Renewing UK Passport Saga

I have a UK passport and it has 4 years left, however just 1 page remaining before it is full. I went to the big office building in Bangkok a month ago with an appointment to renew it and everything was fine until it was time to pay. Silly me handed them cash and they said I couldn't. I don't have credit cards so I was stuck. They gave me a form to hand to a family member to sign to pay on a card and my next appointment is the 30th of Oct.

My question is this. I have just got a double entry Thai tourist visa, will they transfer that over to my new passport? All of the forms and documents they still have at the office building.

Cheers
Tom

when you leave Thailand take the new one and the old one and make sure when you return they put the stamp in the new passport but show the old one to give them proof of the old one.

oh ok thanks a lot for the info wink.png

A couple of years ago I obtained a new South African passport in Bangkok, and when I exited the country a few months later I thought I could just take the old passport with and show them my entry stamp in that passport. They would not allow it however. I had to go to immigration to have the entry stamp transferred to the new passport.

So my situation was a little different, because I did not have any entries left on my visa, so I cannot comment on that part. But you will have to go to the immigration office regardless to get the entry stamp transferred otherwise you will not be able to exit the country.

A couple of years ago I obtained a new South African passport in Bangkok, and when I exited the country a few months later I thought I could just take the old passport with and show them my entry stamp in that passport. They would not allow it however. I had to go to immigration to have the entry stamp transferred to the new passport.

So my situation was a little different, because I did not have any entries left on my visa, so I cannot comment on that part. But you will have to go to the immigration office regardless to get the entry stamp transferred otherwise you will not be able to exit the country.

Not true and totally dependent on how, and on what basis the country was entered.

maybe you had extended your visa inside Thailand

I got a new passport and came an went a few times in and out using both passports, purely because my extension of stay was due a few months down the road and rather than transfer stamps with the old extension etc..on renewal they just put the new extension in the new pp.....no problem

when you leave Thailand take the new one and the old one and make sure when you return

they put the stamp in the new passport but show the old one to give them proof of the old one.

"when you *return*"...

Last time for me they transferred the visa on my new empty passport at Immigration check to *exit* Thailand.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My main issue is that when you fill out all of the forms for the new passport (probably the most annoying forms I have ever filled out) they ask about transferring existing visas etc. At the time I did not need to do that but as I mentioned I had to delay my return to Bangkok to hand in my passport and start the renewal process. Now they have all the forms and the forms do not state I need to transfer any visas. Should I just mention this at the desk in Bangkok? The woman at the British embassy wasn't that competent to be honest either facepalm.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone. My main issue is that when you fill out all of the forms for the new passport (probably the most annoying forms I have ever filled out) they ask about transferring existing visas etc. At the time I did not need to do that but as I mentioned I had to delay my return to Bangkok to hand in my passport and start the renewal process. Now they have all the forms and the forms do not state I need to transfer any visas. Should I just mention this at the desk in Bangkok? The woman at the British embassy wasn't that competent to be honest either facepalm.gif

Thai visas/Stamps etc are NEVER transferred by the UK passport office or the British Embassy.

Visas are in any case never transferred.

It would be best if you asked your local immigration office if anything in the old passport needs transferring to the new one.

Why should the 'woman' at the British Embassy be knowledgeable about Thai visa issues?

The British embassy has nothing to do with new passports these days and even less to do with transferring Thai permission to stay stamps

I thought Trendy issued a standard letter as standard these days, confirming the new pp issue and requesting transfer of the required stamps....so confused what your talking about

• Like 1

Thai visas/Stamps etc are NEVER transferred by the UK passport office or the British Embassy.

It would be best if you asked your local immigration office if anything in the old passport needs transferring to the new one.

Why should the 'woman' at the British Embassy be knowledgeable about Thai visa issues?

oh right, so when I get my new passport I should he'd to the immigration office in Hua Hin (town of residence) and ask them to transfer it over shall I? I am not too clued up on the whole renewing passport business obviously, hence this thread.

The British embassy has nothing to do with new passports these days and even less to do with transferring Thai permission to stay stamps

I thought Trendy issued a standard letter as standard these days, confirming the new pp issue and requesting transfer of the required stamps....so confused what your talking about

They do and I filled all that out, however I went and gave them my documents of where I am staying, proof of income etc but I had to delay the whole thing. They still have all of my documents bar my passport which I have, since then I have a new visa which I did not write on the standard letter, if that makes sense ...

oh right, so when I get my new passport I should he'd to the immigration office in Hua Hin (town of residence) and ask them to transfer it over shall I? I am not too clued up on the whole renewing passport business obviously, hence this thread.

Old passport/New passport...letter (some immigration offices dont want it) small form to fill in and hand over, 15 minutes later all done, and its free

The last time i did this, year before last in BKK ....15 minutes, didnt need any letter (never had it anyway)

Old passport/New passport...letter (some immigration offices dont want it) small form to fill in and hand over, 15 minutes later all done, and its free

The last time i did this, year before last in BKK ....15 minutes, didnt need any letter (never had it anyway)

You mean in the tall trendy office building where you get the elevator all the way to the top? The issue I had was that I did not know you had to pay via wire transfer and had cash. So it has all been delayed until the 30th and now I have a different visa in my passport

You mean in the tall trendy office building where you get the elevator all the way to the top? The issue I had was that I did not know you had to pay via wire transfer and had cash. So it has all been delayed until the 30th and now I have a different visa in my passport

You can pay by credit card as well for your new pp

No i mean Thai immigration, Trendy do not transfer permission to stay stamps from Thai immigration

1. Get your old and new passport & the letter

2. Go to your local Thai immigration dept

3. Fill in the Thai immigration form requesting the trasfer, its a small form takes 30 seconds to fill in

4 hand all your paperwork over the desk to the nice immigration man

5 15 minutes or so and for free they will hand back both PP with the required stamps put in your new PP

• Like 1

You can pay by credit card as well for your new pp

No i mean Thai immigration, Trendy do not transfer permission to stay stamps from Thai immigration

1. Get your old and new passport & the letter

2. Go to your local Thai immigration dept

3. Fill in the Thai immigration form requesting the trasfer, its a small form takes 30 seconds to fill in

4 hand all your paperwork over the desk to the nice immigration man

5 15 minutes or so and for free they will hand back both PP with the required stamps put in your new PP

cheers thanks a lot! Have a good weekend thumbsup.gif

Not true and totally dependent on how, and on what basis the country was entered.

Erm OK, so I must have imagined them sending me back from the border post to the immigration office to have my stamp transferred? And the transfer stamp in front of my passport which I am looking at right now is also just a figment of my imagination...?

Erm OK, so I must have imagined them sending me back from the border post to the immigration office to have my stamp transferred? And the transfer stamp in front of my passport which I am looking at right now is also just a figment of my imagination...?

It being done at a border crossing explains it, I suspect it was at Nong Khai. They have been reported as doing it since the office is just a short distance away.

You only wrote that you were told to go to a immigration office which would imply you were told to go to your local immigration office.

Yes, it was at Nong Khai and I had to get to the local one a couple of KMs away.

Was a nuisance though and the time it took very nearly caused me to miss the morning office hours of the embassy in Vientiane which would have cause schedule problems for the rest of my trip. Which is why I mentioned this , because if you miss an international flight because of this, then the consequence may be worse...

Yes, it was at Nong Khai and I had to get to the local one a couple of KMs away.

Was a nuisance though and the time it took very nearly caused me to miss the morning office hours of the embassy in Vientiane which would have cause schedule problems for the rest of my trip. Which is why I mentioned this , because if you miss an international flight because of this, then the consequence may be worse...

It would not happen at an airport nor at other border crossings.

If you went to an immigration office they would probably turn you away and tell you do it at the airport or border.