Killer Canned Catfood

In the last 3 days,3 of our 5 9 week old kittens have died a painful death, the last food they had was as picture, 29bht from big C this particular can, also a near neighbours 3 kittens have died eating the same, so please avoid this stuff, post-41116-0-06091100-1445536666_thumb.j

There are separate kinds for dogs and cats, though the tins look the same, and you have to read the labels carefully. I have used the dog version ever since it first came on the market (at B.18), and never had any problems. On occasion I have bought the catfood by mistake, and fed it to my dogs without problems.

I think, Lickey, you should complain vigorously to BigC, taking a tin from the same batch, if you still have one, with you. If you go high enough in the management structure, I think you'll find them very concerned.

Would it be possible that the kittens got a virus from this cat [definenitly, it says on tin] food? kitten no4 died today, and no5 is getting lethargic and his 3rd eyelids are showing, syptoms the same as the other 4, they have seen 2 vets now, and had AB injections and saline drip, it does seem strange that the mother cat keeps her distance from them, if they go near her she runs away,

It does seem a coincedence that a near neighbour has also lost 3 kittens from the same food, i really didnt need this on my birthday [today] or any other time really, they have been great company and a given us lots of laughs,,

Happy birthday, Lickey! (the rest of it anyway)

I'm not a cat person, so I can't advise you, but I wouldn't imagine a virus would be able to live in a can of food.... if it was properly sealed. Are you sure it's the food, and not an infection going round the neighbourhood?

this is also what ive been thinking today Issanbirder, the mother has been on heat recently and a few tomcats have visited, also the mother is away at nights sometimes, it could be that the neighbours kittens mother had a visit i suppose by the infected male, kitten no 5 is hanging on by a thread, and now the mother cat is getting a bit docile, so vet for her in the morning,,

ask BIG C if they can have the whole batch checked,if not take a sample of the food to a animal hospital so they can do a test.

could be someone at the factory pressed the wrong button and dog food ended up in the wrong cans.

Meatboy, it had fish pieces in it, yes BuaBs, it comes out of the tin in a sloppy mess,but the kittens seemed to love it, the mother wasnt so keen but she alwals did wait till the kittens had there fill, the kittens are all dead now, we loved a lot, now we are struggling to make conversation, no more pets in our house,

Meatboy, it had fish pieces in it, yes BuaBs, it comes out of the tin in a sloppy mess,but the kittens seemed to love it, the mother wasnt so keen but she alwals did wait till the kittens had there fill, the kittens are all dead now, we loved a lot, now we are struggling to make conversation, no more pets in our house,

What happened to the mother, Lickey? What did the vet say?

The more I think about what you've told us, the more convinced I am that it was an infection (feline enteritis, maybe), and nothing to do with the food.

Yes IB, i thinking also it probaly wasnt the food, it seemed as 1 kitten died the next one sickened and would be dead within 14/18 hours, like a bug needed a new host, the mother was outside as normal last night,but we havent seen her all day, if shes got sick as well, she might have gone off somewhere quiet to die, the kittens shied away from stroking or our comfort towards the end,as if they wanted to be left alone,

I will ask a mod to let me modify my op, cheers,,

I would never feed my dogs any of that crap. The price alone is a giveaway that this stuff is <deleted>.

I feed my dogs on this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hills-Prescription-Diet-Canine/dp/B0030UF49E

Available from our vet at the animal hospital, cost 110 baht for a medium can and I add the same brand dry food with this. Expensive, but it depends on how much you value your pets.

hi lickey has anyone been spraying in your area lately.some of the sprays eg.contains PERMETHRIN is lethal to cats.

What happened to the mother, Lickey? What did the vet say?

The more I think about what you've told us, the more convinced I am that it was an infection (feline enteritis, maybe), and nothing to do with the food.

I agree. What was the vaccination status of the various kittens who died?

Be aware BTW that in rural areas especially Thai vets will often omit the leukemia vaccine. I had one try to tell me there was no feline leukemia in Thailand which is totally untrue. We had an outbreak in my area that wiped out most of the cat population.