Sky lanterns banned in five districts of Chiang Mai

webfact

Sky lanterns banned in five districts of Chiang Mai

1091-wpcf_728x410.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai authorities yesterday issued an announcement banning the floating of sky lanterns in five districts during the traditional Yi Peng festival starting November 24, with the exception of November 25, and December 31.

The banning of sky lanterns during the Yi Peng festival from November 24-26 came after a meeting of all government officials chaired by the Chiang Mai governor to ensure aviation safety during the period.

The five districts where sky lanterns will be definitely banned starting November 24 are Muang Chiang Mai, Hang Dong, Nong Harn sub-district of San Sai district, Muang Kaew, Don Kaew, Rim Tai and Mai Sa sub-districts of Mae Rim district; and Nong Pueng, Kuew Mung, Dong Kaew, San Sai and Ta Wang Tan sub-districts of Saraphi district.

But sky lanterns will be allowed on November 25 which is the Loy Krathong day, and on December 31 which is the New Year Eve as flights will be rescheduled during these days to avoid the lantern floating.

Chiang Mai governor Pawin Chamni-prasart asked the people to understand the need for the banning and give cooperation.

Highlight of the Yi Peng festival is the floating of sky lanterns when thousands of lanterns will be floated into the sky to celebrate the full moon in the northern capital, preceding Loy Krathong by one day in November.

Previously floating sky lanterns during the Yi Peng festival was not the traditional practice. It became popular only a few years ago.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sky-lanterns-banned-in-five-districts-of-chiang-mai

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-30

"It became popular only a few years ago."

A few years ago...I have lived here for 13 years and it was happening well and truly before I came.

I agree with the other sentiments...good luck with the banning!!

The excuse after will be...no one let them off in those areas but the wind blew the lanterns there.

A few years ago...I have lived here for 13 years and it was happening well and truly before I came.

And me for 22 years and they were there. Guess they need to read up on their own history. smile.png

Been a tradition since time immemorial according to my Thai friends. Where do these upstart officials get all this rubbish from ?

The general told them.

Part of his bringing happiness to the people.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I agree with the other sentiments...good luck with the banning!!

The excuse after will be...no one let them off in those areas but the wind blew the lanterns there.

How do you know it happened before you came? There were very few sky lanterns when I first saw the Loi Krathong festival 26 years ago. I do remember seeing monks at Wat Umong letting off quite large, brightly coloured hot-air balloons, but I don't particularly remember seeing sky-lanterns around town. By contrast, the river was a mass of floating Krathongs - much more than you see now.

In fact, I remember going to Mae Hongson during Loi Krathong, one year, and being surprised to see lights in the sky. My brother-in-law and I went to investigate and discovered the source was the temple on the hill and they were small (probably 18-inch) baskets attached to a helium balloon, I think, although they may have been a small version of the hot-air balloons with a candle below. I had never seen anything like that in Chiang Mai at the time. I'm not sure if they still use those small baskets in Mae Hongson, but would be interested to know.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Been a tradition since time immemorial according to my Thai friends. Where do these upstart officials get all this rubbish from ?

Try googling Loi krathong and seeing if you can find any old pictures of Loi krathong and a sky full of lanterns from , let's say early 80's or before.

My first Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai was 1983 and I don't recall any sky lanterns (khom loi) back then. As someone else mentioned, I do remember the zillions of krathongs being floated down the Ping river with money in the krathongs. Not too far downstream, people were wading into the river to take the money from the krathongs.

What's simpler:
1) Cancelling the handful of flights coming into CNX after dark, or

2) Banning a few hundred thousand people from setting off sky lanterns throughout Chiang Mai province, including the city center during a festival that attracts Thais all the way from Bangkok and tourists from around the world.

Think on this very hard now. I'm thinking...number 1! Have the airlines reschedule their flights during the festival days and add additional day light flights, and then shut down all flights in and out after dark. Plan this a year ahead of the festival, and Bob's your Uncle. The chances of enforcing this ban? Zero percent. There are not enough cops in the province to pull it off. Or maybe Prayut will send the troops in. That would be a tourist disaster as you could kiss tourist related revenue goodbye in the following years. Are they stupid enough to go for the nuclear option? Guess we'll find out this year.

That's going to be about as effective as saying that you can only pour/shoot/throw water on people during Songkran on one day out of the three day festival that is really more like five days. Chances of enforcement. Zero percent.

Edited by connda

My first Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai was 1983 and I don't recall any sky lanterns (khom loi) back then. As someone else mentioned, I do remember the zillions of krathongs being floated down the Ping river with money in the krathongs. Not too far downstream, people were wading into the river to take the money from the krathongs.

The kids (and adults) floating in an inner-tube to take the coins off the Krathongs - I remember it well. The emphasis of the festival was definitely the river and not the sky.