Immigration crackdown: Thousands of foreigners charged for illegally entering Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Thousands of foreigners charged for illegally entering country

BANGKOK:-- More than 9,000 foreigners were busted for illegally entering the country - four of them wanted by Interpol - during a weeklong police crackdown that finished Sunday.

Police said of the 9,265 foreigners napped, 9038 had been charged with violating the Immigration Act 1979, 18 for violating the Criminal Code and 209 were charged in accordance with other laws.

The arrests include Kristina Monka, 23, a Russian wanted by Interpol on fraud charges, was arrested on Wednesday.

Grigory Lyaskov, 24, a Russian wanted by Interpol on fraud charges, was arrested along with Kristina.

Working as a bank manager in Russia, it is alleged Kristina transferred Bt4 million from a client's account to her secret account and Bt945,000 to Grigory's account.

Russian police issued arrest warrants and cancelled their passports and sought Interpol's help in arresting them.

Immigration Bureau police arrested them in Pattaya.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-25

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A week long crackdown that ended today, with more than 9000 arrested? How is it possible that nobody knew anything and that this story is only breaking now?

To find all these people who were charged, immigration surely had to have encountered enough legitimate foreigners in this crackdown that averaged more than 1000 arrests per day.

Where are more than 9000 being detained?

Edited by bino

Something sounds fishy/wrong about this story....over 9000 over one week which was this week. And the crackdown ended today but they are also reporting numbers today...seems like the earliest the final reporting would occur is tomorrow/Monday. Plus it seems like if this many people were getting arrested over such a short period we would have heard about it before now.

For those figures to be correct i would assume there has been a crackdown with surrounding countries labour forces coming across the borders going on at the same time.

Either that or there really is a huge immigration problem, considering those figures are only the ones caught..........................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth

So the Russians may have done what many Thai bankers do. Steal money then flee to another country?

That was a bad example to bring up...ha ha ha. And that 9000 people that wont be spending money here. So what! Hundreds of thousands of Cambodians and Lao are here with no money ? doing Thai work for half the price..stupid

Entered illegally - How?, and how would they then be tracked down?

Is it possible that the majority are overstayers?

Something doesn't seem right with this news somehow

Ed visa with no education involved, multiple tourist visa...

I believe you are correct and chronic overstayers will be the next to be cracked down upon

So the Russians may have done what many Thai bankers do. Steal money then flee to another country?

That was a bad example to bring up...ha ha ha. And that 9000 people that wont be spending money here. So what! Hundreds of thousands of Cambodians and Lao are here with no money ? doing Thai work for half the price..stupid

Why is it Pattaya gets all the quality tourists !! whistling.gif

When you cater to people who need to pay for sex, you get a lot of tourist who need to pay for sex.

Maybe that is why???

Or may be because people with money go to fun places, instead of farms in the middle of the jungle

9,000 for someone educated in Thailand could be anywhere between 5 and infinity.

Whats the chance the number was just made up to enable an impressive announcement.

When to we find out that the corrupt immigration officers who allowed the aliens to enter have been arrested and charged.

Burmese, Cambodians, Lao, Vietnamese?

Not really. Look at the photo.

Also very strange they are all wearing black t-shirts from immigration. Have all 9,000 received a black t-shirt?

The whole story sounds strange to me.

They are everywhere. Have been saying this for years. Pissed off numerous TV posters in the past. Looks like i was correct all this time.cheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gif

Good they have had a crackdown. Just shows how many scum bags are in the country

Well done.......did you inform the Thai authorities, in the past about all these illegals?

They are everywhere. Have been saying this for years. Pissed off numerous TV posters in the past. Looks like i was correct all this time.cheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gif

Good they have had a crackdown. Just shows how many scum bags are in the country

we all know there are more illegal than legal especially in Pattaya

Thousands of foreigners charged for illegally entering Thailand

Actually 9038 from India, Bangladesh and Africa were charged with OVERSTAYING, not illegal entry, according to the OTHER Bangkok newspaper website. I will miss them.

Edited by aguy30

I just got back from a trip to Nong Khai, there's a river a few hundered miles long separating Laos and Thailand. I'm sure if somebody wanted to cross they could easily find someone with a boat that would take them across for a few dollars.

I've accidentally gone from the U.S. to Canada while fishing more than once, Mounties never caught me. Maybe the people here illegally didn't fly into BKK and show their passport?

9,000!!!

Jesus.

One has to ask how 9,000 were allowed to enter illegally in the first place.

Clearly Immigration has no idea what the hell is going on.