Tourist Visa and Return Ticket

Do I really need a return ticket when I apply for a Tourist Visa? Thanks to a misunderstanding on my part with some of the new regulations (and a decreasing exchange rate), I was unable to renew my retirement visa for a third time and had to leave. I need to re-enter on a tourist visa to sort everything out.

• The immigration officer at passport control will not want to see an onward ticket
  • Oncearugge is right that some embassies/consulates ask for tickets when you apply for the visa.

Do you have a visa already and if not which country and which embassy/consulate will you be applying?

Our original intention was to just get Non-Immigrant O visas. We thought that this would be an easy, quick process. We should have known better! We had all the paperwork other than the criminal record reports. These were not needed the first time around when we initially obtained retirement visas a couple of years ago and didn't realize they were required now. There is no way to get them in a day or two so back in we will go with tourist visas. We are in KL and the immigration officer is the one who suggested we re-enter with tourist visas since we can't go the non-o route. I just forgot to ask her about the tickets and we want to finish this tomorrow morning. Thanks for the answers.

Edited by asiacanuck

Our original intention was to just get Non-Immigrant O visas. We thought that this would be an easy, quick process. We should have known better! We had all the paperwork other than the criminal record reports. These were not needed the first time around when we initially obtained retirement visas a couple of years ago and didn't realize they were required now. There is no way to get them in a day or two so back in we will go with tourist visas. We are in KL and the immigration officer is the one who suggested we re-enter with tourist visas since we can't go the non-o route. I just forgot to ask her about the tickets and we want to finish this tomorrow morning. Thanks for the answers.

Where are you applying ? An Embassy , Consulate General, or an Honorary Consulate ?

Criminal record checks are not usually required for an "O" visa?

Are you confusing the requirements for an "O/A" visa with the lesser requirements of an "O" visa?

Edit !

I now see you are in KL!

KL does not issue "O" visas on the basis of "retirement" only O/A visas !

Edited by oncearugge

I don't think you need a booked onward flight when applying at KL. But the website does mention a hotel booking.