How much was Chang 15 years ago

juice777

I've just realised today is the first time I come to Thailand 15 years ago

I have a large beer Chang in my hand at the moment

And for no other reason then curiosity I was wondering how much it was then, it's 55b now from a 7-11

Dose anyone with a better memeroy then me remember the price

I am sure it ant to far from that to tell the truth

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure that Chang was around 15 years ago (could be wrong but my first recollection of Chang was about 12 years ago in Chiang Mai, it may have been around in Southern Thailand earlier.

You could buy 4 bottles at our local Mom and Pop store for 100 Baht. It's just gone downhill recently with the decrease in bottle size alcohol content and it's new horrible taste.

No it was here 15 years ago 100%

It was the first beer I bought

If i remember right the alcohol content wasn't on it then, i herd it wad some where between 5 and 9% depending on the batch, don't know if that is true

My taste buds must be finished because it tast the same to me

Do you think the lower alcohol content is so they can sell it overseas as u can get it in the uk now

I am not sure that Chang was around 15 years ago (could be wrong but my first recollection of Chang was about 12 years ago in Chiang Mai, it may have been around in Southern Thailand earlier.

You could buy 4 bottles at our local Mom and Pop store for 100 Baht. It's just gone downhill recently with the decrease in bottle size alcohol content and it's new horrible taste.

Chiang has been with us since 1995.

No it was here 15 years ago 100%

It was the first beer I bought

If i remember right the alcohol content wasn't on it then, i herd it wad some where between 5 and 9% depending on the batch, don't know if that is true

My taste buds must be finished because it tast the same to me

Do you think the lower alcohol content is so they can sell it overseas as u can get it in the uk now

It's been available in the UK for years. Why would a slight reduction in ABV make any difference, anyway?

Mom n Pop stores, 4 large bottles, 100 baht.

Wow that was cheap especially with the exchange rate at the time

Can't remember mom and pop shop was that like 7-11

A mom & pop store is a term to describe any privately owned 'shop' run by a Thai family (Mum & Dad, Husband & Wife, Mom & Pop).

It could be a street side shack, a shop house or any business that is NOT part of a chain such as 7/11, Family Mart, etc

Marketing reason maybe super tenants had that part of the marcket I don't know

Tennent's Super was 9%
Yes I remember

But ant there some law about u can't sell beer over a certain % in a Club/pub/restaurant

And I know the Americans love piss poor beer is it sold there?

I remember 4 big bottles for 100 Baht when they launched.

Must have been more than that George when they first launched? I can remember when it was 18 baht (large bottle) and that would have been in 1995/96. It had increased to 20/21 baht a large bottle in 1997 when i moved here.

That was Pattaya prices then, but not sure how much it was 15 years ago.....................wink.png

Plenty of bars sell Belgian beers that strength or more. Not that this has anything to do with Chang.

Odd how some seem to see it as some kind of heritage product, when it's just a mass market lager that I probably own clothes older than.

I first visited Thailand 10 years ago last month... it was anything from 25-50bt+ in a bar for a little bottle, I recall around 19-20 in 7-11 and similar. A couple of years later it was 3 big ones (650ml @ 6.5%) for 100bt in my local village store.

Last box I bought (a few days ago) was 550 for 12 (620ml @ 5.5% & tasteless), so 46bt.

I'm trying to find Red Horse (from San Migel) now... (640ml @ 6% and much more taste), but can only find it in Lotus, and usually only a few bottles available at any one time (probably because it's close to a school!!!

Must have been more than that George when they first launched? I can remember when it was 18 baht (large bottle) and that would have been in 1995/96. It had increased to 20/21 baht a large bottle in 1997 when i moved here.

That was Pattaya prices then, but not sure how much it was 15 years ago.....................wink.png

How much was a bottle of Sam song then?

Why was it so cheap in the beginning? It was a really aggressive introduction of the product to the market as is detailed by the following extract (important bits in Red):

Chang: Marketing strategies used by Thai Beer (1991) Company were as follows.
Strategy in Selling Local Liquor Plus with Chang Beer
The company produced Chang beer for distribution in 1995 with an intensity of about 7 degrees by
positioning it lower than Singha beer thus capturing groups of people who had low income (in the lower
market). This marketing strategy was made by compulsion to sell local liquor plus with Chang beer as
Singha beer did and by setting a target to have 10% of the market share from the total beer market valued
at 30,000 million baht in three months (end of 1995).
However, Chang beer was able to grasp such a market share within three weeks due to having distribution
capability of Surathip Group who was an owner of Chieng Chun, Mekhong, and Kwangthong liquor, etc. the
selling of local liquor in a plus with Chang beer resulted in the following matters:
(1) Wholesale price of Chang beer was cheaper than the actual price in the market,
(2) Liquor agents were required to launch beers into the market as rapidly as possible by dumping the price
of Chang beer at 3, 4 or 5 bottles per 100 baht. It was a strategy in the market dumping of Chang beer and was
a market leader that occupied up to 60% of the market share. The strategy of selling local liquor in a plus
with Chang beer had a heavy impact on Singha beer due to the low purchasing power of consumers caused by the
economic crisis. Most of the consumers concentrated on price which was a principal factor in making the decision.
This behavior has continued since the economic crisis in the middle of 1997 which was concerned with price
sensitivity. A little bit of changeno matter up or down reflected in sales volume immediately.
The selling of local liquor plus Chang beer strategy was occasionally higher than one dump of local liquor to be
added with 5 dozens of Chang beer and so on. This pushed market share of Chang beer increased rapidly. Chang beer
occupied a market share of up to 60% owing to the strategy of local liquor selling plus Chang beer compulsion which
was able to be dumped at the lowest price such as 3, 4 or 5 bottles per 100 baht.
The compulsion to sell local liquor plus Chang beer allowed for lower wholesale prices than it should be in the
market complementing the requirement of agents to get cash and for the releasing of Chang beer as quickly as possible
so that the retail price of Chang beer in the market could be dumped at the most lowest level until it was occasionally
only 20 baht or 5 bottles per 100 baht while the minimum price of Singha beer was two bottles per 100 baht.

Why was it so cheap in the beginning? It was a really aggressive introduction of the product to the market as is detailed by the following extract (important bits in Red):

Chang: Marketing strategies used by Thai Beer (1991) Company were as follows.

Strategy in Selling Local Liquor Plus with Chang Beer

The company produced Chang beer for distribution in 1995 with an intensity of about 7 degrees by

positioning it lower than Singha beer thus capturing groups of people who had low income (in the lower

market). This marketing strategy was made by compulsion to sell local liquor plus with Chang beer as

Singha beer did and by setting a target to have 10% of the market share from the total beer market valued

at 30,000 million baht in three months (end of 1995).

However, Chang beer was able to grasp such a market share within three weeks due to having distribution

capability of Surathip Group who was an owner of Chieng Chun, Mekhong, and Kwangthong liquor, etc. the

selling of local liquor in a plus with Chang beer resulted in the following matters:

(1) Wholesale price of Chang beer was cheaper than the actual price in the market,

(2) Liquor agents were required to launch beers into the market as rapidly as possible by dumping the price

of Chang beer at 3, 4 or 5 bottles per 100 baht. It was a strategy in the market dumping of Chang beer and was

a market leader that occupied up to 60% of the market share. The strategy of selling local liquor in a plus

with Chang beer had a heavy impact on Singha beer due to the low purchasing power of consumers caused by the

economic crisis. Most of the consumers concentrated on price which was a principal factor in making the decision.

This behavior has continued since the economic crisis in the middle of 1997 which was concerned with price

sensitivity. A little bit of changeno matter up or down reflected in sales volume immediately.

The selling of local liquor plus Chang beer strategy was occasionally higher than one dump of local liquor to be

added with 5 dozens of Chang beer and so on. This pushed market share of Chang beer increased rapidly. Chang beer

occupied a market share of up to 60% owing to the strategy of local liquor selling plus Chang beer compulsion which

was able to be dumped at the lowest price such as 3, 4 or 5 bottles per 100 baht.

The compulsion to sell local liquor plus Chang beer allowed for lower wholesale prices than it should be in the

market complementing the requirement of agents to get cash and for the releasing of Chang beer as quickly as possible

so that the retail price of Chang beer in the market could be dumped at the most lowest level until it was occasionally

only 20 baht or 5 bottles per 100 baht while the minimum price of Singha beer was two bottles per 100 baht.

Wow I will read that when I am not drunk

those days i would drink 6 large chang a night so cannt rembemberrr price

i developed a sore throat and dr told me to stop drinking chang as was not brewded just a lot of chemicals

i have been drinking leo since no problem but down to 4bottles cheers

those days i would drink 6 large chang a night so cannt rembemberrr price

i developed a sore throat and dr told me to stop drinking chang as was not brewded just a lot of chemicals

i have been drinking leo since no problem but down to 4bottles cheers

Funny you should say that I have got a sore throat at the moment

But don't think it is from chang

Also I think it must be ok 2 drink and not full of chemicals or it would not past UK standards

Unless the uk Chang Is different

Do u smoke?

Are you talking about Chang or Carslberg?

From what I remember Chang only appeared after the bust up with Carlsberg.