Alternatives To Thailand ?

rexall

Mon 02 Oct 06, 7:58 p.m.

Where to go when staying in Thailand becomes too much of a pain in the ass ???

Witness the seven pages (and growing) replies to the post about the so called "shakeup" in visa regulations and other restrictions and red tape necessary to stay in Thailand on a long-term basis. Some people will undoubtedly have to leave because they can no longer meet the requirements. Others may choose to leave because although they may be able to meet the requirements, the process has become too burdensome and the climate of uncertainty and insecurity too uncomfortable to deal with.

Some people have talked about Malaysia being less restrictive and more welcoming. Others describe the process in the Philippines as involving less red tape. We know that Cambodia is easy (but who can say for how long that will be the case?) and lacking in infrastructure and Western amenities (no international ATMs for example). ]

I would be interested to hear others experiences and opinions on possible alternatives to Thailand as a long-stay destination. I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year!

Aloha,

Rex

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mon 02 Oct 06, 7:58 p.m.

Where to go when staying in Thailand becomes too much of a pain in the ass ???

Witness the seven pages (and growing) replies to the post about the so called "shakeup" in visa regulations and other restrictions and red tape necessary to stay in Thailand on a long-term basis. Some people will undoubtedly have to leave because they can no longer meet the requirements. Others may choose to leave because although they may be able to meet the requirements, the process has become too burdensome and the climate of uncertainty and insecurity too uncomfortable to deal with.

Some people have talked about Malaysia being less restrictive and more welcoming. Others describe the process in the Philippines as involving less red tape. We know that Cambodia is easy (but who can say for how long that will be the case?) and lacking in infrastructure and Western amenities (no international ATMs for example). ]

I would be interested to hear others experiences and opinions on possible alternatives to Thailand as a long-stay destination. I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year!

Aloha,

Rex

I'll be staying in Thailand ......

and Cambodia has ATM's in PP (Canada bank and a NZ bank)

I am giving a lot of thought to the Philippines. Since I am married to a Filippina, visa stays are minimal problem and I am entitled to work simply by registering with the Department of Labor.

Phillipines has great beaches, but is a more frustrating and more dangerous place to live.

Phillipines has great beaches, but is a more frustrating and more dangerous place to live.

I GO SOMETIME TO PHILLIPINE,WAHT YOU SAID IS TRUE!!! ITS more dangerous and infrastructure not so good.

on the other hand, the people are much more educated in the phillipines ( thats why everybody wants phillipino workers overseas), visas are easy, and then THE NATURE OF PHILLIPINES AND THE BEACHES ARE EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL EVEN IN THINGS OF CLEANLESS ( NO PLASTICRUBISH AROUND) LIKE IN THAIALND.THE livingcosts are cheap.

the only problem is that what you mentioned, and thats the point why i until now not consider the phillipines........................

but ist is an alternativ...................................................................

I am giving a lot of thought to the Philippines. Since I am married to a Filippina, visa stays are minimal problem and I am entitled to work simply by registering with the Department of Labor.

I've lived in the Philippines for 5 years, and now 1 year in Thailand. I live with my Filipino girlfriend.

What can be more frustrating than a solid language and religious barrier. Thais have zero concept of anything that is not Thai. I've never been more frustrated in my life than trying to communicate with these people that just don't like us and have no interest in anything but the money.

Filipinos genuinely like foreigners and are excited to see them and communicate with them. It won't be long before I head back again.

In the Philippines visa runs are only required once a year, and in that time you would have to make 6 visits to an Immigration Office for a 59 day extension costing around P2000. The whole year would end up costing just under 9000 baht. The Immigration Office I used could usually process my extension in 30 minutes or less, so the total time spent for the whole year was around 3 hours.

I've lived in the Philippines for 5 years, and now 1 year in Thailand. I live with my Filipino girlfriend.

What can be more frustrating than a solid language and religious barrier. Thais have zero concept of anything that is not Thai. I've never been more frustrated in my life than trying to communicate with these people that just don't like us and have no interest in anything but the money.

Filipinos genuinely like foreigners and are excited to see them and communicate with them. It won't be long before I head back again.

I have had most thais what to come and speak to me, and I come from the states. Of course the language barrier but some are curious about a person from another country. :o

I love how when the Government of Thailand wants to change things, then some Farangs don't like it. But they want at the first chance want to find another country as soon as the country they supposedly love decides they want to change things. :D

how about the UK

a welcome in a thousand languages

free housing and hospitalisation, along with schooling.

crime on the way down and under control, no name calling, no sense of humour left, no smiling

[ could be mistaken for a smirk ]

sorry about that, but on a more serious note

i've had a few friends saying about vietnam, as an up and coming destination is getting better year by year.

Life here in Italy is good. Lots of Brits and Americans retiring here.

Great weather (absolutely whacks the weather in Thailand)

Great culture- probably the greatest on the planet.

Great food

Fantastic looking women (and fantastic looking men, maybe not a good thing if you can't stand the competition)

Cheap land and housing (that you can own)

Free Medical and Social Services for all EU citizens

The list goes on.

Of course its not as cheap as Thailand, but then you get what you pay for.

Any good places in India, i hear its cheap, how are the birds?

My mother visited friends in the north of India (Simla) two years ago. She says there is quite a large expatriate community, mainly people who, like my mother, where in India prior to 1947 returning for retirement. But also quite a lot of people who were in other parts of the empire, particularly Rhodesia it seems.

Its certainly cheap and I understand that high up in the mountains there is some fabulous bird life - particularly eagles.

Any good places in India, i hear its cheap, how are the birds?

My mother visited friends in the north of India (Simla) two years ago. She says there is quite a large expatriate community, mainly people who, like my mother, where in India prior to 1947 returning for retirement. But also quite a lot of people who were in other parts of the empire, particularly Rhodesia it seems.

Its certainly cheap and I understand that high up in the mountains there is some fabulous bird life - particularly eagles.

:o:D

My plan for the forseable is.................to stay home! living too much in 3rd world toilets HAS made me appreciate this place a lot more. Not perfect by any stretch, but it's "home".

Plus what is in effective a "visa regime" means we keep the "riff raff" out :o

Long term? who knows.........quite fancy going sailing around the Med or further for a few years or so, Thailand?? possible, but I can't really see it. No longer "cheap enough" to compensate for being not "good enough", and besides I just don't drink enough anymore to make it interesting for me. Eventually I wouldn't mind New Zealand for a few years............or longer.

Of course the Missus might (??!!!) have other ideas!

Went to the PI once, just not safe enough:-

A love of guns from the Americans;

An excitable nature from the Spanish;

"face issues" from being Asian;

A corrupt law enforcement regime, self made;

And extreme poverty.........courtesy of everyone.

Great food

Fantastic looking women (and fantastic looking men, maybe not a good thing if you can't stand the competition)

The list goes on.

Great food

The list goes on.

Perhaps you are neither self-employed or employed locally, which might explain your rose-tinted spectacles regarding Italy. :o

To be brutally honest, I am now only staying here as I have bothered to learn the language and am getting too old to learn another. This latter laziness is also being outweighed by laziness to conform with the latest edict (now seemingly weekly) [snip]. Maybe another set of bloody dictionaries should be on order...

Edited by Admin2

What can be more frustrating than a solid language and religious barrier. Thais have zero concept of anything that is not Thai. I've never been more frustrated in my life than trying to communicate with these people that just don't like us and have no interest in anything but the money. hours.

There's only a religious barrier to those who don't have a basic understanding of Buddhism and only a language barrier to those who aren't willing to learn Thai. It's a bit rich living in a country that, by and large, is Roman Catholic and speaks Tagalog complaining about a Buddhist country that speaks Thai.

Am I allowed to say the word 'prostitutes' on this board? Just in case, I won't say it again.

I live in Pattaya:

It's not for the dirty beaches. No.

It's not for the renowned corrupt police. No.

It's not because many expats here can't afford to live elsewhere this comfortably. No.

It's not because the city attracts the scum of the earth who are often rude, ugly, and drunks. No.

It has to do with something else but I don't want to sound like a broken record....:o

Am I allowed to say the word 'prostitutes' on this board? Just in case, I won't say it again.

I live in Pattaya:

It's not for the dirty beaches. No.

It's not for the renowned corrupt police. No.

It's not because many expats here can't afford to live elsewhere this comfortably. No.

It's not because the city attracts the scum of the earth who are often rude, ugly, and drunks. No.

It has to do with something else but I don't want to sound like a broken record....:D

I love the avatar, is it because of that :o

Great food

The list goes on.

Agree with everything, except women...the only beautiful italians I've seen were on tv, but in clubs, restaurants, streets and shopping malls...nada