might be worth a look

Edited by Lizard2010

buy online you will be able to choose the maker and quality and save $$

How do you 'feel' which handle is most comfortable, or which blade style has the balance you prefer? The balance point is very different between, say, a Santoku, Puntilla, or French Chef's design.

i had many great cooking knives sent from Europe years ago. my wife won't use them (except the serrated bread knife). she prefers those knives they sell in Thai markets and has many of them in different sizes that she sharpens regularly. i never could get a straight answer from her why she doesn't like good quality knives for cooking.

i'd think twice giving a good knife as a gift here. it may never be used.

My biggest worry/concern is that some people don't know how to use or look after good quality knives. And that not limited to just Asian people.

Years ago I brought a good German set for my parents. I was a bit perplexed (To say the least) when I caught my father out in the shed sharpening the knives on his bench grinder.

I learnt my lesson. If people have never had good quality knives then sometimes it's best to let them carry on with what they've got.

Some years ago we had a lovely Thai woman doing some housework and cooking for us. I heard some banging noise coming from the kitchen one day, walked in to see her sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor with a large tin between her legs, hammering the point of one of my handmade Japanese knives around the edge of the can. I said 'Why don't you use a can opener?' She smiled and replied; "I am!" LOL!

Yes its a bit like when you catch idiots using a chisel as a screwdriver...grrrrrrr! And when in the future they happen to ask me for a chisel I will surely give then a screwdriver .....and it won't be a flat tip either!

Do you have the same strong negative reaction to the related cultural concept of "breaking bread" together?

Nah. Breaking bread is a wonderful thing. It is about fellowship, family, friends, celebrating life, and enjoying the fruits of ones success in life. The other nonsense is about superstition, centuries old tradition (I admit, I am not a big fan of most traditions), and being locked into dark, nearly primeval beliefs that have little to do with reality, and progress.

Tools like many things must be use properly which often includes instruction beforehand especially with dangerous and expensive items such as knife and cars.

My kids know how to handle a knife including how to hand one another by passing the handle end outward.

They have been taught this just as they will learn the proper technique to operate a car when that time comes around.

"How do you 'feel' which handle is most comfortable, or which blade style has the balance you prefer?"

I hold the knife the way I would use it (not by holding just the handle but choking up and grasping the top close end of the blade too) and try to replicate cutting motions etc. A very inexact science as would test riding a Mountain Bike around the block trying to duplicate a off-road scenario.

As for my personal preference I have many knifes for made different purposes but in general prefer a lighter on the smaller size Chef knife for most of the basic cooking.

I find the heavier German one's are bulky and can be tiresome to use for large quantity preparations. The back of the blade of my Wurstof is large and squared off which I find can cause a blister on my forefinger for instance.

I've become partial to the Japanese knifes and really like that their lightness makes them easy to transport.

Maybe this is one of the reasons our Thai partners don't like using European knifes, they are just too big for their hands.

Anyway got a second opinion from Yai and she agreed that a knife was an inappropriate gift for the reasons stated in this thread so thanks for the enlightening me, now what to get for them??

The back of the blade of my Wurstof is large and squared off which I find can cause a blister on my forefinger for instance.

I'm surprised that you haven't taken a piece of emery cloth (or wet/dry sandpaper) and smoothed off the squared edge where your fingers contact the blade. 10 minutes work will solve the problem and have no other effect on the quality of the blade. I had to do this with two of my Wusthof knives and one Henckel knife. Just be careful not to remove too much of the spine's shoulder to keep control of the blade, and only do it where your hand naturally comes in contact so that you still have a sharp-edged spine for shredding garlic and ginger. Using a knife every evening in the kitchen, I won't tolerate one that is uncomfortable to me.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Some years ago we had a lovely Thai woman doing some housework and cooking for us. I heard some banging noise coming from the kitchen one day, walked in to see her sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor with a large tin between her legs, hammering the point of one of my handmade Japanese knives around the edge of the can. I said 'Why don't you use a can opener?' She smiled and replied; "I am!" LOL!

Or myself when an AC guy, (one of the many workmen who curiously show up without basic tools), decides to grab a nice kitchen knife to cut insulation tubing!

The blood tends to boil (still) but what can be said other than Mai Pen Rai? I gave him a Stanley knife. Proper tool for each job right? Never mind it's pointless.

Edited by arunsakda

Anybody know where in CM to buy high quality whet stones? All I have found are very coarse synthetics, useful only for garden tools.

I often just use wet/dry sandpaper to sharpen knives. A few drops of diluted dishwashing liquid will keep it from loading up, you can reprofile with 220 grit, set your bevel with 600 to 800, refine it with 2,000, and comfortably shave with 4,000..... All available in every home center, and you can have a full set for under 100 baht! Do your "steeling" on the bottom of your wife's Pyrex glass baking dish before each use, and your cutlery will perform just the way you dream about! LOL!

If you buy a Global knife,don't drop it on a tile floor. It will break and not covered under warranty. Unlike Henckels or Wusthof who cover for a lifetime.

I advise not dropping any of your knifes on the floor nor driving your car into a tree