How much was Chang 15 years ago

juice777

Mom n Pop stores, 4 large bottles, 100 baht.

Wow that was cheap especially with the exchange rate at the time

Can't remember mom and pop shop was that like 7-11

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Glad someone finally brought up the exchange rate.

I first came in Sept 99, 16 years ago, the exchange rate was 59/£ and most bars in Pattaya charged about 60 for the popular beers. Chang was not very common at the time and if you could get it in a bar it was normally 5 baht cheaper. When Carlsberg went, Tiger appeared and Chang became more available. Some of the other beers like Kloster and Singha Gold just seemed to fade away.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember 4 big bottles for 100 Baht when they launched.

Must have been more than that George when they first launched? I can remember when it was 18 baht (large bottle) and that would have been in 1995/96. It had increased to 20/21 baht a large bottle in 1997 when i moved here.

That was Pattaya prices then, but not sure how much it was 15 years ago.....................wink.png

Are you talking about Chang or Carslberg?

From what I remember Chang only appeared after the bust up with Carlsberg.

At the time Chang was being bottled at the Carlsberg brewery, under Carlsberg supervision (I think). They started producing Chang in 1995

Chang was/is based on Carlsberg Elephant beer, which, interestingly enough, was banned from sale in the UK because the alcohol content was too high (8.4 I believe). One of the only good rules to come out of the EU was that this was deemed as unfair practice and to my knowledge can now be bought legally in the UK................... wink.png

Yes I thought that was the alcohol has dropped in it

See I am clever lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He's talking about a different beer. He's also talking nonsense. The connection with Carlsberg came in 2000 or so, years after Chang appeared on the market.

Actually, you are correct with the alliance between Carlsberg & Chang in 2000, which lasted i think for 5 years or so. More to do with the draught beer side of things. But prior to that, there certainly was a relationship.

Perhaps the creation of Chang beer wasn't overseen by the Danes, but that was what i always understood in those days. Having been to the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen many, many times and sampled Elephant beer (the only brew to be sampled only in half pint (small) glasses), i could relate to the high alcohol strength from both.....................wink.png

Carlsberg (Thailand) started brewing in Thailand in 1993, under Chang Beverages Pte. Ltd, the original owners (Singapore company)

Extract from a Bloomberg article:

"Carlsberg Brewery (Thailand) Company Limited produces alcoholic beverage such as beer. The company was founded in 1993 and is based in Bangkok, Thailand. Carlsberg Brewery (Thailand) Company Limited operates as a subsidiary of Chang Beverages Pte. Ltd"

I am not sure that Chang was around 15 years ago (could be wrong but my first recollection of Chang was about 12 years ago in Chiang Mai, it may have been around in Southern Thailand earlier.

You could buy 4 bottles at our local Mom and Pop store for 100 Baht. It's just gone downhill recently with the decrease in bottle size alcohol content and it's new horrible taste.

Chiang has been with us since 1995.

I remember the pre-Chang days

Whatever happened to Kloster!?

I remember 4 big bottles for 100 Baht when they launched.

Must have been more than that George when they first launched? I can remember when it was 18 baht (large bottle) and that would have been in 1995/96. It had increased to 20/21 baht a large bottle in 1997 when i moved here.

That was Pattaya prices then, but not sure how much it was 15 years ago.....................wink.png

. Yep 18Bht ,well done.