Confirmed: Alcohol ban near Thai schools, universities starts TODAY

webfact

Just another example of he that shall be obeyed without question's intellect.

Yet another nail in the coffin of this administration, which is starting to look like an Indian Fakir's bed.

More and more Thai people are being systematically, ( possibly not intentionally), deprived of their living and innocent pleasures.( No BS from the alcohol lobby please)

This can only lead to yet more discontent in a country where its people are being forced into 'happiness'.

NK, here we come, step by step by step.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest Mom 'n Pop shop in my village (where I often stop for a beer) is just across the road from the entrance to the local primary school. Whether the BIB will enforce this rule on this establishment remains to be seen, but if they do there will be some very angry people. So much for this junta bunch 'bringing happiness to the people'.

I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind banning the sale of alcohol just because a primary school is located nearby - how many primary school kids buy alcohol?

When the school closes at 15:30 or whatever and the children all go home, why would it be a problem to sell alcohol. Totally stupid law.

"I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind banning the sale of alcohol just because a primary school is located nearby..."

So sorry, but if it's logic you're looking for you've definitively come to the wrong country.

in my small village near sukho Thai we had a beer opposite a school but for 2 months the bib stopped this,they nearly only sold beer so now they are ,!,,,, well done those in power. The bubble is bubbling.

COPS: "So sorry, but we're going to have to shut you down."

SHOP OWNER: "But my neighbor is 100 meters closer to the school than I am, and you didn't shut him down!"

COPS: "True, but he paid more to the Police House, Car and Mia Noi Foundation."

End of story.

Ban on selling alcoholic drinks near schools takes effect today

1182-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Beginning today, selling of alcoholic drinks is banned at all places located close to schools, colleges and universities. Violation of the ban is subject to 10,000 baht fine, or one year imprisonment, or both.

The selling ban was stated in an Order No 22/2558 announced by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha on October 12 this year.

The order became effective today after it was published in the Royal Gazette and released in public yesterday.

Under the order, selling of alcoholic drinks is prohibited at any places lying close to the educational institutions.

However the announcement does not specify the exact distance between educational institutions and the selling places.

Earlier it has stated a vicinity of 300 metres from educational places, no selling of alcoholic drinks is allowed.

But the order published in the Royal Gazette omitted the 300-metre distance, leaving it for law enforcement officers to determine the term “close”.

Business operator violating the order might have its operation licence revoked by law enforcement authorities.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ban-on-selling-alcoholic-drinks-near-schools-takes-effect-today

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-23

Near:

At or to a short distance away; nearby.

"a bomb exploded somewhere near"

synonyms:close by, close, nearby, close/near at hand, not far off/away, in the neighbourhood, in the vicinity, at hand,within reach, within close range, on the doorstep, within earshot, within sight, a stone's throw away, at close quarters, alongside;

informal within spitting distance, {a hop, skip, and a jump away}, within sniffing distance;

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

BEST NEWS THIS YEAR !

Congratulations to a Responsible, sane Government for introducing this law to rid us of the drunken oafs who have no idea of self control.

May the drunken louts and those idiots who support them, use this opportunity to sober-up...they may live longer and at the same time cause less carnage on our roads.

Edited by Torrens54

wonder how many bars and pubs in sukhumvit will be closed down for being near to schools now? nana? soi cowboy?

I would think none.

Is alcohol on sale today anywhere?

I heard it was a no alcohol sale day too.

Maybe wrong...

Yes you're wrong. But there are rumours that Tuesday 27th might be.

This is pure genius. Studies demonstrate that no Thai person can walk more than 300 meters outside of a mall.

My own plan is to rent an empty space in Sukhumvit and extract Tea money from local bars not to turn it into a school for young impressionable Thai students. tongue.png

An absolutely ludicrous and a law fraught with danger for "Happiness for the people". Another pinprick to the people which after the cushion can't accept anymore pins falls apart and outright revolution occurs. There are existing rules about selling alcohol to minors which are not enforced as the penalty is not adequate to deter. A 200,000 baht fine, 6 months jail and loss of license would fix that.

Another cash reward for the police, disgusting.

Unemployment on the horizon after getting out of school. Now pm is going after student loan debts, copying many of the U.S. tactics adding another burden on these folks. I would rather see funds spent on a marketing campaign about the effects of drug use or drunk driving.

Edited by Praematura

In a bold move to curb the carnage on the roads, that makes Thailand the second most dangerous place in the world to drive, the authorities are mulling banning the colour Brown and the number 11.5.

A spokesman from the Department of Yoghurt Throwing said that this carnage has to stop, we must do something and if we don't get the results, there will be a complete assault on sad colours and confusing numbers. Unfortunately, he could not expand as he had to rush off to a committee meeting which is drafting anti terror legislation, concerning the proper disposal of toe nail clippings.

Edited by Christie Paul

I, for one, am pleased that my 8 year old son will still be able to make his own wine in school for free next year. This will lower my wine bill by several hundred baht per week I expect. Good on ya government! Good ruling!

Those businesses that sell alcohol way after school hours end and the school is closed for the day? Guess they will have to move a bit to show that they are no longer near the school. Since there is no precise number on the distance, a bit will have to suffice, or the police will be abusing their authority. Easy targets for class action suit for all alcohol sellers.

Edited by jmccarty