Mangosteen still available?

FMFK86

I think it's too late to buy decent ones.

2 weeks ago I bought a kilo in Bangkok to show some visiting friends. I threw the lot out as half were rock hard and the others unedible. The same went for some others I saw on sale over in Ubon. I followed the fruit sellers advise not to buy as in her words they're out of season and no good.

Way past it. We are entering the boring season for fruit IMO - no mangoes, lychees, durian. mangosteen, rambutan. Pomegranites now becoming difficult to find around my fruit-growing amphur (Kantharalak, Sisaket). In fact none of the high vitamin (and interesting) tropical 'superfruit' (but Dragon fruit still around). Mostly boring old apples and pears from China. Can get bananas and pineapple at most any time of the year of course.

OP needs to time next visit for May to August to hit the highspot of Thailand's fruit

[Mr 5-a-day-plus!]

Thank you all for your replies! I guess my dream of eating another mangosteen will not come true anytime soon.

@Santisuk: Surely you were just trying to scare me there as it is Haloween when you said that Mangoseason is over, right? There wont be any of the yellow Mangos around soon? I eat one almost every day...

Archived