Help needed with Linksys modem

cmsally

Provided the answers are yes, and yes, and that both of your ethernet cables are known to be good, then I would re-start the installation procedure following the WRT54G User's Guide, Chapter 3, page 10...

Step number 1:

1. Before you begin, make sure that all of your network’s hardware is powered off, including the Router, PCs, and cable or DSL modem.

:o I think TRUE cable must have something that has to be specially set, as I did all the software and cable connections correctly. I'm trying to access my modem to see how it was set up and what IP address it uses but the

configuration should be at 192.168.100.1 and that brings up nothing.

On the cmd line run IPCONFIG /ALL

and note the address for the gateway.

That is the address you need in your browser to access the modem directly.

Usually 192.168.1.1 , but could be 192.168.0.1

Uh Oh! No number remotely like that

By the way I was able to access my modem configuration on 192.168.100.1

only after I disconnected from internet

The IP address for modem (on configuration site) doesn't seem to fit anything below :o

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-e8fb4372fe

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap

ter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-11-C5-D9

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.49.150

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.48.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.110.17.61

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.144.255.71

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:43:48

AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:27:4

3 AM

PPP adapter true:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.91.194.219

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 61.91.194.219

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.144.255.71

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same router, a Linksys WRT54G v.3, and I was experiencing the same issue. It would not connect to my ISP here in Chiang Mai, True Cable DSL. I was using the exact settings as my other (non-wireless) router and that one works fine.

I brought the router with me from the US and never used it there prior to setting it up here. I was dumbfounded as to why it would not work here as it is brand new. Could it be bad right out of the box? I flashed the firmware with the latest from Linksys. This had no effect. It still would not connect to TRUE.

I was following this thread and saw the post from Penguin about third party firmware from DD-WRT for the WRT54G. I figured that I might as well try flashing it with that firmware as it sure wasn't working with the installed firmware from Linksys. What can it hurt? A brick is a brick.

I downloaded the bin files from DD-WRT for my Linksys model and flashed it twice. (When upgrading from the Linksys firmware they recommend flashing to the "mini" first and then up to the "standard" versions of the firmware.)

After the reboot of the router I then input my settings (username, password, service name: "true") and tried to connect. Still no work!

So then I started to inspect the new features of the DD-WRT firmware. There were many additional fields the Linksys firmware did not have. Two of these were radio buttons labeled "Use RP PPPoE" and "STP." They are located just below the user name and password fields. I selected ENABLE "Use RP PPPoE" and DISABLE "STP" on these two radio buttons. (These were two settings not previously available on the Linksys.)

I nearly fell out of my chair when it connected. The router is now working.

NOTE:

I looked up "RP-PPPoE" and learned that it is a PPPoE client for Linux and Solaris systems to connect to PPPoE service providers. I am NOT running Linux or Solaris. All I know is that my connection to TRUE fails if I do not have this setting ENABLED. I am unable to find the definition of "STP."

I hope what I have written helps the OP (and anyone else who happens across this).

Penguin: Big thanks for the info on DD-WRT. I was about to give up on this box.

I am unable to find the definition of "STP."

STP is short for Spanning Tree Protocol, invented by a former work colleague ages ago. Essentially it is an algorithm that identifies and disables looped paths in a complex network.

The RP in PPPoE stands for Roaring Penguin, a developer of the PPPoE client for Linux systems.

The Linksys should offer PPPoE as an option.

I noticed, on this thread that Linksys has released firmware that "Resolves PPPoE lock up issue".

I guess it might help if the OP can provide the hardware version (should be on the bottom of the unit associated with the model number: WRT54G ver. n), and the firmware revision (should be on the main set-up screen [192.168.1.1] in the far upper right hand corner of the screen: Firmware Version: n.nn.nnn, {note that the HW version is also on this screen}.