Alternatives To Thailand ?

rexall

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Word has it that the Australian govenment has just done some multi billion dollar deal with Cambodia.

Something along the lines of "We will give you $xxx billion and rebuild your country for you, in exchange you give us the mining rights to your country" Word is the Cambodians have said yes.

Apparantly there is a big rush now for Aussies setting up bars and stuff to cater for the influx of falangs.

The prick might have been winding me up so if any Aussies out there know otherwise it would be interesting to hear from you.

My mate terry will know coz hes a man of the world with his eyes and ears close to the dirt, whats the crack Tez ?

Im all for there being somewhere else a bit closer to home to go to for a holiday, Philippines is becoming boring now !

oops, sorry about that.

anyway tax,

here's the good oil and some top inside information coming your frigging way my top little pommy bleeding mate, :o

look mate,

you got to be careful off those bloody aussies mate as there all a bit bonkers from all that ###### sun.

you know about the ozone layer don't you ? and how its shrinking all over the world and people are getting all fry-ed up. ?

well the ozone layer over aussie is kangaroo edward mate and all the aussies have gone barking mad down there so don't believe a word they say as they all need to be institutionalized.

i got to tell you the strait up frigging truth tax and that is,

steer well clear of them aussies and if you don't believe me ask larcoste. :D:D:D:D

cheers mate. :D

now of you go to the rubbery dub dub and have a nice little drink. :D

My mate terry will know coz hes a man of the world with his eyes and ears close to the dirt

Terry knows all. :D

well not quite everything mr G but my mate tax talks it up a bit for me. :D

if you need some help mr G don't be afraid to ask as your a good fella in my books. :D

cheers mr G. :D

i'm feeling all touchy feel'y tonight so if you want to slag me off its ok. :o

but only for tonight ok. :D:D

One BIG thing I have seen here in the Kingdom is that the Thais are amazingly perceptive. If you go somewhere and have an attitude you will be ignored because the Thai people can sense it. If you have an inquisitive look and a smile you will get talked to death.

Have you ever thought that the problem may be with you and that people try to avoid talking to you or even acknowledging your presence because of your attitude?

Yes, I'll have to admit that the majority of my experience in Thailand is in Bangkok and Pattaya. I'm a tourist. I have no plans to marry or live here permanently and I'm offering my experiences as a tourist in Pattaya.

Just a small example: At my local 7Eleven and Family Mart stores the staff are so incredibly rude (unfriendly) that they never say a single word to me....and there's usually 3 or more staff in there. Never thank you, never hello (in Thai or English). Even when I make an effort to speak Thai, they don't respond...they don't even look at me. I'm a normal well dressed, friendly type of guy in my late 40's.

I've never struck this in ANY country I've been to in my entire life.

They're even friendlier in Paris!

If this is a local problem, I'm pleased to hear it...but for me, I don't like it and it really pisses me off when I make an effort to speak another language and you meet such coldness.

In the Philippines, I've never had this in 7 years,only beaming smiles where ever I go...tourist resorts or normal provincial areas.

Of course when I'm shopping in a market in Pattaya, they'll talk and often too much. When there's money involved, they'll make an effort.

My mate terry will know coz hes a man of the world with his eyes and ears close to the dirt

if you need some help mr G don't be afraid to ask as your a good fella in my books. :D

I'm not slagging you off. Just joshing around. :D

you have a very good point about attitude gary as i always approach the thai with a smile and a nod.

i really like the thai people so i feel that i give out a good vibe and the thai always respond to me in kind.

last time i was in los i was at texaco at on nut .

i'm standing there reading the daily specials and this older thai guy just come up and started chatting.

he was well dressed , well spoken and turned out he teach-ed at a university. his interest was crocodiles and when he found out i was an aussie we just chatted about crocodiles for at least an hour.

he was a very nice fellow and we enjoyed each others conversation.

i've had this happen to me many times were a thai will just pick me out for a chat.

don't know what it is but i'm sure they can sense that i genuinely like them. :D

cheers :o

yes i know your not slagging me off mr G but tonight's the night if anybody wants to, as i'm flying into los on tuesday and i'm happy as a blowfly on a soi dogs arse at the moment. :D

don't know what it is but i'm sure they can sense that i genuinely like them. :D

There are jerks, and ass***les all over the world, and if you come on like one, you will be treated as such.

I've done quite a bit of traveling besides Thailand, and rarely have had a bad experience, none in Thailand.

Like you Terry, I treat people how I want to be treated, a smile, and get one back.

Terry knows all.

yes i know your not slagging me off mr G but tonight's the night if anybody wants to, as i'm flying into los on tuesday and i'm happy as a blowfly on a soi dogs arse at the moment. :D

If you're in Chiang Mai, PM me Terry.

I would like to meet you. :D

Terry knows all.

well not quite everything mr G but my mate tax talks it up a bit for me.

if you need some help mr G don't be afraid to ask as your a good fella in my books.

cheers mr G.

If you're in Chiang Mai, PM me Terry.

I would like to meet you. :D

will do mr G and i do appreciate your friendly offer.

chock dee cup to you. :D

you have a very good point about attitude gary as i always approach the thai with a smile and a nod.

i really like the thai people so i feel that i give out a good vibe and the thai always respond to me in kind.

i'm standing there reading the daily specials and this older thai guy just come up and started chatting.

he was well dressed , well spoken and turned out he teach-ed at a university. his interest was crocodiles and when he found out i was an aussie we just chatted about crocodiles for at least an hour.

i've had this happen to me many times were a thai will just pick me out for a chat.

you didn't go out again wearing the leather chaps with the butt cheeks cut out did you?

cheers :D

you didn't go out again wearing the leather chaps with the butt cheeks cut out did you?

no i didn't need them that day so you can come and take them home again as you must be missing them by now. :o

besides that all your boy friends tell me you wear them better than me. :D:D:D:D

Have you ever thought that the problem may be with you and that people try to avoid talking to you or even acknowledging your presence because of your attitude?

Gary, you would do well to read posts before you make stupid comments.

I've already stated that I'm a seasoned world traveller and my observations have nothing to do with my attitude.

Take off your blinders.

i suggest you get your arse out of pattaya and meet some real thai that arent so affected by mass tourism.

cheers

Yes, I may have to take your advice and get my ass out of Pattaya for a while. It seems the Thais here do very well financially and have a certain arrogance about them.

Any suggestions?

It may not be such a helpful answer, but I'd say if you go anywhere outside of Pattaya you'll encounter smiling, friendly, helpful, nice Thai people. I've been to most places in Thailand, but not Pattaya, and find that this is the norm everywhere else. The experience you've described is not one I've had anywhere, apart from one exception - the only place in Thailand I've been to where the Thais are a bit rude and grumpy is Khao San Road, so it seems that maybe any really heavily touristed place wears the Thais down a bit and makes them unhappy.

My journey to work in the morning (Ari to Silom, in Bangkok) is made so much more pleasant by the friendly attitude I encounter from most people.

my quote: Or you can invest in Brasil PR program for 50,000USD. Buy a condo or house or open any business that you like and you can work there to make money and receive PR for all your family. My brother got his PR from buying a beach condo in Guaruja, a beach resort in coastal Sao Paulo."

-------

quote from Dr. Naam: "= incorrect information! i bought two building plots in Brazil (Itaipava/Petropolis, 80 km north of Rio) and planned to settle in Brazil. investment in real estate property does NOT entitle you to obtain a residence permit. you need to invest $ 50k in an existing company or form a company and proof that you are providing new employment opportunities for brazilians."

Dr Naam if you buy a condo first, then apply for PR , best to apply through a immigration lawyer in Sao Paulo, fees about 2000USD, fast and easy, then after you get PR, then you will be able to invest in more lands, farn estates, ect. You may have the order messed up.

My info is correct, you can invest in a condo and receive permanent residency absolutely. My brother and also his friends have done it. I got something from the website:

please read it. It works as following:

BRAZILIAN RESIDENT INVESTOR STATUS PROGRAM

A law was passed on October 6th, 2004 in Brazil whereby the fee for obtaining a permanent residency was lowered from $200,000 to only $50,000 USD. This money does not have to be spent but can sit in the Brazilian company bank account collecting interest. The funds can even be borrowed from family and friends as the $50,000 can be bank wired back out of Brazil once the applicant receives permanent residency. A Brazilian company must be formed and the bank account of that Brazilian company must be registered with the Central Bank of Brazil. The $50,000 USD must pass through the Central Bank into the investor's Brazilian company bank account which remains under the investor's control at all times.

You can obtain a permanent residency, by investing in a business - for example it could be in real estate such a rental apartment or it could be in an investment in a fish farm which is a fast growing industry here.

Money transfer - It is worth mentioning that when you transfer the money legally, from your bank through the Central Bank of Brazil (Banco Central) to your own bank account in Brazil, that the money remains yours and stays with you at your disposal at all times and under your sole control.

Comparison to Central America Residency Investor Programs - There simply is no comparison. Central American countries like Costa Rica charge $50,000 USD to obtain a second residency, but the investment goes to government tree planting projects that you have no control over and it is doubtful that you will ever receive a penny of profit. Consider it a donation.

Choosing the investment - You can choose your own investment and may use our help on that. If you buy an apartment, or any other real property, it will be registered in your name and the system of registration in Brazil is 100% fool proof and has been operating for many years successfully for our overseas investors. We have clients from all over the world including Asia, Europe and North America.

Holiday apartment - It might be an excellent idea for you to invest your money here in a holiday apartment, where you could spend your vacations in the wonderful environment of Fortaleza, and enjoy the 5 star shopping center "Iguatemi" and the largest waterpark in South America, "Beach Park".

We would propose for a number of reasons you consider our Brazilian Resident Investor Status program.

Some of the reasons for this are:

1. The ability for applicant to work in their own business.

2. Minimum amount of time required per year to be there

3. The fact that the program is pre-approved by the government

4. Unrestricted. Applicant and family members may work at any endeavor.

5. Includes entire family including spouse and children up to 18 years.

6. Brazilian Citizenship and Passport possible in only 4 years time.

7. Cost as little as $50,000 per family.

8. Favorable Tax and Extradition laws.

"Resident Investor Status" through this Program.

No personal appearance in Brazil is required for processing. All your documents can be sent to our offices and the process can be completed in 45 to 60 days. You will pick up the Permanent Visa at the Brazilian embassy or consulate in your home country and then you will enter Brazil with the "Resident Investor Status".

Unlike former Brazilian residency programs which restrict you and your family to certain areas of Brazil, our program offers residency anywhere in Brazil for applicant and family. You choose when, where and how you live and work in Brazil. After 4 years you and your family can apply for citizenship and passport/s. In addition you do NOT have to remain in Brazil during your residency. You can visit for as little as a few days every two years.

An interesting note is that if you are single, a Brazilian Citizenship and Passport is possible after only one year of marriage to a Brazilian citizen.

A Resident Investor has most of the rights of a Brazilian Citizen except political. They can not vote or get politically involved.

Requirements to become a citizen are time in country as stated above and must be able to speak a reasonable amount of Portuguese. There are no further requirements.

Dr Naam if you buy a condo first, then apply for PR , best to apply through a immigration lawyer in Sao Paulo, fees about 2000USD, then after you get PR, then you will be able to invest in more lands, farn estates, ect. You may have the order messed up.

Quote from Tropo: The main problem I forsee with Brazil is that it's a huge country and it could take some time to decide where to settle.

Could you offer a suggestion on where to start exploring such a huge country.

Do you travel between cities by rail, road or air? Is air travel expensive

answer: yes the tremendous size of the country and the hundreds of cities to choose from is a problem.

I reccommend some cities to visit for beginners. Brasil is difficult for beginners. But the fun will begin once you settle down, get a condo, learn some basic language skills, know your way around, then get a car, then Brasil is paradise.

Some of the very popular destinations, start from the Northeast: Fortaleza, Maceio, Natal, Vitoria, are all very safe and easy to navigate, all year round warm weather, beautiful beaches, and cheap living cost. Or you like smaller beach towns, Olinda, Porto Seguro are perfect.

Then the Sao Paulo coast, there are hundreds of beautiful towns on the Sao Paulo coast, but I reccommend Santos, Guaruja, Sao Vicente, Bertioga, all are nice beach cities, but somewhat seasonal, get cold in the winter, but packed from Oct to march. If you have a car, very nice to move around the SP coast. Summer times packed with t-string babes on all the SP coastal beaches. My brother stays in Guaruja and he owns a car and so nice to visit all the coastal cities in SP state. The sheer number of nice babes is astonishing in SP.

Rio de Janeiro coast: some really beautiful cities on the Rio coast, Angras dos Reis, Cabo Frio, and Buzios. All 3 are full of long stayers.

And the south: My favorite Florianopolis. A beautiful city with metro population of 500000, and with hundreds of beautiful beaches in it's city municipality. Very safe city. Also famous for water sports and the beautiful women.

Also some non beach cities that worth mention, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, are both very modern and very advanced cities with very high living standards. Many world class super models come from this region like Gisele Bundchen. Also Blumenau and Joinville the 2 Germanic cities also very attractive for long stay. Blumenau has the world largest Octoberfest outside of Munich.

So the choices are so wide, a person who wants to relocate to Brasil often rent a car and explore the north to south to look for his favorite location. Or at least try a few of the main areas that I mentioned by air, Brasil has lots of budget airlines as well.

Pleiadian,

believe me that i have explored ALL possible ways after spending a quarter of a million dollars to buy land and planning to build my last home. the main aspect was and still is the formation of a company

see your quote: "A Brazilian company must be formed and the bank account of that Brazilian company must be registered with the Central Bank of Brazil."

which will be monitored that it is indeed ACTIVE, not dormant, does employ brazilian employees AND PAYS TAXES. anything else you are quoting in your last posting is NOT the official government stance and does NOT comply with prevailing brazilian laws and regulations.

early last year, before we bought land and started construction in Thailand, we made a last effort and personally consulted various other respected lawyers in Brazil but to no avail. the gist these lawyers gave us was always

"how will you make a living with the income of a company which exists on paper only, doesn't do any business and pays no taxes?"

please advise how that problem will be solved by you or your brother.

addendum:

Consulate General of Brazil, SFO

quote: "for investors, an investment plan in a new business or in the expansion of an existing one (with a copy of its social charter, license to operate and proof of tax compliance), including an initial transfer of a minimum of US$50,000 and a commitment to employ Brazilian work force"

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_investor_eng.htm

Did you ever have to work?

Why did you miss out on Brazil, Chile and Argentina considering you were right there?

Yes I worked hard when I was young rather than dossing :D thats what allowed me to spend about 10 years living in various countries, I reckon it was a worthy sacrifice. All good things however come to an end, so now i'm back in the UK "working" and giving my daughter a good education in the process. :D After that who knows ? One things for sure I'll not be living out my days in the UK. :o

I popped into Brazil a couple of times but never had the inclination to stick around. The rest of the time in S America saw me popping across borders into various places. Argentina and Chile among them but I did'nt live there so can't realy comment. Had a great time though. :D

I am just back from living in Thailand. Starting to appreciate the choices i have as a European citizen. I am from the Netherlands which is a nice country is some ways and horrible in others. Same like everywhere. It is just balancing the good and bad things as these are very personal. My personal choice is a good education for my children and i can find this more easy in a western country.

First i will be staying for around a year in Austria, somehere around Graz, which is a wonderfull city. In 3 hours driving i can be in Vienna, Croatia or Venice. Within easy reach are the French and Italian rivieras. Pick up some culture in Vienna, Milan, Rome, Budhapest, Berlin, Barcelona, Athenes, etc.

So many choices.

The biggest difference i noticed is the quality for money. In Thailand there is limited choice if you are not in Bangkok. You can choose cheap or cheaper, both with low to very low quality.

The one thing i hope i can keep is the ability to travel and live in interesting places. Thailand was one, and is still on the list for retirement.

For now my wife, me and our children enjoy the choices of countries we have.