73-year-old German man falls from Pattaya condominium to death

Jonathan Fairfield

Maybe the final call was to his banker or broker?

Going out naked as the day you came into the world is sort of a fitting end.

Hats off to the guy--he controlled his own destiny all the way to the end.

You say suicide was a good thing he did? Wow, your unbalanced then also.

Hey Chuckles, maybe the call was from his doctor who told him that he was in Stage 4 Cancer.

We don't know why the guy made the decision he did, but I am not going to be so arrogant as to say I know more about the decisions the deceased should have made than he did.

I am about his same age and I certsinly don't want someone nosing into my business and telling me what ai should do and not do. So I give the same respect for others.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......don't bother investigating any of the other parties involved....

....the foreigner is 'gone'....done with.....

...nobody has to answer for anything that might have preceded this terrible event....

What other parties?

I didn't read he had guests in the room.

Please enlighten us.

Certainly, a good percentage of these suicides are related to objective rational reasons of terminal illness, common enough in older people. It's a shame that the legal option of humane medical suicide isn't advancing in Thailand as it is in some other countries. Jumping is so aggressive, it does the job but it literally impacts on others who see the results.

He was German, and suicide is not legal in Germany

That final phone call is the key to the mystery, the spike that sealed the coffin. Odds are, the voice speaking at the other end of the line was female.

I assure you that at the age of 73 we are long over getting worked up about women.

What matters to us is our quality of life so the only way it matters if the caller was female is if she was our broker, banker or physician.

Or maybe the guy just learned that his only child died...or any one of seversl other very legitimate reasons.

The fact he jumped suggests it was somewhat "sponteneous". Usually if it is a decision well thought out then an OD on pharma is a much better choice for obvious reasons.

"Hats off to the guy--he controlled his own destiny all the way to the end. "

And if anyone were standing directly beneath at ground level or had parked his car there, "the guy" would have controlled his destiny as well.

"Hats off to the guy--he controlled his own destiny all the way to the end. "

And if anyone were standing directly beneath at ground level or had parked his car there, "the guy" would have controlled his destiny as well.

True.

The photo suggests he landed between two cars, unless the damage to one of them is simply out of view.

Personally, I would not risk jumping unless I was atleast 15 stories up. Yes, I am well aware a person can die from a 2-meter fall but why take chances?

another dodgy death in the los a 73 year old german chose to throw himself off his 8th floor condo after supposedly talking to someone on his mobile phone which was later found smashed ?

I have no idea what your post is attempting to suggest. Could you try again?

another dodgy death in the los a 73 year old german chose to throw himself off his 8th floor condo after supposedly talking to someone on his mobile phone which was later found smashed ?

I have no idea what your post is attempting to suggest. Could you try again?

My guess: Farangs are immortal ergo anytime one dies in Thailand it's a "dodgy death."

Sounds very similar to the opening scene in the hollywood/Cruise movie .... Collateral.

He's obviously had some very bad news. and smashed his phone. My money is on a Thai female laughing and telling him to take a look at himself naked in the mirror. His dreams of retirement in paradise are all over. Money probably gone as well.

Whats that Thai camerman wearing in the basement? Are they jeans ? LOL

Edited by jalansanitwong

Phones make me mad some times but not that mad.

Darned right, those phones and sims should be registered. Maybe even a license or a bond paid in advance to use them. Perhpas 800,000 baht in the bank or something along those lines.

A man has died under tragic circumstances. Some may find this an opportunity to make jokes about his phone, etc. The real tragedy is that type of dark humour.

His family will hopefully not see the tasteless posts from the lower life forms.

Firstly let me say i doubt any of his familly read Thai Visa , and making light of things ,well most of us are getting on and coming to the end part of the ride ,so we do tend to make light of things like this ,unlike if we were young bloods its just our way of coping with the inevitable , oh and by the way ,shame he landed on a car , very thoughtless.wink.png

In tracing the person spoke to on the the phone I am not suggesting anything sinister...

But I feel the BiB should understand what happened in his last few minutes of life to establish he was not helped off the balcony, there is no need to publicly state who he was talking to and what was said but I am sure if there were more facts as to why it may bring closure nearer for his kin folk and friends.

Sounds very similar to the opening scene in the hollywood/Cruise movie .... Collateral.

He's obviously had some very bad news. and smashed his phone. My money is on a Thai female laughing and telling him to take a look at himself naked in the mirror. His dreams of retirement in paradise are all over. Money probably gone as well.

Whats that Thai camerman wearing in the basement? Are they jeans ? LOL

He was 73 years old.

I can assure you he has already looked in the mirror and long since made the conclusion himself and could care a less what the Thai lady had to say about his physique because he knows that that same Thai lady will still jump into bed with him if he asks...every time.

You young guys just don't get it, us old guys don't suffer from your vanity issues.

Cheers

In tracing the person spoke to on the the phone I am not suggesting anything sinister...

But I feel the BiB should understand what happened in his last few minutes of life to establish he was not helped off the balcony, there is no need to publicly state who he was talking to and what was said but I am sure if there were more facts as to why it may bring closure nearer for his kin folk and friends.

OK but I stand by my premise that any such phone call was private.

If the call was from his physician then it was protected and confidential information.

If it was his attorney then the same.

Do you really think his banker is going to divulge anything?

No one in any professional capacity is going to disclose the nature of the call.

Do you really think that if the call was so important that it resulted in a guy jumping to his death that the other party is going to admit to anyone what was obviously sensitive information?

i certainly would not provide any detsils to anyone if I was the last caller. If the dead guy wanted his family to know then it would have been his business to tell them--not mine. I would hope my friends practice a similar discretion.

Cheers

Perhaps he was trying to phone for help to protect him from the person(s) in, or trying to enter his room by force. They smashed the phone to stop this, then threw him off the balcony.

Case closed.

Maybe the deceased was a member of the Stasi back in the day and these unknown and unidentified assailants you speak of were settling an old score.

OR more likely the German gentleman just decided that his time on this earth was fully lived.

And I respect his decision. When you get a bit older you will have seen many of those close to you suffering in a hospitsl or retirement home that smells like piss and maybe you will say, "Not going to be me" and just maybe you will actually have the guts to follow through as this fellow did. Nothing Hollywood about it--just the realities of life that a fair number of old guys experience here in LOS.

Edited by ClutchClark

WHY do you jump to your death naked?

That seems a little strange to me.

Not really , it's hot in Thailand, maybe he was on medication , he couldn't sleep , he had nothing to live for and jumped. The problem with news reports like this is that there is never a follow-up story so we will never find out .

sadf. and how and why so many foreigners jumps of the balcony in Pattaya? and in Phuket they hangs themselves I wonder??

More low-rise buildings in Phuket. More high-rise buildings here.

I seem to remember reading that falls from below 10 stories are often not fatal.