where to buy a decent bike in udon thani?

thuna

hi

i'm looking for a good shop to buy a bike in udon thani which will carry me through isaan (along the mekong to ubon ratchathani) for three weeks (that is, i need need a rack, lights, decent gears).

ideas anyone?

thanks!

tina

Hi Tina

Check out the bike shop located just down the street from Central Plaza at the 5 way intersection. The owner - Peter a friend of mine is a cyclist and speaks English. The shop is a bit crowded but I'm sure Peter will be able to set you up in a bike that suits you. You can also find additional bike shops on www.bicycle Thailand.com.

Good luck with your upcoming ride.

That would be difficult since prices vary greatly. Peter has bikes in just about any price range. The least expensive range of bikes would probably be his LA Bike brand. You can take a look at these bikes on line at www.labike.com. I would assume you're going to need a bike you can install a rack for panniers etc to hold your belongings or are you planning to hold everything in a backpack which can be a bit uncomfortable when the sun starts heating things up. The shop is closed today but will open again on Monday. Talk with Peter about your desires and I'm sure he'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

hi all

THANKS for all the helpful remarks. yes i'm also trying udonmap.

and thanks for the hint with the mirror. what about dog chases, or any other things that might be good to know?

tina

Edited by thuna

Dogs are a big problem here in Thailand because they are running loose all over the place. When confronted by dogs I normally stop pedaling (coasting) and spray them with some water from my water bottle. That will usually stop them. You can also try to out run them which is not too difficult. I have also had a good deal of luck by turning around and chasing them. Much will depend on what kind of road you're on (2 lane vs 4 lane heavy traffic vs light). The road you are talking about riding (along the river) can be quite busy at times so be careful.

Another hint: don't forget to to take some Immodium anti-diarrhea medicine with you.

Ah! Ah! Mike a great hello to u ;

About dogs I speak lao with them:

Bo khin farang, bo sep cheesy.gif ;

Don't eat farang, it's not good .

Yes, the price of a good bicycle begins at about 15,000 baht ;

Don't forget little lights , not for cycling in the evening or the night unless you want to die rapidly but to be seen .

A red one for the back and a white one in the front .

and about tyres, ask the seller to change them for bald ones