Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

Millions of people would waste lots of time in Thai form-stamping bureaucracy then when the next act of terrorism takes place, it will most likely be no use to the investigation whatsoever. I don't think people here illegally will participate.

It is an impractical proposition : people might do it online if it was quick and easy, but you can be sure it wouldn't be. So they won't.

Another example of an impractical rule being put in place by someone who doesn't really have a clue of the effect in the real world. I look forward to a Thailand where merit plays a part in selecting people for the top jobs : I wonder what it will be like.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would then also suggest that there is not only a requirement for the property owner but also for the guest to report themselves to immigration should they stay outside of the province for more than 24 hours.

So I'm expected to report to Immigration every time i go from Hua Hin to Bangkok?

I'm beginning to think it would easier if I was an expat in North Korea.

Far as I know it's never been a requirement for a RESIDENT to report their presence, only for the OWNER to do so, and there is no form that I know of that they can use anyway.

Just imagine if every RESIDENT of Bkk had to report in person to immigration on return- utter CHAOS. Surely this is wrong.

If these rules were enforced, there would be chaos anyway. Wouldn't the owner have to report upon return of the resident every time he returns after staying in another province for more than 24 hours? How can he know where people stay at any time?

No. Far as I know hotels/ guesthouses etc report online, so that would leave only homeowners having to go to immigration. There is no facility for tourists/ residents to do so, so they would personally have to go to immigration.

Sorry, I should have said Just imagine if every RESIDENT and TOURIST in Bkk had to report in person to immigration on arrival.

That would only apply to tourists and residents returning to Bkk after travelling in Thailand, as obviously those arriving at the border have given their address on entering, or have they? However, probably still many thousands of people every day.

If this helps, my wife phoned HH Immigration to ask if we had to report to them within 24 hours of my arrival back home and fill out forms. They told her no, only if our address has changed from what they have on file.

A trace of sanity.

I was told the same. The over reactions on here are really funny. I do my 90 day reports and they have your address on file. They told me there is no need to report it again. Its only if I arrived in Thailand and the address is different. I know one guy posted recently on a local forum that he arrived back from the UK at 5pm and 3pm the next day he had a visit from the local bobbies to see he was at the address he stated on arrival. So checks are being done but as for those already here it is not needed. I thought Id left all those moaning Brits back in the UK but looking at the responses on TV daily it looks like I was wrong. The Thais must be sick of some Farrangs living amongst them. Edited by bim

If this helps, my wife phoned HH Immigration to ask if we had to report to them within 24 hours of my arrival back home and fill out forms. They told her no, only if our address has changed from what they have on file.

A trace of sanity.?

The moment you have reported to the police or immigration in Hua Hin, if you are staying at a private home there, you have changed address. That's the whole point with the exercise, isn't it?

This would then also suggest that there is not only a requirement for the property owner but also for the guest to report themselves to immigration should they stay outside of the province for more than 24 hours.

So I'm expected to report to Immigration every time i go from Hua Hin to Bangkok?

Far as I know it's never been a requirement for a RESIDENT to report their presence, only for the OWNER to do so, and there is no form that I know of that they can use anyway.

Just imagine if every RESIDENT of Bkk had to report in person to immigration on return- utter CHAOS. Surely this is wrong.

If these rules were enforced, there would be chaos anyway. Wouldn't the owner have to report upon return of the resident every time he returns after staying in another province for more than 24 hours? How can he know where people stay at any time?

No. Far as I know hotels/ guesthouses etc report online, so that would leave only homeowners having to go to immigration. There is no facility for tourists/ residents to do so, so they would personally have to go to immigration.

Sorry, I should have said Just imagine if every RESIDENT and TOURIST in Bkk had to report in person to immigration on arrival.

That would only apply to tourists and residents returning to Bkk after travelling in Thailand, as obviously those arriving at the border have given their address on entering, or have they? However, probably still many thousands of people every day.

Perhaps it is because the laws were created in the 1970's and there were only about 12 farangs living here. This is the problem with the past 20 years chaotic government - no time spent on revising laws, rather it's been crisis manage and fill your pockets while you can.

There are two forms relevant here:

TM28 "Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours", and

TM30 "Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay".

To them that laugh this off, good luck. The over 24 hours bit seems to not be important right now, but not reporting foreigners staying in property you own is going to be problematic, it would appear.

Edited by ParadiseLost

• 2 weeks later...

Not having read every post, can someone advise if it's nation wide? I have some one arriving next week in bangkok

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It's a national LAW, so obviously it's nationwide. It's just that no one has bothered to enforce it before, for private homeowners.

Yes, legally you need to fill in the form and take it to immigration, or the police station if you live where there is no imm. office.

No point in complaining that it isn't a good law etc. It is what it is and you can choose whether to comply or not.

When I went with my wife to the police station in the village, they didn't even know about the forms and just wrote it in their big book. Guess they never had a farang living in their area before.

• 11 months later...
On 29/10/2558 at 2:47 PM, webfact said:

Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

Nothing new and if you stay in Thailand on Multiple Entry Visum after every bordercrossing you landlord or wife ( when you not have a yellow housebook ) have to register you to. I had no idea about this til last year. Immi visited us and told my wife very politly that she have to register me after each borderrun.

On 10/29/2015 at 3:03 PM, pinkpanther99 said:

I went in and asked about this "situation" in person in Jomtien/Chonburi Immigration.  I was informed by woman that has processed my paper work for about a year that it is the responsibility of the home owner to report.

I was told there is no responsibility to the guest.  For what that's worth.  I thinking ubonjoe could give clarification and the final word on this.

On 29/10/2015 at 7:07 PM, petedk said:

Of course.

You fill in Form TM-6 (or whatever it is) before you land, report to immigration when you arrive in Hua Hin, 90 days later you report to immigration again. Is that difficult to understand? I mean... God forbid the authorities can't find you. Maybe after all that you will find time to enjoy life.

I am beginning to like the idea of wearing an electronic armband so that the immigration can track us wherever we go. Much more convenient than spending hours in each immigration office.

Or give us a yellow star to wear on our clothes.

Different coloured stars based on income is a better idea.

14 hours ago, joeyg said:

Courtesy of ubonjoe the fact is, according to the law. "We" are supposed to report after being anywhere over 24 hours different than our registered location.  It's just not enforced. Yet.

Here's the form TM 28

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

Any idea(s) what else documents you need to support that TM 28 form.

For the TM 30 its a copy of your passport front page, visa page entry stamp page, copy of TM 6, copy of the blue book, copy of the Landlords ID, phone Nr. from landlord.

So in theory when I left the provice (assumed a stay in hotels, so they will cover the paperwork there) upon return, a TM 28 will do, as long the address (as in TM30) is the same?

Would that procedure work for a border run as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother me to much, I'm almost in walking distance to my local immigration office. But my 72year old landlady is everytime very close to a heart attack when I ask her to sign the papers, what should be her duty actually, but beeing a nice guy I take care of it. If the staff at my local immigration office would be a bit more friendly, that would be a benefit too.

Edited by jethro69

Courtesy of ubonjoe the fact is, according to the law. "We" are supposed to report after being anywhere over 24 hours different than our registered location.  It's just not enforced. Yet.
Here's the form TM 28
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

Advice I got from my wife's cousin who is an immigration police officer. If asked you just got here.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, jethro69 said:

Any idea(s) what else documents you need to support that TM 28 form.

For the TM 30 its a copy of your passport front page, visa page entry stamp page, copy of TM 6, copy of the blue book, copy of the Landlords ID, phone Nr. from landlord.

So in theory when I left the provice (assumed a stay in hotels, so they will cover the paperwork there) upon return, a TM 28 will do, as long the address (as in TM30) is the same?

Would that procedure work for a border run as well.

Personally I wouldn't bother me to much, I'm almost in walking distance to my local immigration office. But my 72year old landlady is everytime very close to a heart attack when I ask her to sign the papers, what should be her duty actually, but beeing a nice guy I take care of it. If the staff at my local immigration office would be a bit more friendly, that would be a benefit too.

I think for now it's not an issue, "for us."  The hotel or home owner is technically supposed to report.  As I said the TM 28 is "on the books." but not being enforced.  I defer to ubonjoe for any immigration/visa questions.

I think Mosha's advice is pretty good for now actually. IMHO.